• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vacationed to Cuba?

scthornton

Has anyone vacationed to Cuba? If so, what did you think? Somewhere you could take your wife? How does it compare to other spots?

Thanks.

I know several of our Canadien members have been there and enjoyed it. But I wouldn't plan on going anytime soon yourself.

I found this interesting quote on Wikipedia when trying to find the link to the actual law, "The current regulation does not limit travel of US Citizens to Cuba per se, but it makes it illegal for US Citizens to have transactions (spend money or receive gifts) in Cuba under most circumstances without a US government Office of Foreign Assets Control issued license"

What I think Gonz is trying to say is that if you buy your plane ticket to Cuba, he'll pay for everthing. He just loves to see people happy. :)

I know several of our Canadien members have been there and enjoyed it.

Definitely. A great place

I'm taking the family down the week of Feb 24th-Mar 3. In addition to my wife and kid, we'll have my sister and brother-in-law with their kid coming as well as 2 friends of ours. It's gonna be a blast!

Stay at the Melia Cohiba........or Hotel Comodoro.........I plee the 5th :D

There are alot of good resorts down there. First time we went to the Sandals Royal Hicacos. No kids allowed at that resort so we're picking a different one this time. Probably going to stay at the Breezes Bella Costa this time around as it's kid friendly.

Basically the reviews on the Tripadvisor site are a pretty good indicator that i've used in the past. You'll have good and bad with any resort, but I don't think you can go wrong if you stay at something that's 4 star or better.

If you are looking for the beach areas Varadero Beach is the place......Its about 90 minutes from Havana.......Melia Varadero is also a great resort.......

Bob

So, Americans can vacation there? When you read on the government sites, they seem to make you think it's dangerous and you need some type of documention/permit/reason to go. Can we vacation there without issues? How are the resort prices? Good food?

Also, are they more stringent on bringing stuff back? I'm guessing you can't pull the labels off and say they're Domincan! Or can you? :)

Thanks for the replies...

So, Americans can vacation there? When you read on the government sites, they seem to make you think it's dangerous and you need some type of documention/permit/reason to go. Can we vacation there without issues? How are the resort prices? Good food?

Also, are they more stringent on bringing stuff back? I'm guessing you can't pull the labels off and say they're Domincan! Or can you? :)

Thanks for the replies...

Not for tourist reasons.

"The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions related to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations will face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

Yeah, that's what I thought I was reading...thanks...

Not for tourist reasons.

"The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions related to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations will face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

[/quote]

Has anyone vacationed to Cuba? If so, what did you think? Somewhere you could take your wife? How does it compare to other spots?

Thanks.

pm sent.

Please start using the search function and read up on the Embargo at the Treasury Department's website so you can stop asking all these questions here.

Just out of curiosity I tried looking into hotels, and all the popular travel websites like Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz do not list anything in Cuba.

Just out of curiosity I tried looking into hotels, and all the popular travel websites like Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz do not list anything in Cuba.

Yup. Because they are based out of the US they are not allowed to sell trips to Cuba. I don't think I can even book a trip to Cuba with expedia.ca. Try a Canadian travel agency website.