• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Dailey Jam Session 2023 (Post the sound vibrations that pair with your smoking pleasure)

AVB's somewhat interesting musical trivia. On Crosby, Still & Nash released in late May 1969 and on Volunteers released in November 1969 the same song is on both albums but neither one is a cover of the other. How can that be?

AVB's somewhat interesting musical trivia. On Crosby, Still & Nash released in late May 1969 and on Volunteers released in November 1969 the same song is on both albums but neither one is a cover of the other. How can that be?
Because Paul Kantner was one of the song writers and was in both bands ?

Because Paul Kantner was one of the song writers and was in both bands ?
Almost correct. Wooden Ships was written by Stephen Stills, David Crosby and Paul Kantner. Stephen Stills contributed some unaccredited guitar on Volunteers, It is thought that the real reason he was there was to play with Wally Heiders new 16 track console, only the 2nd one in the US at the time.

After competing for Britain in the 1968 winter Olympics a then 20 year old Luke O'Reilly entered Dartmouth where he graduated in 3 years and somehow - most likely because he was young, British and had a stack of records that you couldn't get in the states, got a job on WMMR in Philadelphia. WMMR was at the time one of the most progressive radio stations in the country. One of the singles Luke brought over was the first single by a Lomdon band just starting to gain notice there. That group was Yes and their cover of thr Beatles Every Little Thing. While this was taken off the Yes album which was released in 1969 it was for all intents, new to the US. The playing of the single created a local demand for more Yes music leading the station, with Luke in the forefront, to play the first Yes album and Time And a Word, their second. Six months later when Atlantic Records released the song Roundabout off of Yes's third album Fragile the Philly area was by far the largest market.

While I can't say what made me think of Luke this morning I still love that first Yes song I heard so long ago,

Last edited: