• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

I've heard a lot of original-artist-endorsements of covers before, but the only artist I've ever heard say, "That's not my song anymore; it belongs to him now...", is Trent Reznor in reference to Johnny Cash. I will say, though, that pretty much all of the songs you listed above are probably more well-known popularly than the original recordings.

One I'll have to add, for humor's sake (and my wife's perpetual embarrassment that I will never, EVER let her live down), is apparently Johnny Cash's countrified cover of Social Distortion's "Ring Of Fire". 🤣 ;)
Without seeing you I can't tell if you are serious or just wrote it backwards. I'm hoping for not serious

Without seeing you I can't tell if you are serious or just wrote it backwards. I'm hoping for not serious
I thought the "apparently" would give it away but, yes, it was meant in jest. A loooooong time ago my wife was riding in the car with me when Ring Of Fire came on (JC) one of my CDs, and she looked like she just ate a lemon: "Oh my God, he did a country cover of this?!?"

One of the first and few album covers censored because of words rather than image. It meant little outside the British empire and doesn't directly translate to anything terribly obscene here.
"Never Mind The Balls, Here's The Sex Pistols" just isn't that bad.

Sex-Pistols-Never-Mind-The-Bollocks.jpg

Linky<

Shout "FIRE" in a theater, use your theory and then get back to me about consequences.
Perhaps I can shout "FIRE" in an empty theater, while you shout "FIRE" in a theater in Shanghai that is filled to capacity;
that way we can both prove my point.

Perhaps I can shout "FIRE" in an empty theater, while you shout "FIRE" in a theater in Shanghai that is filled to capacity;
that way we can both prove my point.
All you've proven is you know not what you speak. If this is the best you can do after 4 days I'd give up your dream of making the debate team.

This pre-dates the final form of Evanescence that hit it big in the early '00s, but Amy Lee's presence and voice were undeniable even back then. She eventually settled into her role as the face of the band, which would be a catalyst for Ben Moody leaving the band (which was really just a duo of Lee and Moody). I was not yet in Arkansas, so obviously not at this show, but I have been to quite a few shows at Vino's -- I saw a pre-breakout Five Finger Death Punch there, and then saw them co-headline a sold out arena in Frankfurt, Germany about ten years later. Lots of future big names have passed through Vino's basement.

Holy Mary Mother of Dog... why did it take me so long to listen to this one!?! As a performance, this rivals the first Metallica S&M from 1999; I got chills. I'm sure there's some studio trickery going on with the board mixes but, holy hell -- Dr. Holland has still got pipes at his age. The transition from solo to full band was a bit rocky, but once it kicked in they sounded phenomenal. Brian May can duet with any band or artist and sound natural as can be.

(Another band I saw at The Electric Factory, IIRC)