• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

WW

When I first heard Brittany Howard (from Alabama Shakes) I thought to myself "this is the reincarnation of Sister Rosetta Tharpe". Years later, Brittany was the one chosen to induct her into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I posted about Sister Tharpe back in April 2017 :rolleyes:

ww - kettő

Not that I don't enjoy looking at her legs in a skirt, I'm glad she has gotten away from that as her stage attire and the focus is now just on her playing. I've talked about her in the past -- she's gotten much better as a guitarist and quasi-blues player. As much as I like Gibson SGs, I do miss the Fishcaster.

Been a bit, time for some AVB trivia.

We all know the classic song Wild Horses written by Jagger/Richards and released on Sticky Fingers. But did you know that version was released over a year after it was first recorded by these guys.

Jagger and Richards weren't happy with the original demo and shelved it for a while until they got back to it.

This one is a little sketchy since I didn't take any notes but it is one show I won't forget.

There was this red-headed girl named Becky that I had the hots for since the first time I saw her. Now I'm usually not a red hair fan but Becky had it all going on. The only problem was she was dating someone else for a long time, well before I rolled into town. But all good things come to those who wait and sometime in March '76 I heard she had broken up with that other guy. I waited a couple of weeks before taking my shot and was immediately turned down. She had already rebounded to someone else. About a month goes by and I see her sitting in the club not looking her best with red puffy eyes and makeup running. I tell her that she needs something to eat if she is planning to drink all night. So off we go to one of the few non-bbq places I frequent and we sit and talk for a few hours. It gets to the point in the evening where I tell her I can drop her off at her place or back at the bar. Her place it is and I ask if I can take her out again. I get a yes and a phone number.

Things go pretty normal for a few months when I find out that she likes Kenny Loggins who happens to be playing in town in about a month. The show is in an old theater so even with a sellout the crowd can't be more than 1200 plus we have decent seats.. Showtime arrives and for that moment in time there was nobody who looked better in a t-shirt and jeans.. The show starts and she's clapping, singing along with the song and having a much better time than I until.....

Kenny starts playing "House at Pooh Corner"

Her face goes slack, tears well up and she starts crying. I don't mean sobbing making whimpering noises into you hands but full on "Your mother just died" Me, I'm sitting there not knowing what the fuck is going on. So I offer to take her to the ladies room but she says she'll go herself and pushes me away. After about 15 minutes I start hanging out near the bathroom door. After 10 more minutes I have somebody check. No Becky. I check the other bathrooms - no Becky. The lounge - no Becky, Refreshment area - no Becky. I convince one of the security guards to let me go yo my car anf let me back in. I leave a note on the windshield. The concert ends and still no Becky. I wait another hour by the car and finally leave. A week of calling with no answer flnally I get a call in this teary voice saying she was sorry but wouldn't tell me why. About a month later her girlfriend, the one she called to pick her up from the show, told me that Becky had been engaged to that first guy and when he broke it off....guess what was playing?

I never did see her again but I'm never going to forget that concert either.

Last edited: