• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What local food would you miss most?

Maggs44

If you had to move across country, what local food would you miss most if you found it unavailable in your new city?

I would miss going to a Christmas or New Years Eve party and not finding a Milwaukee tradition of raw beef sandwiches. Though it is something I only eat once or twice a year, it is a nice part of the holidays... something to look forward to.

As I understand it, raw beef isn't very popular outside of Wis., esp with e coili and all, but I have never gotten sick from it.

Bruce

NYC pizza and bagels......nothing like them anywhere else :thumbs:

Lobsters, oysters, etc. which are easy to get here in New England might not be so easy if I were to move to somewhere like say Norton, KS :D

Of course I'm not too sure Randyb1 and Gibu would let me in town anyway :D

I would miss real Mexican food, I have not found any good Taquerias anywhere else than Texas, and I've heard from other Texans that it's not there. I'd also miss Freebirds if any people know what that is, the best burrito place anywhere, they're super monster routinely weighs in at 2.5-3 lbs.

*Edit*
Oh yeah, and Gulf Oysters, down here it's bar food, instead of popcorn and pretzels, there's nothing like a beer and an oyster you pulled up yourself.

Like CC, how could I pass lobster up!
only one thing like new england lobster and thats new england lobster!
I would also miss the stuff I can get in manhattan, to go back to the raw beef thing...there is no carpaccio like that in little Italy!
And I would at least have to be near a coast for good sushi!

PaulMac

Even though I don't eat a lot of them, for fear my arteries will harden even faster than they are now... horseshoes.

Georgia college girls...........oops you mean food.........um...nothing then.

Jim

Since moving from CT I do miss GOOD Pizza, Deli food, Clams, Portugese Rolls, Hummel Brothers hotdogs....

Now I'm hungry :D

Bill

I miss Chicago style Polish, Jimmy's Redhots and Daffy Ducks. Couple jalepeno`s mmm.... Can't seem to find anything like it out east here.

wam79 said:
Since moving from CT I do miss GOOD Pizza, Deli food, Clams, Portugese Rolls, Hummel Brothers hotdogs....

Now I'm hungry :D

Bill
I get Lobster here but it's from a "lobster farm" on Hawaii.
They are kept fresh with cold seawater pumped from deep in the ocean.
I'm waiting for the volcano to erupt there. It will be the worlds biggest lobster boil :D

Bill

Moved from MN fifteen years ago, every time I go back, I gotta get some sliders from White Castle. The frozen ones just aren't the same.
Also miss: Lefsa, fresh walleye pike, a particular chinese restaurant in my home town(suburb of Mpls)
from Phoenix and Tucson, terrific mexican food
from Seattle, fresh salmon, Ivars clam chowder, fresh halibut

Wouldn't miss a thing from Vegas.

Gregor

coventrycat86 said:
etc. which are easy to get here in New England might not be so easy if I were to move to somewhere like say Norton, KS :D

Of course I'm not too sure Randyb1 and Gibu would let me in town anyway :D
Why sure we would, it just depends how full your car is of Lobsters, oysters, Lobsters, shrimp, Lobsters, crab leggs, Lobsters, cigars and Lobsters
:p :p :p

I've lived all over the country and each place had something that couldn't be matched. Beer Brats in Wisconsin are unlike those anywhere else. Hard to beat Duo's pizza in Chicago for deep dish unless it is thin crust coal oven fired from Lombardi's in New York. Something about the slices you get right out of the windows in Little Italy that are dripping with pepperoni grease that you can't find anywhere else too. Crabbing on the East coast, pulled pork in North Carolina, a real Philly Cheesesteak, Memphis Bar-b-que, german food in St. Louis or Lancaster PA, Hell, I even like Rocky Mountain Oysters. The list can go on and on.

I have moved across the world and what I miss is:

From the US: Dairy Queen - I really miss my signature Blizzard from back home (a friend owned a DQ and I always got "Chocolate Ice Cream Blizzard with Cookie Dough and M&Ms with a scoop of Malt." I also miss good Brats and Greek Food (esp. Gyros and Baklava)

From Korea - Good Kim Chi Stew and Chapjea (Stir Fry Glass noodles, veg and chicken or beef or pork)

From Thailand - Green Coconut Chicken Curry. Grren curry rocks and the sweet of the coconut milk cooked with the chicken and veggies are awesome.

And I would at least have to be near a coast for good sushi!

No such thing in the US - come visit me in Okinawa, Japan and I'll show you some spots you won't beleive (I have a guest room - but Airfare is up to you....)

I missed Jamacian Beef Patty's when I was working for HPD in Hartford, CT

If I moved from Florida, I'd miss pressed Cuban's & Grouper

-P-

Texas Pete
Cheerwine
Sweet Tea
Hushpuppies
Good BBQ
Green Beans with bacon and hot vinegar
Collards with hot vinegar
Southern Backened Catfish....well, just fish camps in general

AND Biscuits and Gravy!!!

Cheers,
Dixie

Jacks Creek, Tennessee hickory smoked Bar-B Q. You have not lived untill you have had it. :D

Agree with Sammy, nothing like steamed blue crabs. We steamed 3 bushels this summer at Sandbridge Beach.

I would also miss fresh Hanover tomatoes too! :D

I grew up on the coast in Massachusetts. Lobster is great, but I loved clams. Steamed, baked and fried. Super.

Here in Florida I found a passion for boulibaise from all over the world. Different versions on the same theme Cuban, Peru, Thai, Cajun, and the original French.