• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's the deal with Cubans

Forget about the mystique and simply enjoy the cigar smoking experience. Don't worry about Cuban cigars, fancy lighters, cutters and humidors. All you need is a good cigar at a good value. One which you enjoy and doesn't break your wallet. Later, if you decide you dig the cigar culture, you can accessorize with all the gizmos and gadgets many of us cigar enthusiasts fawn over.

Man you take all the fun out of it, because as you all well know it is about the toys! Two more posts and I reach 6K!

Nah, I'm not at all trying to take the fun out of it. I'm knee deep into it myself. Neck high, even. But it took me years of enjoying this hobby to acquire all the large and (very) expensive objects which are merely accessories to the cigars themselves. I contrast this with some of the other hobbies I have started up in my life and subsequently gave up on for lack of time or continued interest. I wish I hadn't have spent $$$ on some of those endeavors before I realized I wouldn't pursue them as lifelong hobbies the way cigar smoking has been for me. I just try to caution new guys to the hobby to slow down a bit on their accessory purchases until time has revealed whether they are in this for the long run or it is merely a passing fad for them. It's fairly common to start off hot with enthusiasm for a new interest only to have that enthusiasm wane down later on.

Congratulations on your soon to be reached post milestone. Now that is a strong indicator of a commitment to the cigar hobby and its community. Splurge all you want on them accessories! :thumbs:

'Cuban Seed' Advertisement from non Cuban brand still annoys me somewhat. Like has already been covered: the seed does not make the smoke.

I think I ranted about that somewhere else though, so all good.

I will echo also the advice to slow down and approach this hobby at a comfortable pace. Build your palate, and then start experimenting with rarer smokes.

the query of cubans was just research, I should have done a search...

the thing about the seeds was a joke (to me it was, especially if you saw my yard, thanks to the Chocolate Lab)...

I am taking it slow, I made a mini winidor from a cuisinart 6 bottle which is already one third full thanks to siriusstoogie, and I won't be buying bigger until next spring. I appreciate all the great replies, and good information on this site. I just had one of the Rocky Patels that siriusstoogie sent me and I rely enjoyed it, except for getting rained on at the end of it...

Thanks to everyone and thanks Joe.

Oh, and to the person that said not to get into the gadgets and swag too much too soon. I'm getting a 10 cigar, crushproof, travel humidor today to take fishing. :D

What's the deal with Ovaltine?

:sign: :sign: :sign:
Although confusing at times, this is a serious matter sinnyc within the chocolate milk drink Community :whistling:

Ovaltine-2006.jpg

"What's the deal with Ovaltine?" If I may borrow a similar view as my esteemed colleague Wilkey.

I would assume you are referring to the differences between Ovaltine and other standard syrup based chocolate milk mixtures. Different formulating, processing, mixing, marketing, packaging, tasting? Interpreted literally, your question would speak to all the ways Ovaltine could be different from any other drinks of a chocolate based origin. But I'm thinking that this is perhaps just another way of asking whether Ovaltine taste differently from non-Ovaltine products. In other words, is there such a thing as the "Ovaltine twang?" Do a search on taste tests carried out by Moki and you'll find the best empirical answer out there. Moki loves his chocolate and did exhaustive studies on this topic...within his results you will find he compared tastings involving 1%, 2%, Whole milk, and Skim as well.

My hypothesis based on experience and readings of blind and non-blind taste tests suggests the following to me: At the heart of things, Ovaltine tastes of malted chocolate. Above the base chocolate are characteristics such as distinctive flavor notes, cocoa nut, pure malt, etc. The overall "flavor space" spanned by all the non-Ovaltine drinks (which include 'exactos', 100% chocolate products, as well as chocolate drinks containing dark cocoa from several different national origins) is much broader than that spanned by other malted milk beverages, which by definition, are all exactos. Some of the Chocolate flavor space overlaps some of the NC (non-chocolate) flavor space, thus resulting in a subset of C (chocolate) and NC drinks that taste quite similar (e.g., the famous Worlds Fair Blind Chocolate Drinks Tasting of 1932 in Chicago) that the Nesquick Rabbit "Quicky" referred to and I'm assuming that he finds similar to particular C drinks. So for example, let's say for sake of argument, that the a Chocolate Magnum 46 of Hershey's is one such CD (Chocolate Drink) in this intersecting flavor space. By my hypothesis, a similar malted milk drink would be essentially indistinguishable from a ChocoMag46 even for a trained and sensitive palate. Other chocolate mix drinks, Hershey's Vintage 1992 and an El Rey del Choco Drink Club, for example, might be located in non-overlapping regions of flavor space and thus would be easily distinguishable (but not necessarily identifiable). Let me be clear that this hypothesis does not say there is such a thing as the "Chocolate malt twang" or an isolatable characteristic defined as "Ovaltine-esque." It just says that Ovaltine taste like chocolate and that certain cocoa drinks taste like others and unlike yet others.

