• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vacationed to Cuba?

Morning all.

I live very close to Windsor, Ontario, which is just on the Border and looks right at Detroit. There are several tours a week that leave Windsor for Cuba, and an insider tells me that ~75% of the patrons of these trips are Americans. Looking through those Govt sites makes it seem almost impossible for US Citizens to get through all that, but I do believe my source from with-in the travel agency.

Having been to Cuba a couple of times, and planning another trip in March, here's my take.

Where you go depends on what age group you like to hang out with and what your day & night preferences are. The Bride & I, being in the 40-something age group and looking for a relaxing holiday, stay away from the "touristy" places like Veradero & Holguin. We don't want the loud late night partys, or the perpetually blitzed drunks that seem to stay at the more popular well known beach resorts. We like to stay to the smaller, less known resorts.

Zeebra is 100% right with Tripadvisor.com. That is the main source that we used to choose our last 2 vacation spots in Cuba. Also as he said, someone is going to find something bad with every place, so read wisely and read as mush as you can on any one resort.

Just night before last, I was checking HERE to see what's coming up and if we left this Friday coming, we could stay at the resort we stayed at last March for $338 + taxes, all inclusive. November past, the Bride and I stayed at a 4 star in Santa Lucia for less than $1100 CDN total for both of us, all-inclusive, including flight.

Now, make one note, if you're looking for top notch cruise style food and the North American version of 5 star resorts, you be goin' to the wrong place Dood!!

Could not agree more with the food comment.......Cuba has far from normal standards when it comes to food..........I did however buy a 3 1/2 lobster in Varadero at one of the local eateries.....$12 unbelievable price and taste....... :rolleyes:

Could not agree more with the food comment.......Cuba has far from normal standards when it comes to food..........I did however buy a 3 1/2 lobster in Varadero at one of the local eateries.....$12 unbelievable price and taste....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, food is extremely plain. Not a whole lot in the way of spices. I do love their pork though. Chicken is OK, beef isn't the greatest. I'm not a big fan of seafood, but the Bride loves it.

As for lobster, we went to a house with 2 other couples for lobster (as much as we wanted) and 4 beer each for 10 CUC a person. I had a lobster that was about 2 lbs, wife had one a little smaller, and this one guy had 5 small ones (about 1 lb ea)!!!!

I've had some great pork in Cuba. The seafood isn't too bad either :whistling:

I've had some great pork in Cuba. The seafood isn't too bad either :whistling:

Pork and chicken are the two main meat products........Beaf is poor quality.......If you go with traditional Cuban style food you will be ok.........Rice & beans with pork or chicken....I have had good pizza there too.......

Pork and chicken are the two main meat products........Beaf is poor quality.......If you go with traditional Cuban style food you will be ok.........Rice & beans with pork or chicken....I have had good pizza there too.......[/quote]

I'm not so sure it's the quality of beef that is the problem, more so, they don't know how to cook it. If Castro had given out slow cookers instead of rice cookers (every Cuban knows how to make rice :rolleyes: ) there would be more tastier meals at the dinner table. Literally every kind of meat is either fried or deep fried. And everything is cooked over-well-done. Stacks of beef are for sale in the streets of Havana but it is unrefrigerated and displayed on wooden tables, sometimes out in the hot sun. Hence the need to overcook everything. As it is, if you are used to McDonald's or chain family restaurant, I can't see any real reason to complain, unless you're generally a complainer.

The conditions in Varadero are better because they are generally European owned and of course, they have refrigeration :D. But like has been said here, the food is still bland.

Pork and chicken are the two main meat products........Beaf is poor quality.......If you go with traditional Cuban style food you will be ok.........Rice & beans with pork or chicken....I have had good pizza there too.......

I'm not so sure it's the quality of beef that is the problem, more so, they don't know how to cook it. If Castro had given out slow cookers instead of rice cookers (every Cuban knows how to make rice :rolleyes: ) there would be more tastier meals at the dinner table. Literally every kind of meat is either fried or deep fried. And everything is cooked over-well-done. Stacks of beef are for sale in the streets of Havana but it is unrefrigerated and displayed on wooden tables, sometimes out in the hot sun. Hence the need to overcook everything. As it is, if you are used to McDonald's or chain family restaurant, I can't see any real reason to complain, unless you're generally a complainer.

