• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

I watched this video about a thousand times as a young 15-year-old. I remember a conversation with my Dad that went something like this:

DAD: Seems like you're watching that video every time I walk by your room.

ME: Um, I'm trying to figure out the little classical guitar solo in the middle of the song.

DAD: Can't you do that just by listening to the CD?

ME:

DAD:

ME: No.

The above post made me start to think - Who had the best remake ever? Some examples are:

Gladys Knight And The Pips, Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through The Grapevine
The Beatles: Twist and Shout, The Top Notes
Jimi Hendrix Experience: All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Ike & Tina Turner: Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Aretha Franklin: Respect (Otis Redding)
Sinead O’Connor: Nothing Compares 2 U (The Family-Prince)
Whitney Houston: I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton)
Johnny Cash: Hurt (NIN)
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts: I Love Rock And Roll (The Arrows)

What is your choice? There hundreds of good covers but who took it away from the original artist?

The above post made me start to think - Who had the best remake ever? Some examples are:

What is your choice? There hundreds of good covers but who took it away from the original artist?
There are some good ones on that list... This one is the first thing that comes to mind... (Leonard Cohen)

Loved this one as well, I wore this song out, when it came out...(James Ray)

Last edited:

Country music connoisseurs would probably argue against this until the end of time, but I think it's unmistakable that more people these days associate "Tennessee Whiskey" with Chris Stapleton than they do with David Allan Coe or George Jones.

I've heard a lot of original-artist-endorsements of covers before, but the only artist I've ever heard say, "That's not my song anymore; it belongs to him now...", is Trent Reznor in reference to Johnny Cash. I will say, though, that pretty much all of the songs you listed above are probably more well-known popularly than the original recordings.

One I'll have to add, for humor's sake (and my wife's perpetual embarrassment that I will never, EVER let her live down), is apparently Johnny Cash's countrified cover of Social Distortion's "Ring Of Fire". 🤣 ;)

I've heard a lot of original-artist-endorsements of covers before, but the only artist I've ever heard say, "That's not my song anymore; it belongs to him now...", is Trent Reznor in reference to Johnny Cash.
It wasn't those exact words, but Bob Dylan said something to that effect in reference to Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower".