• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BOTL's in Arms Pass

Ok fellas, its time for our first contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This contest will be two parts, one that can be won now, and one that can be won at the end of the pass. So here goes.

Part A: First person to answer all questions correctly wins.

The first contest is going to be a series of five questions reguarding the M1 Garand. Which I consider to be one of the most significant firearms in US History.

1.What two individuals did the U.S. Army hire to design the new Semi-Automatic rifle that would be the M1 Garand?

2.What was the originally designed caliber of the M1 Garand?

3.Why was the Original Caliber of the M1 Garand Changed?

4.When did deliveries of the M1 Garand to the US Army start?

5.What year did the army officially changeover from the M1 Garand?

Contest Part B: You can make your guess on this part until Dec.22nd at 9:00pm.

What will the final ammo number (last numbered cigar) in the Pass be?

Now lets hear them answers fellas!
B

Since you posted this in the lobby, I assume anyone can participate? If not then I'll make this spoiler text (highlight to read)

1: John Garand and John Kewish

2: .276

3: In order to have compatibility with the existing .30-06 arms

4: Adopted 1936, first deliveries 1937

5: 1957, replaced by the M14

Ok, here we go:

1.What two individuals did the U.S. Army hire to design the new Semi-Automatic rifle that would be the M1 Garand? John Cantius Garand and John Pederson

2.What was the originally designed caliber of the M1 Garand? .276 (7mm x 53mm)

General Douglas MacArthur overruled the decision and ordered the production of a rifle chambered for the WW I surplus .30 caliber ammo. It was the early years of the Great Depression and Congress was in the process of cutting military spending… there were simply no funding for the production of the new .276 cartridges.

4.When did deliveries of the M1 Garand to the US Army start? 1937

5.What year did the army officially changeover from the M1 Garand? 1957

Thanks for the contest.

Guess for part 2 of the contest.

What will the final ammo number (last numbered cigar) in the Pass be? 104

Got too excited about part one and forgot to answer part 2. :laugh:

Ok, here we go:

1.What two individuals did the U.S. Army hire to design the new Semi-Automatic rifle that would be the M1 Garand? John Cantius Garand and John Pederson

2.What was the originally designed caliber of the M1 Garand? .276 (7mm x 53mm)

General Douglas MacArthur overruled the decision and ordered the production of a rifle chambered for the WW I surplus .30 caliber ammo. It was the early years of the Great Depression and Congress was in the process of cutting military spending… there were simply no funding for the production of the new .276 cartridges.

Thanks for the contest.

Very close you are boomer, but a little further to go.
B

OK, since there is no posted limit on the number of guesses, here is my revised guess.

1.What two individuals did the U.S. Army hire to design the new Semi-Automatic rifle that would be the M1 Garand? John Garand and John Pederson

2.What was the originally designed caliber of the M1 Garand? .30 caliber

John Garand originally designed the M1 in .30 caliber. The rifle was also developed in .276, a round developed by John Pederson. It provided for a lighter, slimmer rifle with a capacity of 10 rounds vs the 8 rounds for the .30 caliber.

In testing by the military, both the .276 and the .30 caliber were tested. The one sample in .30 caliber that was submitted failed with a broken breach block. After modifications and additional testing, both the .30 and .276 calibers were approved. Later, the Infantry and Cavalry boards ran trials which resulted in the .30 Garand being dropped in favor of the .276 model.

General Douglas MacArthur overruled the decision and ordered the production of the rifle chambered for the WW I surplus .30 caliber ammo. It was the early years of the Great Depression and Congress was in the process of cutting military spending… there was simply no funding for the production of the new .276 cartridges.

So, in the end, the original caliber was not changed. Or, it was changed twice. Depends on how you look at it.

Is this a little closer? :D

Thanks again for the contest.

Then the answer to question 2 would be John Garand and John Kewish.

One of the papers I read put Kewish in the background, more of just an employer, and Pederson as an implied co-designer. I have found another one that does spell out the co-designer relationship between Garand and Kewish.

Funny though. If the battle between Garand and Kewish for the patent had gone the other way, we may have been calling the rifle the “M1 Kewish”. :laugh:

Revision 3:

1.What two individuals did the U.S. Army hire to design the new Semi-Automatic rifle that would be the M1 Garand? John Garand and John Kewish

2.What was the originally designed caliber of the M1 Garand? .30 caliber

John Garand originally designed the M1 in .30 caliber. The rifle was also developed in .276, a round developed by John Pederson. It provided for a lighter, slimmer rifle with a capacity of 10 rounds vs the 8 rounds for the .30 caliber.

In testing by the military, both the .276 and the .30 caliber were tested. The one sample in .30 caliber that was submitted failed with a broken breach block. After modifications and additional testing, both the .30 and .276 calibers were approved. Later, the Infantry and Cavalry boards ran trials which resulted in the .30 Garand being dropped in favor of the .276 model.