The conditions in Varadero are better because they are generally European owned and of course, they have refrigeration :D. But like has been said here, the food is still bland.
[/quote]

I have to say I have never seen what you have discribed........Referring to meat openly displayed in the open on wooden tables.....Meat is quite rare to find in Cuba.....Only the top restaraunts and hotels have it and mainly for the tourist industry......At the finest hotel in Havana the meat was poor quality........ In fact it is so tuff it has to be ground and shredded and added to rice dishes...... The sliced beef they did have was almost unchewable....Things however are improving..........It is true that Cubans love to fry.......What businesses are European owned?........The eateries are all cuban........except the hotels.......

Bob

I have to say I have never seen what you have discribed........Referring to meat openly displayed in the open on wooden tables.....Meat is quite rare to find in Cuba.....Only the top restaraunts and hotels have it and mainly for the tourist industry......At the finest hotel in Havana the meat was poor quality........ In fact it is so tuff it has to be ground and shredded and added to rice dishes...... The sliced beef they did have was almost unchewable....Things however are improving..........It is true that Cubans love to fry.......What businesses are European owned?........The eateries are all cuban........except the hotels.......

Bob
[/quote]

I have other pics, but this was accessible from my laptop. This is more an open front butcher, but I have a shot somewhere of a wood table filled with beef. I've happened upon it a couple of times in the streets in Havana. It was near the Rex shopping mart. Sometimes it's pork only other times I've seen beef. As for meat (beef) I've had it several times in smaller restaurants. El Monguito across from Habana Libre, Los Nardos, Bar Monseratte also has some IIRC. Yes, somewhat touristy, though Monguito isn't really. It isn't always available, true, nor would I order it, just as you say, it's always tough and never prepared properly. Sometimes it's pork but they say it's beef. LOL. European owned- I meant the hotels and resorts, referring to the all-inclusives in Varadero.

P1030165.sized.jpg

I was in Cayo Coco a few weeks ago and the place I stayed had a great American style steakhouse. The beef steak was really tasty, now I wish I had taken a picture.

I was in Cayo Coco a few weeks ago and the place I stayed had a great American style steakhouse. The beef steak was really tasty, now I wish I had taken a picture.

Im glad to hear it was good.......Improvements are in the making.........The tourist industry is still evolving there...........5/7 years ago things were not so good

Bob

Bob

I have other pics, but this was accessible from my laptop. This is more an open front butcher, but I have a shot somewhere of a wood table filled with beef. I've happened upon it a couple of times in the streets in Havana. It was near the Rex shopping mart. Sometimes it's pork only other times I've seen beef. As for meat (beef) I've had it several times in smaller restaurants. El Monguito across from Habana Libre, Los Nardos, Bar Monseratte also has some IIRC. Yes, somewhat touristy, though Monguito isn't really. It isn't always available, true, nor would I order it, just as you say, it's always tough and never prepared properly. Sometimes it's pork but they say it's beef. LOL. European owned- I meant the hotels and resorts, referring to the all-inclusives in Varadero.

P1030165.sized.jpg

[/quote]

Thanks for the pic Nub........I have to get some of mine out :D

Im glad to hear it was good.......Improvements are in the making.........The tourist industry is still evolving there...........5/7 years ago things were not so good

Bob

Damn you guy, now you have me wanting Cuban food. One of the only places I'll eat pork is a local Cuban restaurant, perhaps Sunday.

:cool:

IMG_512.sized.jpg

Found the other pic I had! Mostly chicken and turkey on the left side and beef shank and big slab o beef on the other. No way I'd buy from this guy though :p

Bob

Damn you guy, now you have me wanting Cuban food. One of the only places I'll eat pork is a local Cuban restaurant, perhaps Sunday.

Dont forget the cuban cigar after dinner :D

Bob

IMG_512.sized.jpg

Found the other pic I had! Mostly chicken and turkey on the left side and beef shank and big slab o beef on the other. No way I'd buy from this guy though :p

The guy at the table is looking at you as if you were a side of beaf.......You sure he didn't want to cut you up?.........Chicken, Pork, Human, it looks all the same cut up on a table :D

Bob

The guy at the table is looking at you as if you were a side of beaf.......You sure he didn't want to cut you up?.........Chicken, Pork, Human, it looks all the same cut up on a table :D

Bob
Ugh,

Time to go grab some Tums.

Wilkey

Bob

Dont forget the cuban cigar after dinner :D

Bob

... and one for the owner of the restaurant :D

Couldn't wait for Sunday ...... tonight, Lechon Asado, black bean & rice, platano's and tostones. Oh, and a great cigar :thumbs: