• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What local food would you miss most?

I'd miss a nice thick Mid-West STEAK. :thumbs:

I've been on the left coast and the beef out there sucks. Then again, the seafood in the mid-west isn't all the good either.

Good topic, the moral of it to me is that you go to any area and don't eat the local specialty you are doing yourself a grave injustice. I left Ohio 6 years ago after being there all my life. I miss food there yeah, but I have a lot of new favorites as well.

There is a Mexican restaurant that serves a beef brisket taco, not on the menu and only in Texas will you find great Tex-Mex like it. Brisket down here is the best. In my 6 years down here I have really come to love it the most; but anything barbeque is gonna be good. (I think Tenessee barbeques pork a bit better.)

I like all the Cajun food that has found its way a few hundred miles West as well. Louisiana knows how to cook. I need a wheelbarrow to haul my ass out of that state every time I am there.

Southerners in general can fry things a Yank like me would never think of frying and make them incredible. Fried corn on the cob, fried Okra, fried turkey, the list goes on and on. Chicken Fried Chicken, and Chicken Fried Steak still confuses me, like em both. The white gravy that gets poured onto everything is delicous as well. I recon' y'all can keep your sweet tea to yunselves. :D

Soo many of you New Englanders mentioning clams. I really love the clams called "steamers". Dip them in the seasoned water then the drawn butter, delicious!! Chowder is great whether red or white and the two factions can debate it all they want, I'll keep eating both.

I have a friend up in Chi town and leave there 10 pounds heavier every visit. I love the juice dripping Italian beef sandwiches, and deep dish pizza, but you are forgetting to mention Billy Goats CHEEEEEEEEEBURGERs!!!

I grew up in central Ohio and there weren't too many regional specialties. We have Amish restaurants here and there, and farm markets with produce (especially corn) I just can't find the likes of down here. I smuggle Red Gold Ketchup (produced in Ellwood Indiana) down here after trips to Ohio, the company wouldn't distribute it out of a few state radius. I have gotten cravings for White Castle and Skyline Cinncinati Chili lately; I will try to get some of each when I head up in November.

Gotta say the local food I miss the most from Ohio is my Mom's cooking.

Matt

SamClemmons said:
Steamed Maryland blue crabs.

NA
How could I forget Bluecrabs. I used to catch them all the time when I was a kid
steamed crabs, clams, beer hmmmmm

Bill

We have Amish restaurants

Forgot to mention Amish Cheese - esp Amish White Cheddar
Also, Krunchers brand mesquite BBQ Chips and FayGo!!

And like TXM said I have many new favorites here overseas. It saddens me that so many people get stationed over here and refuse to try the local food then lament not being in the US.

Really really sad.

SamClemmons said:

NA
ahhh man!
those were something that I'd never heard of here (in CA), but I had a neighbor a few years ago, a marine from maryland that was stationed here, and he had to have those things sent out to him all the time. so we'd sometimes go in halves on big-old coolers filled with them. he taught me how to shell (or de-shell?) them. I remember there was a certain part he told me to be very careful not to eat because you could get really sick from it? I think they had some sort of spice that coated the shells. something they were steamed in I guess.

Treamayne said:
Forgot to mention Amish Cheese - esp Amish White Cheddar Also, Krunchers brand mesquite BBQ Chips and FayGo!!
I like the cheese shoppes in Amish areas a LOT! The muenster is probably my favorite though.

I can't seem to find the Krunchers brand chips anywhere, but the Mesquite BBQ variety was certainly the best. Going to have to try to find them next time I am up north.

Down here there is a brand called Zepp's which is made in Louisiana. They are thick and crunchy like Kruncher's, but their BBQ seasoning doesn't compare. Their cajun dill variety is my favorite.

Matt

puffnstuff said:
SamClemmons said:

NA
ahhh man!
those were something that I'd never heard of here (in CA), but I had a neighbor a few years ago, a marine from maryland that was stationed here, and he had to have those things sent out to him all the time. so we'd sometimes go in halves on big-old coolers filled with them. he taught me how to shell (or de-shell?) them. I remember there was a certain part he told me to be very careful not to eat because you could get really sick from it? I think they had some sort of spice that coated the shells. something they were steamed in I guess.
I live 25 minutes from the Chesapeake Bay. Crabs are a weekly event here in the summer. I'm a chicken-necker from way back.
In the fall and winter we change to rockfish and oysters.

Don't eat the crabs lungs !
and they were covered in OLD BAY.

texasaggie said:
I would miss real Mexican food, I have not found any good Taquerias anywhere else than Texas, and I've heard from other Texans that it's not there.
I grew up in Oklahoma and spent a little time in Texas. I left for Tennessee in 1988 & haven't had real Mexican food since. In 1992 I moved to Ft Lauderdale and hoped that I would find a real Mexican food joint. No luck. Just found a few Cuban & South American immigrants taking a shoot and failing. However, their style of rice and beans sure beats the heck out of anything I had in OK or TX.

Maggs44 said:
Matt R said:
Even though I don't eat a lot of them, for fear my arteries will harden even faster than they are now... horseshoes.
Horseshoes?
Take two burgers (or your meat of choice), slap it on some toasted texas toast sized bread. Cover it with french fries (the crinkle cut are the best), then slop a bunch of homemade cheese sauce on top of it all. That's a horseshoe. Use one burger and call it a ponyshoe.

Matt R said:
Maggs44 said:
Matt R said:
Even though I don't eat a lot of them, for fear my arteries will harden even faster than they are now... horseshoes.
Horseshoes?
Take two burgers (or your meat of choice), slap it on some toasted texas toast sized bread. Cover it with french fries (the crinkle cut are the best), then slop a bunch of homemade cheese sauce on top of it all. That's a horseshoe. Use one burger and call it a ponyshoe.
Wow! Now thats a lunch!

Matt R said:
Maggs44 said:
Matt R said:
Horseshoes?
If you cover it in chili, can you call it a Texas horseshoe? That sounds awesome, I'm going to have to make that tonight. :)

A Cuban Mix Sandwich from Key West! I am sure they make em good in Miami also, but I love the little mom and pop places in Key West that serve up the sandwhiches. Yummy!

Emo

Emo, if I were you, I'd miss blackened grouper and conch chowder.

If I left this area I would miss Zwiegles white hots, Beef on Weck and Garbage Plates from Nick Tahoes. But, I think I can get the white hots on line now so I might be able to get by for a little while.

vewyphishy said:
Texas BBQ and Freebirds. :thumbs:
Most excellent choices Freebirds Super Monster on cayenne, the best.

And I almost forgot the Vietnamese food, for some reason, Houston has the highest concentration of Vietnamese of any city in the US, makes for some great restaurants and markets. :thumbs:

texasaggie said:
If you cover it in chili, can you call it a Texas horseshoe?
Hmm.. not sure.. but you could probably call it a sure trip to the commode. :)