General Douglas MacArthur overruled the decision and ordered the production of the rifle chambered for the WW I surplus .30 caliber ammo. It was the early years of the Great Depression and Congress was in the process of cutting military spending… there was simply no funding for the production of the new .276 cartridges.

So, in the end, the original caliber was not changed. Or, it was changed twice. Depends on how you look at it.

Isn't anybody else playing?

Recieved the pass today guys. Had a slight issue with the way USPS handled it but its nothing serious. I've PM'ed Jake about the problem and we came up with a solution. I will post P/T's as soon as they are approved.

Jamie

I will give you a hint Boomer52. The answer that I was looking for was Garand and Pedersen. So you had that one right.
B

Soooo, sorry I havent been too active lately, all this traveling has got me tied up!

Wow, this is one hell of a contest, lets see what I can do.......

1. John Garand and John Pederson

2. .30-06 (.30 cal) the .276 was produced in 1927, after the original M1922, and the M1924 prototypes.

3. It technically was not changed, as stated above. The .30-06 was not favored in the trials against the .276, and the .30-06 production was dropped. Then in 1931 the rifles were tested again, including a single .30-06 rifle, which experienced a bolt failure. The .276 rifle beat out the competition. After the garand won, an improved .30-06 was tested and upon hearing these results, McArthur (who didn't like reducing calibers) ordered all efforts to be put into improving the .30-06...so yeah, it changed twice, and because they didn't want to use a reduced caliber in the main battle rifle.

4. 75 rifles were issued to the army in 1934. The final production models, however, were standardised in 1936 and were issued in 1937.

5. The M14 was instroduced to replace the M1 rifle in 1957, however, the M1 was still in service until the change over was completed in 1965.

But then again...I could be wrong...

contest #2

the final number will be 116

Thanks!

edited to fix grammar and spelling

Ok her are my approved P/T's

T) 15: Illusione 2 P) 56: Don Pepin JJ Maduro

T) 24: Illusone hl P) 53 Liga Pravada #9 Corona Double

T) 25: Cruzado Marelas perfecto P) 54: Padron 1926 #35

T) 30: El Triunfador Lancero P) 55: Tatuaje Unicos

Sending a PM to Brewmeister now to verify address. Hope to have it on the road tomorrow if i hear back from him this evening.

Ok her are my approved P/T's

T) 15: Illusione 2 P) 56: Don Pepin JJ Maduro

T) 24: Illusone hl P) 53 Liga Pravada #9 Corona Double

T) 25: Cruzado Marelas perfecto P) 54: Padron 1926 #35

T) 30: El Triunfador Lancero P) 55: Tatuaje Unicos

Sending a PM to Brewmeister now to verify address. Hope to have it on the road tomorrow if i hear back from him this evening.

All set here in Pennsylvania! :thumbs:

Soooo, sorry I havent been too active lately, all this traveling has got me tied up!

2. .30-06 (.30 cal) the .276 was produced in 1927, after the original M1922, and the M1924 prototypes.

3. It technically was not changed, as stated above. The .30-06 was not favored in the trials against the .276, and the .30-06 production was dropped. Then in 1931 the rifles were tested again, including a single .30-06 rifle, which experienced a bolt failure. The .276 rifle beat out the competition. After the garand won, an improved .30-06 was tested and upon hearing these results, McArthur (who didn't like reducing calibers) ordered all efforts to be put into improving the .30-06...so yeah, it changed twice, and because they didn't want to use a reduced caliber in the main battle rifle.

4. 75 rifles were issued to the army in 1934. The final production models, however, were standardised in 1936 and were issued in 1937.

5. The M14 was instroduced to replace the M1 rifle in 1957, however, the M1 was still in service until the change over was completed in 1965.

contest #2

Thanks!

We got a winner! Good job Marn. Boomer you were close, but #5 was what got you. They were not fully changed over from the M1 till 1965. #2 was a question that could go both ways, because John Garand started with 30 cal, and Pedersen used .276.
B

contest #2

Thanks!

We got a winner! Good job Marn. Boomer you were close, but #5 was what got you. They were not fully changed over from the M1 till 1965. #2 was a question that could go both ways, because John Garand started with 30 cal, and Pedersen used .276.
B

I will be sending you a nice sampler next week for winning the contest! Thanks for runnning these for the pass Brandon!

Just to clarify, the JJ maddie is a Belicoso. The lineup and map will soon be updated, and on we travel!

contest #2

Thanks!

B

Congrats to Dr. Marn. It was a fun contest. Thanks G&C. Researching this was fun and educational.

Sorry if I stole your thunder!!! Good job though boomer, I had no idea if I was more or less correct than you in any of my answers.

Jake, when you are going to send the package, lemmie know, depending on the timing It might need to go to NH rather than NV.

Thanks for the contest!!! I learned alot about the M1, haha.

I found a pic of my functional but modest reloading setup. Its not much but it gets the job done. I mostly only reload .40's becuase they are so expensive to shoot. I have only been reloading for about 2 years (off and on).

347924793.jpg