• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I now have a cardiologist

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
It seems I have A-fib not due to a heart valve problem. It requires me to take a blood thinner, a fairly strong one. I can't take the risk of cutting myself, among other things. So I should stop shaving with a double edge razor. I'm presently looking for an electric razor. I don't know anything about these things. I could use some suggestions from those of you who use such apparatuses. TIA.

Doc

Can't help you out with a recommendation, Doc, as I use a Gillette Mach 3. But all the best to you and stay well. Give 'em hell.

Sorry to hear.
If you don't care to use an electric razor, shaving powders like Black Magic work really well.

I used to use it on my scalp when I went through a Telly Savalas phase. :eek:

Yet another hill to climb which I'm sure you will handle. I now use a Norelco rotary a several of times a week in between blade shaves. The rotary replaced a Braun with a self cleaning tank, the Braun kinda sucked and the Phillips Norelco works better in my estimation. No liquid tank refills and seems to contour to the distinguished facial features better.

Doc I used an older Braun which worked well for me. Lots of new technology out there for dry or wet shave. The alternative is a well groomed beard.

Doc I used an older Braun which worked well for me. Lots of new technology out there for dry or wet shave. The alternative is a well groomed beard.
Already got one. I'm an Admiral Zumwalt sailor.;) But summer is coming. I don't think I can stand a beard in the heat.

Doc

Doc, what kind of shave are you looking for?

If you want a clean close shave from an electric, then any of the Braun clean and renew series shavers will work great. I used a 3 series until i grew my beard.
If you want to use it in the shower, make sure you read to see that your model is wet/dry. The last one bought had the cooling bar in it, and I really liked it.
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-CoolTec-Electric-Shaver-Razor/dp/B00CFZJN2Y

If you want something that will keep you trimmed up during the summer, but has "beard utility" i like the One Blade. Fairly close everyday shave, and it keeps my chin pelt in line too.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Nore...5303391&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=one+blade&psc=1

I had a Panasonic wet/dry one for a decade that worked great. It died after I retired and I had no need to replace it but my nephew has one that he uses on the Ike.

Doc, what kind of shave are you looking for?

If you want a clean close shave from an electric, then any of the Braun clean and renew series shavers will work great. I used a 3 series until i grew my beard.
If you want to use it in the shower, make sure you read to see that your model is wet/dry. The last one bought had the cooling bar in it, and I really liked it.
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-CoolTec-Electric-Shaver-Razor/dp/B00CFZJN2Y

If you want something that will keep you trimmed up during the summer, but has "beard utility" i like the One Blade. Fairly close everyday shave, and it keeps my chin pelt in line too.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Nore...5303391&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=one+blade&psc=1
Something that would pass inspection.

Doc

About 18 years ago I had to go on blood thinners for a genetic clotting disorder. I did some research and bought a Braun. I used the same 18 year old shaver this morning. I replaced the blades about 10 years ago. I've got no complaints. It provides a great shave with very little effort. Originally it took about a month to figure out which way to shave (or train my beard). I took a quick look at the Braun website and the shaver I haven't isn't available anymore. The styles have changed but the basic head is the same. I will only add that I don't have a thick beard or one that grows very fast. I can forget to shave and no one notices except for me when I rub my hand across my face.

You didn't ask for this next part so feel free to quit reading. When I was first told to get on blood thinners I had a similar reaction to your opening post. As it turned out, for me, it was an over-reaction. The thinners basically brought my blood to a normal coagulation level. The first time I cut my self I didn't bleed out. I don't know what your ailment is or what medication you have to take, but, based on how much you enjoy shaving, it could be worth it to see the effects of the thinners before changing your lifestyle and investing in an electric shaver. I was Warfarin for about 16 years and just recently switched to Xarelto.

About 18 years ago I had to go on blood thinners for a genetic clotting disorder. I did some research and bought a Braun. I used the same 18 year old shaver this morning. I replaced the blades about 10 years ago. I've got no complaints. It provides a great shave with very little effort. Originally it took about a month to figure out which way to shave (or train my beard). I took a quick look at the Braun website and the shaver I haven't isn't available anymore. The styles have changed but the basic head is the same. I will only add that I don't have a thick beard or one that grows very fast. I can forget to shave and no one notices except for me when I rub my hand across my face.

