• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

The Who
The Forum, Anaheim, Ca 11/23/73
Lynyrd Skynyrd opening

One of the odder pairing in my concert history but with both recording for MCA records at the time that was probably the reason since "Pronounced" only came out 3 months prior. Skynyrd even had a song called Working for MCA. In any case they sounded horrible, whoever was doing the mixing must have never worked in the Forum before. In support of their first album they played a number of songs considered classics now, Gimme Three Steps, Tuesdays Gone, Simple Man and of course, Free Bird. The songs were good enough to remember just as the sound was bad enough to remember. Being LA and not really a southern rock crowd they could have been perfect and still not be well received.

People were there to see The Who and their new double album Quadrophenia. Being in that time when Quad recods were being pushed and with a name like Quadrophenia The Who were the second major group after Yes to tour with a 4 channel system. 2 huge 2 story tall stacks of speakers were suspended from the Forum's roof at the far end from the stage. I always wondered what the people under them thought about that.

The Who started with some early stuff - I Can't Explain, Summertime Blues and My Generation before delving into the new album with I Am The Sea, Bell Boy, I'm One, 5:15 and Love Reign O'er Me and more closing out with 3 from Tommy and 2 encores. The sound ststem was amazing for the time. Sounds moving forward and back, swirling around in one direction and the reversing, Roger's vocal coming from the front while Pete's came out of the rear. The guy on the soundboard had it down pat. One of my favorite concerts.

I can highly recommend the 5.1 mix of Quadrophenia.

Last edited: