• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fountain Pens 2023 - Anyone?

thank you all for supporting this rabbit hole!

Yeah that is a good pen as well. Like with the Lamy Safari, you will need either their proprietary in cartridges or a converter to fill the pen with bottled ink (In this case they would be Platinum carts and/or a Platinum converter)

Platinum is one of the big Japanese brands (along with Pilot and Sailor), so you should be good to go.

If you want to really get some detailed info, check out the pens and extra information provided at one of the big retailers, Goulet Pens HERE.
So, starting out, I don't see using a cartridge as an issue (unless it is?) I know it limits me on ink, but before I go down that hole, I guess I need to know if I like using one and can learn to use it.

Honestly, right now ease of use and aesthetics are the key features, and I think I would prefer a metal body, but who knows.
I am going to try to see if our Staples has any for sale tomorrow.

Also, what nib size would be best for starting out?

Last edited:
When I read this thread and thought about getting back to fountain pens, I bought these disposable pens from Amazon to see if I could rekindle my love of ink. I figured a cigar's worth of pens was a good starting point.

https://www.amazon.com/EEOYU-Disposable-Smooth-Writing-Journaling-Calligraphy/dp/B0BV9Q2SLP/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.cAH4L0gdMlCUgG4Xc165mNksSUjEh3jlzlzmyHWVK11lKIZpJx71JlQEKT2S31u7.d53HyzapZUguX3R6I1QRcloMwn8Kw8n1F3xBIBZEbRk&dib_tag=se&keywords=eeoyu+12+disposable&qid=1718328107&sr=8-1

These pens are surprisingly good for the price. They don't have the heft of my TWSBI pens, but they write well and I still reach for them occasionally.

I am pretty sure I will find something at Staples tomorrow

I bought this one as a starter pen to see if I liked it. It came with the refillable cartridge, it's a metal body, and I think it feels really nice when holding it. It also writes pretty well.

So, I've dipped my toe back into the world of fountain pens. I've spent a lot of time reading up on the subject and decided to buy some disposable pens to see if wet ink works with my current writing needs. I've rediscovered joy in writing that I lost so long ago! I've also lost my penmanship. If my college professors hated my handwriting back then, well...

View attachment 68094

It's an inexpensive brand I found on Amazon: EEOYU. Only after I took this picture and read the kanji on the nib did I realize it's called Snow White. They write pretty well, and have F nibs. I've even spent some time with some old writing drills.

Now that I've been writing with these for a few days, I'm looking to wade in the pool a little further. I'm eyeing the TWSBI Eco and a bottle of Iroshizuku shin-kai ink. It's not as bold as @MaytagMan but it's a start.

Thoughts?

I bought a variety pack of the EEOYU pens when you posted this and then another pack of black ones. I've been using them for a year now and have really enjoyed them! Nice find on these! They have replaced my standard Pilot G2 ink pens!

I am pretty sure I will find something at Staples tomorrow
This is not a true statement 😕
Found this and the Varsity at Hobby Lobby

Also, I think I am developing feelings for a few Parkers!

I bought this one as a starter pen to see if I liked it. It came with the refillable cartridge, it's a metal body, and I think it feels really nice when holding it. It also writes pretty well.

I have been back and forth with buying that as well. But will give the Manuscript and the varsity a try first

So, starting out, I don't see using a cartridge as an issue (unless it is?) I know it limits me on ink, but before I go down that hole, I guess I need to know if I like using one and can learn to use it.

Honestly, right now ease of use and aesthetics are the key features, and I think I would prefer a metal body, but who knows.
I am going to try to see if our Staples has any for sale tomorrow.

Also, what nib size would be best for starting out?

There are no problem with cartridges at all. There is a "standard international" cartridge that a lot of pens take, and some pens only take proprietary cartridges - so if you buy a Lamy Safari make sure you buy Lamy cartridges, etc. for those that don't take internationals.

I have both metal and resin pens and like them both - sometimes it just comes down to what I haven't used in a while. and if you really get in dep, you will find that one advantage of resin pens is that you can eyedropper them - add o-rings and some silicone to the threads and you fill the whole body of the pen with ink instead of only having ink in the cartridge or converter.

As you try different materials, sizes, and weights, you will find a sweet spot of pens that you like. Have fun with it!

Reactions: MX
Actually wrote smoother/wetter than I thought...crap notebook paper...

Think a Fine will work better for me17184572379148636422066751581690.jpg

I wish the entry level Parkers came with a fine nib...
ordered an Amazon Basic with Fine, to see if I like that line any better, once I settle on a nib that works with my writing, I will spend time getting to know a few pens

ok, so now I have had a few days to play with my 3 pens.
The Varsity in M is to much, to "wet" and fat for how I write.
The Preppy in EF is to scratchy, but I like the line size, but it skips a bit with how I write.
The Amazon pen in F I really like, but the line size is still a bit large, it is very close to the M of the Varsity.

Research and reviews pointed out that the Amazon pen does tend to write larger than a Euro/Asian Fine nib.
So now, I am looking for a decent Fine nib pen around the $30-50 price point that is mostly metal in construction.

Thanks
T

ok, so now I have had a few days to play with my 3 pens.
The Varsity in M is to much, to "wet" and fat for how I write.
The Preppy in EF is to scratchy, but I like the line size, but it skips a bit with how I write.
The Amazon pen in F I really like, but the line size is still a bit large, it is very close to the M of the Varsity.

Research and reviews pointed out that the Amazon pen does tend to write larger than a Euro/Asian Fine nib.
So now, I am looking for a decent Fine nib pen around the $30-50 price point that is mostly metal in construction.

Thanks
T

Yeah the Japanese nibs do tend to be finer. If you are willing to try something that is not metal in your price range, the TWSBI Eco in F might work for you - I have never had one that is scratchy or does not have good ink flow.

IF you look at Goulet Pens, he has a Nib Nook where he has writing samples of the different pens and nib sizes so you can have a basis of comparison.

Picked up a couple at the SF Pen Show this past weekend... only two pens and a few inks this year - didn't get too crazy.

The orange is a Leonardo Momento Zero Grande with a big #8 Nib.

The other is from a small penmaker - HelloTello in Ohio - he is an artist and does some cool stuff - the caps are inlaid with little pieces of Venetian glass.

I'm involved with a group that is going to start a poject that involves writing a lot by hand, so I figured why not be prepared... lol!

z-Leo MZG.jpgzz-HelloTello.jpgzzz-HelloTello Inlay.jpg

Impressa Fine Nib

Think this is the one I will get next
I got the Impressa, not sure it is a "Fine" nib as it writes pretty fat, much like the Amazon pen.
I will get back on the hunt for another Fine and maybe an extra fine soon!

Picked up a couple at the SF Pen Show this past weekend... only two pens and a few inks this year - didn't get too crazy.

The orange is a Leonardo Momento Zero Grande with a big #8 Nib.

The other is from a small penmaker - HelloTello in Ohio - he is an artist and does some cool stuff - the caps are inlaid with little pieces of Venetian glass.

I'm involved with a group that is going to start a poject that involves writing a lot by hand, so I figured why not be prepared... lol!

View attachment 85460View attachment 85461View attachment 85462
Those are some nice-looking pens!!!!

I got the Impressa, not sure it is a "Fine" nib as it writes pretty fat, much like the Amazon pen.
I will get back on the hunt for another Fine and maybe an extra fine soon!

Well IIRC the Monteverde nibs are now Jowo, and the Euro nibs tend to run wider than Asian nibs.

Maybe try a TWSBI Eco in a F or XF to get some skinny lines. Later, you can get a pen and have the nib ground down to a needle point...