• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

I don't know if I'd classify Soul Asylum as a OHW (Black Gold was the song that got me into them), but Runaway Train certainly was their biggest.
Soul Asylum had at least 5 top 100 songs and some did better than others regionally but this was their only top 30 nationally AFAIK.

Last edited:
WW Intermixed with a little history and trivia.

The Andrew Sisters were arguably the most popular girl singers of the 40's through mid 50's. Pretty much the Supremes of their day.

It was in late 1960 that the Shirelle became the first of the Rock era girl groups to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 100 chart and #2 on the R&B chart with "Will You Love Me Tomorrow". Even more unusual for the day is that they were black meaning hundreds of stations wouldn't play their records. Nonetheless this tune by Gerry Goffin and Carole King still made it to the top.

The song even made the UK charts but it was the "B" side that caught the ears of the Mods and Rockers. In early 1963 the Beatles recorded "Boys" for their first UK album Pleas Please Me. It was one of 10 out of the 14 songs on the album they recorded that day and the first to feature Ringo on lead vocals.

Now if you made it this far, what Ray Charles song did The Beatles version of "Boys" borrow from?

Last edited:
WW Intermixed with a little history and trivia.

The Andrew Sisters were arguably the most popular girl singers of the 40's through mid 50's. Pretty much the Supremes of their day.

It was in late 1960 that the Shirelle became the first of the Rock era girl groups to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 100 chart and #2 on the R&B chart with "Will You Love Me Tomorrow". Even more unusual for the day is that they were black meaning hundreds of stations wouldn't play their records. Nonetheless this tune by Gerry Goffin and Carole King still made it to the top.

The song even made the UK charts but it was the "B" side that caught the ears of the Mods and Rockers. In early 1963 the Beatles recorded "Boys" for their first UK album Pleas Please Me. It was one of 10 out of the 14 songs on the album they recorded that day and the first to feature Ringo on lead vocals.

Now if you made it this far, what Ray Charles song did The Beatles version of "Boys" borrow from?

Which then led to this cover...

Last edited: