• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

A grass fed and finished ribeye from this local place called Swallow Hill Farms. Glad I found them. Hands down best beef I can remember since I was a little kid. Seasoned, cooked brussel sprouts…

I have to go visit Swallow Hill Farms! I just looked at their website and now I'm hungry!!

Sauteed pheasant breast with oyster mushrooms, paired with roasted Brussel sprouts and topped with a bit of arugula.

A coworker is an avid hunter and he recently gave me a full pheasant breast, but it was skinned and in multiple pieces so I couldn't follow the recipe exactly. I ended up sauteing them in butter, then I cooked the oyster mushrooms in the pheasant butter while the meat was resting. This was the first time I've ever cooked or eaten a pheasant. It's more like a pork chop than chicken, but it's also really easy to overcook. I was pretty happy with the results and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.

2022-04-03 19.36.17.jpg

Sauteed pheasant breast with oyster mushrooms, paired with roasted Brussel sprouts and topped with a bit of arugula.

A coworker is an avid hunter and he recently gave me a full pheasant breast, but it was skinned and in multiple pieces so I couldn't follow the recipe exactly. I ended up sauteing them in butter, then I cooked the oyster mushrooms in the pheasant butter while the meat was resting. This was the first time I've ever cooked or eaten a pheasant. It's more like a pork chop than chicken, but it's also really easy to overcook. I was pretty happy with the results and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.

View attachment 53853
I grew up eating pheasant a lot, one of my favorites. Looks delicious!

I have to go visit Swallow Hill Farms! I just looked at their website and now I'm hungry!!
I don’t think you will be disappointed. Tim the owner is a nice guy. Call first though. Not a huge operation by any means. Sometimes they run out of stuff. Eggs there are really great too!

View attachment 53853
That just looks amazing! ETA: What was the sauce on the pheasant?

Last edited:
A grass fed and finished ribeye from this local place called Swallow Hill Farms. Glad I found them. Hands down best beef I can remember since I was a little kid. Seasoned, cooked brussel sprouts…
View attachment 53837

What's in the sauce dish (ramekin?)? It almost looks like creamy Italian dressing..

What was the sauce on the pheasant?
It's just an ad lib: reduced beef stock, red wine and thyme and let it simmer while everything else was cooking. Then I added soy sauce and red wine vinegar until it tasted right and mounted it with butter. As Anthony Bourdain said, "An ounce of sauce covers a multitude of sins."

My fiancee and I were up in wine country this past weekend. Me being a foodie, we always eat well. Tried a new restaurant that was recommended to us by her sister. When I saw "dry-aged porterhouse" on the menu I knew it would be hard to not go for it. I asked the waitress how long was it aged for. She said 45 days. Decision made.

Now that is a meat sauce!
Ground beef, mushrooms, store bought sauce and cab sauv (plus seasoning) and simmer it until it thickens up. This is thicker than we usually do because I got distracted with the sauce and forgot to get the water boiling 🤣 I was still happy with it.

This is the kind of sauce that the Italian chefs do the really negative reaction videos to 🤣🤣