You didn't ask for this next part so feel free to quit reading. When I was first told to get on blood thinners I had a similar reaction to your opening post. As it turned out, for me, it was an over-reaction. The thinners basically brought my blood to a normal coagulation level. The first time I cut my self I didn't bleed out. I don't know what your ailment is or what medication you have to take, but, based on how much you enjoy shaving, it could be worth it to see the effects of the thinners before changing your lifestyle and investing in an electric shaver. I was Warfarin for about 16 years and just recently switched to Xarelto.

I'm beginning to realize that I might be over reacting. The handout I got from the MD however does specifically mention shaving. The doctor mentioned internal bleeding is more of a problem. An external bleed is going to stop eventually. How long that is, I have no idea. I'm not going to cut myself to find out. I know I'm weird, but I do love to wet shave and I have a lot invested in shaving paraphernalia, so using an electric is an anathema. The other thing you need to realize is I've never been sick before. Hell, I've never had the flue. This is all very difficult to get used too.

Doc

I'm beginning to realize that I might be over reacting. The handout I got from the MD however does specifically mention shaving. The doctor mentioned internal bleeding is more of a problem. An external bleed is going to stop eventually. How long that is, I have no idea. I'm not going to cut myself to find out. I know I'm weird, but I do love to wet shave and I have a lot invested in shaving paraphernalia, so using an electric is an anathema. The other thing you need to realize is I've never been sick before. Hell, I've never had the flue. This is all very difficult to get used too.

Doc
I'm not suggesting that you cut yourself to see what happens...although there may be one or two CPer's willing to volunteer to cut you...purely for the science of course. The biggest change I noticed is a tendency to bruise more easily.

I too am genetically superior to the average human when it comes to getting sick. I do have my own share of issues though. What you've described doesn't sound like an illness that can go away (like the flu). It sounds like more of a condition and a new way to live life. If I am remembering correctly, you've been through some pretty difficult stuff in life - so how does this situation really stack up in comparison?

It doesn't. I worked with young men with traumatic wounds. They heal relatively quickly. Old people like me are a lot different. Like a famous lady once said, "Old age ain't for sissies." I don't know how good your A&P is, but suffice to say my predilection to a CVA has increased a whole lot with this diagnosis.
And as far as the one or two or more that would volunteer to cut me, screw 'em. Through the efforts of the few here at CP, they've got a nice safe place to play.
Doc

I'm not suggesting that you cut yourself to see what happens...although there may be one or two CPer's willing to volunteer to cut you...purely for the science of course. The biggest change I noticed is a tendency to bruise more easily.

I too am genetically superior to the average human when it comes to getting sick. I do have my own share of issues though. What you've described doesn't sound like an illness that can go away (like the flu). It sounds like more of a condition and a new way to live life. If I am remembering correctly, you've been through some pretty difficult stuff in life - so how does this situation really stack up in comparison?

It seems I have A-fib not due to a heart valve problem. It requires me to take a blood thinner, a fairly strong one. I can't take the risk of cutting myself, among other things. So I should stop shaving with a double edge razor. I'm presently looking for an electric razor. I don't know anything about these things. I could use some suggestions from those of you who use such apparatuses. TIA.

Doc
I cannot comment on the razor but if you have any questions about the disorder or medications I will try my best to help. I’ve seen many live way into their 40s. Hope this helps!

Doc

Doc, are you a candidate for a catheter ablation? I don't know your situation, but my ex wife had an ablation several years ago and she was symptom-free immediately.

Doc, are you a candidate for a catheter ablation? I don't know your situation, but my ex wife had an ablation several years ago and she was symptom-free immediately.
That's the rub. There were no symptoms. They found the condition by accident during an ultrasound looking for something else. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Doc

I cannot comment on the razor but if you have any questions about the disorder or medications I will try my best to help. I’ve seen many live way into their 40s. Hope this helps!

Doc is a little past 40.