• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun advice

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Often times I turn to you folks for advice on non-cigar related topics. there always seem to be a few BOTL's with experience in the exact area I need help with.

So, I've been looking at 1911's recently, I feel like now is the time to purchase.

Straight up, I cannot afford a new Kimber, a new Colt, a new Springfield. etc. I cant drop 600 bucks on a pistol, not until summer at least. I've been looking at used pistols at a few shops around town.

I've heard GREAT things about Taurus's 1911's, basically that they come fully loaded for a super low price, but I have only seen 1 for sale. 460 uses, it's loaded, has a built in rail and whatnot (one of these http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=84039). I'm not too sure about wanting the rail, and not sure how good of a price that is. it seemed to be in good shape, no real noticeable wear, has 3 mags.

Springfield are a little hard to find, I'm discovering, and are still expensive.

Kimbers are everywhere, but still expensive, even used.

Rock Island Armory, I've heard good things about them. Mil-spec super stripped down, basic, true to the original 1911's, etc. I could afford a new one of these...

Any suggestions or advice on what to look for? brands to avoid? Personal experience? I just want to hear the good, the bad, anything helpful you can offer would be great! I plan on picking one up in the next few weeks, before christmas.

I would not buy a Taurus and Colt ain't what it used to be, unless you can get an old one and have it tuned by a competent pistol smith. The others you mention are all fine pistols.

Doc.

What's your reasoning behind Taurus? I'm just curious.

I've read nothing but praise for them with the exception of their thumb safety breaking. People just seemed to replace it with one from Wilson combat, or what have you.

I know Taurus's other semi autos are awful, I know a guy who had a PT92 blow up in his hands, but apparently the 1911's are great?

A friend of mine picked up the Taurus new a reasonable price. Does it match up against the Kimber, probably not. I guess it all comes down to what your going to use it for. From hand tools to hand guns decision should be made on price, quality, etc.... They sell hammers that cost more than 100 dollars, but I can buy one for 3 bucks. Does the hundred dollar hammer have more features or better construction (ie vibration reduction, bigger head), sure. At the end of the day your still driving nails with either one.

I guess thats not really all that helpful. The Taurus ain't a Hi-Point, and guns hold there value well, at least around my parts. So if you buy the Taurus used, keep it for a bit and decide you want something else, you should be able to sell it for a minimal loss.

Just my .02

Brandon

I've read nothing but praise for them with the exception of their thumb safety breaking. People just seemed to replace it with one from Wilson combat, or what have you.

I know Taurus's other semi autos are awful, I know a guy who had a PT92 blow up in his hands, but apparently the 1911's are great?
They are cheap pieces of Brazilian shit. I wouldn't give one house room. Your friend is not the only one who's had one of their firearms blow up in their hands.

Doc.

They are cheap pieces of Brazillian shit. I wouln't give one house room. Your friend is not the only one who's had one of their fireams blow up in their hands.

Doc.

Aren't Springfield Made in Brazil? And RIA in the Philippines, if I'm not mistaken?

If the Springfield's are made in Brazil it's news to me. The RIA's are indeed made in the Philippines but have a good reputation, but don't expect $1000 reliabilty and service from a $400 gun.

Doc.

I would recommend that you stay away from the Taurus. A friend of mine that has an FFl ordered a couple one time. I met him at the range to test them out. Neither of the Taurus 1911's would fire. We had to take them apart, do a little work to them, and soak them in oil. Then they were still picky about firing. I have never messed with an RIA, so I can't speak there.
B

If the Springfield's are made in Brazil it's news to me. The RIA's are indeed made in the Philippines but have a good reputation, but don't expect $1000 reliabilty and service from a $400 gun.

Doc.

Yup, they're made in Brazil.

I'll steer away from Taurus' I guess. I'm gonna be shopping around so hopefully I can find a good deal on something else.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'll be buying a different 1911 after a period of time to carry. I'm not planning on buying that gun now though. I'd prefer to buy a full sized 1911 to learn on and better hone my skills, then this summer I'll look into getting a 3 or 4" Carry pistol, and probably trade in my current one. These guns all hold their value well I've been told, so trade in shouldn't be too much of an issue

I had a Taurus Raging Bull in 454. Decent gun for the money.

You get what you pay for in most cases. Less expensive Tuarus will not perform like some of the higher. Not everyone can dump $800 on a Kimber Elcipse Target. Get what fits your pocket book. Just don't feel cheated in you have issues with Taurus in a couple years.

I'd save for Kimber. Used Kimber Targets for under $600 on GA and GB pop up on occasion.

Yeah. I can always wait til after the holiday and see how much moolah I get from the family.

I know its not what you asked about, but +1 for Glock 21 in 45. Cheaper, sturdier, simpler, higher capacity, and just as accurate.

but to each their own. my last 1911 went away years ago.

I know its not what you asked about, but +1 for Glock 21 in 45. Cheaper, sturdier, simpler, higher capacity, and just as accurate.

I've held the glocks, not too comfy. I feel like i have to hold my wrist at a funky angle to line up the sights right.

I just purchased a Colt Gov and love it! However, as you said, it cost a bit more than what you mentioned. Perhaps a used one?

I have a Taurus 1911 and never had a problem with it shooting had it for better then a year and it shoots great. I like to carry it when hunting as a sidearm rp

I've held the glocks, not too comfy. I feel like i have to hold my wrist at a funky angle to line up the sights right.
There's a reason the 1911 was in service longer than any firearm in US military history (Ma Deuce doesn't count) and is still the preferred handgun of choice of elite units.

Doc.

There's a reason the 1911 was in service longer than any firearm in US military history (Ma Deuce doesn't count) and is still the preferred handgun of choice of elite units.

Doc.

I have to agree with Doc on this one. Of all my firearms I would trust my life to my 1911's over any other sidearm. I am not a big fan of Glocks and I have owned almost every model out there. Magazine capacity should not be a concern unless you plan on the Zombies attacking, your a cop, or are a lousy shot.

I would suggest you look at both gun and pawn shops to see what is out there that you like. Set a budget and buy the best one that is the most comfortable to hold, shoot that you can afford. That being said I personally would not buy a Taurus or a Rock Island Armory 1911. When they start getting that cheap thy typically have problems.

I have fired a Rock Island Armory and regardless of the ammo used it would constantly jam. I have never fired a taurus 1911 do to the gunsmith I used to go to refusing to work on them as it was to much of a liability. I would recommend saving up and buying kimber, or if you look hard enough a used, Nighthawk custom, Wilson, Les Bear, Ed Brown or Rock River Arms. Most of these can be had used for $1200-$1500 depending on the model. Kimbers can be had for $600+. Sometimes if you contact the manufactures they have guns with blemishes on them or factory remanufactured guns for a lot less money. Or try gunbroker.com.

I have been extremely please with my Dan Wesson Bobtail 10mm.

main066.png

I've not found a better value in a 1911.