• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

Three for Tuesday
Taking a break from the OHW of the 90's today.

Today is a short introduction to one of the people you might know of but don't really know - Rick Derringer.

Rick got his break at 17 playing on "Hang on Sloopy" with The McCoys in 1965. A song that held off The Beatles' Yesterday at #1 for a number of weeks before it took over that spot for 7 weeks.

In 1970 The McCoys joined Johnny Winter and Rick started producing and playing on both Johnny and Edgar Winter's albums resulting in 5 Gold and Platinum albums over the next 5 years. In early 1972 he heard a demo of some songs and helped that group get it's first record deal. That was Steely Dan. He also released 3 solo albums with All American Boy and Derringer LIVE! being quite good. His version of the song he wrote in 1970 and was covered by both Edgar and Johnny Winter - "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" charted higher than either. In the second half of the 70's he played on 4 Todd Rundgren albums and a few songs for Steely Dan.

The 80's saw Rick again working with Steely Dan, Meatloaf, Bonny Tyler, Cyndi Lauper and Barbara Streisand. He also worked as a studio musician and produced and played on 6 Weird Al records. He does the guitar and solo on "Eat It below.

The last 20 years has seen Rick involved with Christian and Blues records more than anything else.

Last edited:
Three for Tuesday
Taking a break from the OHW of the 90's today.

Today is a short introduction to one of the people you might know of but don't really know - Rick Derringer.

Rick got his break at 17 playing on "Hang on Sloopy" with The McCoys in 1965. A song that held off The Beatles' Yesterday at #1 for a number of weeks before it took over that spot for 7 weeks.

In 1970 The McCoys joined Johnny Winter and Rick started producing and playing on both Johnny and Edgar Winter's albums resulting in 5 Gold and Platinum albums over the next 5 years. In early 1972 he heard a demo of some songs and helped that group get it's first record deal. That was Steely Dan. He also released 3 solo albums with All American Boy and Derringer LIVE! being quite good. His version of the song he wrote in 1970 and was covered by both Edgar and Johnny Winter - "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" charted higher than either. In the second half of the 70's he played on 4 Todd Rundgren albums and a few songs for Steely Dan.

The 80's saw Rick again working with Steely Dan, Meatloaf, Bonny Tyler, Cyndi Lauper and Barbara Streisand. He also worked as a studio musician and produced and played on 6 Weird Al records. He does the guitar and solo on "Eat It below.

The last 20 years has seen Rick involved with Christian and Blues records more than anything else.

I had heard "Hang On Sloopy" a billion times growing up, but even later on as a guitar geek I never knew Rick Derringer played on that! My introduction to Rick was through the World Wrestling Federation; he played on a bunch of songs back on the "Piledriver" album that the WWF put out in the 80s featuring their top stars. Most notably, he played R&RHK with Hulk Hogan on bass.

I had heard "Hang On Sloopy" a billion times growing up, but even later on as a guitar geek I never knew Rick Derringer played on that! My introduction to Rick was through the World Wrestling Federation; he played on a bunch of songs back on the "Piledriver" album that the WWF put out in the 80s featuring their top stars. Most notably, he played R&RHK with Hulk Hogan on bass.

Hogan was a guitarist in a band until he quit to go to wrestling school so can play. How well I don't know. Rick was heavily involved in both of the WWE records.