Ovomaltine2.jpg

In a recent blind test in which I participated, the majority of drinkers correctly identified the ChocoMag46 as a Chocolate Magnum 46 and then by default, as a malted chocolate drink. I find this to be a distinctive chocolate flavor and I picked it with high confidence. However, that does not mean that if you gave me Hershey's syrup mixed with whole milk, and that I called it a ChocoMag46 that I would be wrong, per se. I would be wrong about the identity, but accurate about the flavor.

I hope this helps bfreebern...as for "What's the deal with Cuban cigars", that's a whole 'nother story.

Oh my gosh. I think I just materialized in a parallel universe!

Thanks for the hearty chuckle, Gary. :D

Wilkey

:sign: :sign: :sign:
Although confusing at times, this is a serious matter sinnyc within the chocolate milk drink Community :whistling:

Ovaltine-2006.jpg

"What's the deal with Ovaltine?" If I may borrow a similar view as my esteemed colleague Wilkey.

I would assume you are referring to the differences between Ovaltine and other standard syrup based chocolate milk mixtures. Different formulating, processing, mixing, marketing, packaging, tasting? Interpreted literally, your question would speak to all the ways Ovaltine could be different from any other drinks of a chocolate based origin. But I'm thinking that this is perhaps just another way of asking whether Ovaltine taste differently from non-Ovaltine products. In other words, is there such a thing as the "Ovaltine twang?" Do a search on taste tests carried out by Moki and you'll find the best empirical answer out there. Moki loves his chocolate and did exhaustive studies on this topic...within his results you will find he compared tastings involving 1%, 2%, Whole milk, and Skim as well.

My hypothesis based on experience and readings of blind and non-blind taste tests suggests the following to me: At the heart of things, Ovaltine tastes of malted chocolate. Above the base chocolate are characteristics such as distinctive flavor notes, cocoa nut, pure malt, etc. The overall "flavor space" spanned by all the non-Ovaltine drinks (which include 'exactos', 100% chocolate products, as well as chocolate drinks containing dark cocoa from several different national origins) is much broader than that spanned by other malted milk beverages, which by definition, are all exactos. Some of the Chocolate flavor space overlaps some of the NC (non-chocolate) flavor space, thus resulting in a subset of C (chocolate) and NC drinks that taste quite similar (e.g., the famous Worlds Fair Blind Chocolate Drinks Tasting of 1932 in Chicago) that the Nesquick Rabbit "Quicky" referred to and I'm assuming that he finds similar to particular C drinks. So for example, let's say for sake of argument, that the a Chocolate Magnum 46 of Hershey's is one such CD (Chocolate Drink) in this intersecting flavor space. By my hypothesis, a similar malted milk drink would be essentially indistinguishable from a ChocoMag46 even for a trained and sensitive palate. Other chocolate mix drinks, Hershey's Vintage 1992 and an El Rey del Choco Drink Club, for example, might be located in non-overlapping regions of flavor space and thus would be easily distinguishable (but not necessarily identifiable). Let me be clear that this hypothesis does not say there is such a thing as the "Chocolate malt twang" or an isolatable characteristic defined as "Ovaltine-esque." It just says that Ovaltine taste like chocolate and that certain cocoa drinks taste like others and unlike yet others.

Ovomaltine2.jpg

In a recent blind test in which I participated, the majority of drinkers correctly identified the ChocoMag46 as a Chocolate Magnum 46 and then by default, as a malted chocolate drink. I find this to be a distinctive chocolate flavor and I picked it with high confidence. However, that does not mean that if you gave me Hershey's syrup mixed with whole milk, and that I called it a ChocoMag46 that I would be wrong, per se. I would be wrong about the identity, but accurate about the flavor.

I hope this helps bfreebern...as for "What's the deal with Cuban cigars", that's a whole 'nother story.

Now that's funny stuff! :laugh: Gotta be the best damned Wilkey impersonation I've seen yet.

the query of cubans was just research, I should have done a search...

the thing about the seeds was a joke (to me it was, especially if you saw my yard, thanks to the Chocolate Lab)...

I am taking it slow, I made a mini winidor from a cuisinart 6 bottle which is already one third full thanks to siriusstoogie, and I won't be buying bigger until next spring. I appreciate all the great replies, and good information on this site. I just had one of the Rocky Patels that siriusstoogie sent me and I rely enjoyed it, except for getting rained on at the end of it...

Thanks to everyone and thanks Joe.

Oh, and to the person that said not to get into the gadgets and swag too much too soon. I'm getting a 10 cigar, crushproof, travel humidor today to take fishing. :D
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: