• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

A Devil Doc story.

I was digging in my humi and found a cigar Doc sent me with a sticky note saying "Thanks for the CD." What CD I have no idea, we probably sent 100 back and forth while he was here. It made me think of this story.

Doc and I had this bond that started when we found out that he might have been the Corpsman who gave me my induction physical at the Philly Naval Yard Hospital in January of '72. From there we found a die-hard fans in each other of Bob Dylan and many other artist. Most notably Neil Young. Now Doc's favorite singer was Sandy Denny and for English Folk she was the Queen but even in other genres you'd have a tough time finding a better voice.

In 2010 a 19 CD career retrospective was released in Europe. It had out-takes, different version and mixes = things you would never find let alone hear. It was also about $600 by the time it got here. One of those unreleased song from 36 years earlier in 1974 was the first recorded cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door by Sandy Denny with Fairport Convention So I set my sights on getting a copy of that song for Doc. It took some time but I eventually made a trade and had a lossless copy to send. If I had to guess that was probably his favorite thing he ever got from me

The second song was Doc's and mine favorite Fairport song. This version of Tam Lin is based heavily on the Robert Burns writings although parts of the tale go back hundreds of years. I've included a Burns reading if you want a historical perspective before listening to thr song.

The Story of Tam Lin

Last edited:
A Devil Doc story.

I was digging in my humi and found a cigar Doc sent me with a sticky note saying "Thanks for the CD." What CD I have no idea, we probably sent 100 back and forth while he was here. It made me think of this story.

Doc and I had this bond that started when we found out that he might have been the Corpsman who gave me my induction physical at the Philly Naval Yard Hospital in January of '72. From there we found a die-hard fans in each other of Bob Dylan and many other artist. Most notably Neil Young. Now Doc's favorite singer was Sandy Denny and for English Folk she was the Queen but even in other genres you'd have a tough time finding a better voice.

In 2010 a 19 CD career retrospective was released in Europe. It had out-takes, different version and mixes = things you would never find let alone hear. It was also about $600 by the time it got here. One of those unreleased song from 36 years earlier in 1974 was the first recorded cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door by Sandy Denny with Fairport Convention So I set my sights on getting a copy of that song for Doc. It took some time but I eventually made a trade and had a lossless copy to send. If I had to guess that was probably his favorite thing he ever got from me

The second song was Doc's and mine favorite Fairport song. This version of Tam Lin is based heavily on the Robert Burns writings although parts of the tale go back hundreds of years. I've included a Burns reading if you want a historical perspective before listening to thr song.

The Story of Tam Lin

These are incredible.

• Love
Reactions: AVB