• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pepins - My Father Lancero

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
I haven't done a "real" review in quite some time, mostly because when I do, I like to do it right.....notes, proper beverage, no distractions, right environment...etc. It's been awhile since I've had these conditions available and tonight wasn't the right way to do it yet again. However, I couldn't smoke another one of these without at least saying something.

So pardon the format and lack of detail....here are a few simple impressions of mine on the My Father Lancero by "THE" Don Pepin Garcia and Jaime Garcia.

This has been a cigar I've highly anticipated as a real Pepin admirer. I've seen a few blends come and go in the past year and have been waiting for the next big cigar from Pepin...this is it.

Sporting some serious prelight aroma it's a lancero that boldly bears the name "My Father". A cigar with that name on the wrapper, referring to the man himself...Jose Pepin Garcia...has no choice but to either excel or fail, there is no in between. No worries...the story ends well.

To my liking the Pepins have toned the spice a tad in this one, more to the liking of the Blue label series rather than that of the Black label, however it has a subtle layer of spice that stays consistent throughout the burn...there's no jumping around in this aspect.

The flavors are a plenty. Easily noticeable wood and earth tones pour from the creamy thick smoke that falls out of your mouth like the smoke from water on dry ice. I found myself holding my palm under my chin at times to catch the wisping wavy spill from hitting my shirt. The profile I considered very consistent. I didn't find it jumping all over the place, the only other profound taste I pulled from it was the sweet finish as I did the “quarter turn pull” from my lips.

A simple cigar....maybe...but not all great cigars have to be complex and "figured" out. That's what I love about it. I know exactly what it tastes like and it doesn't make me search the entire time. I just sit back and love it.

I smoked my first "Holy Lancero" last night, with high expectations. It wasn't bad, I'm sure I'll enjoy the next 4 I have, however, it's got a hell of a long way to go if it all plans to stand in the ring with the My Father Lancero by the Pepins. I've never been so satisfied that I have a box of a cigar in the humidor.

Once again...just a few "impressions" as I was once again thoroughly "impressed".

Well done Jaime, well done.

Smoked my first "My Father" Lancero tonight.I have to say it was a very tasty stick. :thumbs:

Nice! When I come across these...It seems like I will definitely have to pick up a few.

Appreciate the positive reinforcement! :thumbs:

One of my top fav. Cigars as of right now. comes in a nice box as well I must say :thumbs:

David

I bought a box of these. When they first came in, they were fairly rife with ammonia, but I did get some nice flavors. I let them sit a few weeks, and smoked another, and it totally morphed into something differant. a few more weeks and we're at yesterday when I smoked another one, and again, a totally differant cigar. Rather perplexing. I really need to smoke one tonight or tomorrow to see just what is going on. I don't think it's me because all my regular rotation smokes taste as I expect them to.

I smoked one on Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed it. A little pricey though IMO.

Excellent review Wyatt! These sound like a real winner. Thanks for sharing.

These are worth buying a box of. When I nasal exhale, I swear I taste Tabasco sauce...

Thanks for the great review, Wyatt! I've been waiting for someone who's opinion I hold in high regard to review this cigar. I think I'll buy a few for my birthday!

i agree with carmike, sounds like my kinda smoke. check out my Pepin JJ Maduro review, sounds similar maybe? I'd love to try this one, are they generally carried everywhere Pepin is represented well?

i agree with carmike, sounds like my kinda smoke. check out my Pepin JJ Maduro review, sounds similar maybe? I'd love to try this one, are they generally carried everywhere Pepin is represented well?

They're pretty easy to find now. 3 of my locals carry them, so I'd be willing to bet you could find them, too. If you can't, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the great review, this may get me to tear into my box and light one up. MMMMMM tobasco spice!!!

Wow after reading your thoughts, I cant wait to get my hands on some. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the review, Wyatt. Knowing how much you love the Pepin cigars, this is very informative. I may have to search a few of these out so I can see if they meet my tastes, as well.

I may have to try one of the other vitolas, though. I'm a little "Lanceroed" out.

Well done Wyatt! Great review from a man with a seasoned palate. I'll have to hunt a few of em' down :thumbs:

I am on the hunt for these. 1st place I ordered from emailed me the next day saying they were out of stock. They sound like another lancero I must try.

I was generously gifted 5 of these and smoked my first one after a month of rest. My thoughts matched Wyatt's almost verbatim. Spicy and rich but not complex (like you said, this isn't a bad thing). I'm really curious what they will be like after some more aging. I'm hoping to enjoy another on Father's Day to see what they've turned into. The first one was a great smoke and I have high hopes for their future. Very nice review.

Thanks for the review, Wyatt. Knowing how much you love the Pepin cigars, this is very informative. I may have to search a few of these out so I can see if they meet my tastes, as well.

I may have to try one of the other vitolas, though. I'm a little "Lanceroed" out.

Try the robusto/belicoso (I'm not sure what they're calling it). I prefer it to the lancero. It seems there is a little less spice, but the flavors are more pronounced. Fantastic cigar. I've smoked three to date, and I'm ready to start hustlin' for box money. No, not that kind of box. A box of 25. :)

Wyatt, have you tried this size?