• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

Sunday Morning Sounds of History

After my Doc story I started to listen to some Englis Folk music which of course led me to Matty Groves or Little Musgrave in older versions. Matty Groves may be the most famous and popular of all the English folk songs, It was first written down in 1607 but is most likely hundreds of years oder than that.

In a strange twist the most familiar Fairport version had it's tune taken from an old Appalachian folk song called Shady Grove that Doc Watson recorded in 1963 and certainly played in his tours of the UK before then.

The 1st song is a more traditional version sung by Joan Baez in 1962, The 2nd song is Doc Watson doing a 2 finger flatpicking Appalachian style from 1966. The 3rd song is the well known Fairpost version from 1969. Lastly, is Nic Jones doing the oldest of the four with his rendition of Little Musgrave recorded in 1970. All 4 are different but all 4 are the same. So, if you have a half hour take a break and listen to some history.

TFT 90'S OHW

I don't know if I'd classify Soul Asylum as a OHW (Black Gold was the song that got me into them), but Runaway Train certainly was their biggest.
I love me some Tom Petty, here is one of my favorites...

The old quasi-classic rock band I was in back in Germany used to do Breakdown. I'll have to see if I can find video of it still somewhere.
J

I'll take Jason Hook for $500

Ding! Ding! Jason Hook is highly underrated as a hired gun and session guy. He's played on a lot more than most know, especially with his unfortunate tenure in 5FDP.