• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

Now for something........shall I say unusual here in North America. If you were on the cutting edge of World music say 15-20 years ago you would have seen the rise of Die Antwoord out of South Africa become one of the biggest selling acts in 3 continents and get almost no mention here. Now I wasn't that tuned in nor do I care for most of what they play but a friend came back raving about them and I have to admit some is intriguing but I did have to dig for it. Nothing worth keeping but still amusing when I run across it.

I think this was their breakout song but I could be wrong.

Controversial? Enough that the big chain stores made the record company change it. Can't have toilets corrupting the youth.

According to Wiki:
Five versions of the album cover were produced:
  • No. 1: The original cover features the group in a bathroom, sitting in a bathtub with a toilet in the corner. These were pulled from stores after the toilet was judged indecent; since then they have since become a collector's item, with one copy selling at an auction for $300.]
  • No. 2: Most of the toilet bowl is covered with a scroll listing the presence of "California Dreamin'" on the album.
  • No. 3: Two additional songs from the album are shown on the scroll: "Monday, Monday" and "I Call Your Name".
  • No. 4: Same as No. 3 but with a gold record award blurb added (in black) to the left of the group.
  • No. 5: Black cover with a closely cropped shot of the group that hid the fact that the picture was taken in a bathroom.

Version 1
  • MP1.jpg

Version 2
    MP2.jpg

Now for something........shall I say unusual here in North America. If you were on the cutting edge of World music say 15-20 years ago you would have seen the rise of Die Antwoord out of South Africa become one of the biggest selling acts in 3 continents and get almost no mention here. Now I wasn't that tuned in nor do I care for most of what they play but a friend came back raving about them and I have to admit some is intriguing but I did have to dig for it. Nothing worth keeping but still amusing when I run across it.

They were different to say the least... When I would hear one of their songs, it always made me think of Grimes, Elon Musk baby momma...

When Neil Blompkamp was making the movie Chappie, he wanted Die Antwoord, as he was a big fan of the group at the time, to have pivotal roles in the film. Once production happened he quickly regretted it as working with Ninja proved to be a complete nightmare. In post Neil, tried to cut out every scene he could with Ninja without sacrificing the story.

They were different to say the least... When I would hear one of their songs, it always made me think of Grimes, Elon Musk baby momma...

Gold Star for you. There were so many things in you post I didn't know. I didn't know Musk had a baby momma, didn't know she sang and didn't know that she is in the same vocal range as Yolandi.

When Neil Blompkamp was making the movie Chappie, he wanted Die Antwoord, as he was a big fan of the group at the time, to have pivotal roles in the film. Once production happened he quickly regretted it as working with Ninja proved to be a complete nightmare. In post Neil, tried to cut out every scene he could with Ninja without sacrificing the story.
Damn, you're all over this.