• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trouble regulating my tuperdor

So as predicted by the wise members of CP my small humi indeed has run out of room so I set up a tuperdor. I took the cedar divider out of my desktop and placed it in the tuperdor along with a digital hygrometer that I had calibrated and was using in the dektop. Seems that even with out any humidification device in the tuperdor my RH is still running around 74%! So unless my hygrometer is out of whack I worry about suffering issues with my smokes. My temp seems to hold steady at 19 degrees Celsius.

Any suggestions at lowering the RH to a more desirable level and keeping it there, aside from buying another desktop humi? Or should I just leave it be and quit worrying so much? :cool:

If your hygro is calibrated and the RH is true, just open the tupperdor and let it air out for a little while and check it until it drops down to where you want it.

If your hygro is calibrated and the RH is true, just open the tupperdor and let it air out for a little while and check it until it drops down to where you want it.

yeah, I already do that and when I check back an hour or so later the RH is back up around 73%. :blush:

My guess........You either have something in the box that is high RH or the ambient area RH is high, or both. Is there a lower RH area you can remove it to?

So as predicted by the wise members of CP my small humi indeed has run out of room so I set up a tuperdor. I took the cedar divider out of my desktop and placed it in the tuperdor along with a digital hygrometer that I had calibrated and was using in the dektop. Seems that even with out any humidification device in the tuperdor my RH is still running around 74%! So unless my hygrometer is out of whack I worry about suffering issues with my smokes. My temp seems to hold steady at 19 degrees Celsius.

Any suggestions at lowering the RH to a more desirable level and keeping it there, aside from buying another desktop humi? Or should I just leave it be and quit worrying so much? :cool:

Hmm. I'd do two things. First, crack the lid of the tupperdor and accept that you'll be refilling the humidification source more frequently.

Second, stick a whole lot more wood in there, old boxes &c. Wood acts as a buffer for humidity, counteracting swings in either direction; it won't 100% make up for high humidity in your house of course, but it will help by drawing moisture out of the air. I'd be quite worried about mold at that humidity as well (if correct, of course; consider recalibrating the hygrometer?).

Using boxes also has the beneficial side effect of reducing storage damage, crushed feet, split wrappers etc.

yeah, I already do that and when I check back an hour or so later the RH is back up around 73%. :blush:

Jonesy's right! How long are you leaving it open? You may need to leave it uncovered for a day or so, put the lid back on and then check it. Continue this until you get the rH to the desired level. I don't know how large your tupperdor is, but I have a small one where I keep about 50 or so cigars. I've had them in there for 6 or 7 months without any humidification device and the rH holds steady at 68%. If your container has an airtight seal, and the sticks going in are properly humidified, chances are you won't need any humidification device.

edit to ask: Do you have new sticks in there from an online vendor? Many times these come in overhumidified and could be pushing your rH higher.

Jonesy's right! How long are you leaving it open? You may need to leave it uncovered for a day or so, put the lid back on and then check it. Continue this until you get the rH to the desired level. I don't know how large your tupperdor is, but I have a small one where I keep about 50 or so cigars. I've had them in there for 6 or 7 months without any humidification device and the rH holds steady at 68%. If your container has an airtight seal, and the sticks going in are properly humidified, chances are you won't need any humidification device.

edit to ask: Do you have new sticks in there from an online vendor? Many times these come in overhumidified and could be pushing your rH higher.

This is right on. The sticks are clearly at 73% or so now, so they need to dry out a good 7-10%. They can't do that in sealed tupperware. Furthermore, when you leave it open for a short time, the humid air is replaced with fresh air, thus dropping the hygro reading, but as soon as you seal it back up the cigars expel humidity bringing the hygro back up. They basically need to be dry-boxed to the desired RH and then put back in the tupperdor.

I was having a similar problem with my tupperdore. I solved it by using a half-pound of beads from Heartfelt. Within two days the RH was exactly where I wanted it and there it has stayed with a minimum of attention.

Glad I read this post. I was wondering why my Humi with new cigars from cigarbid was shooting to a higher level than it was previously at, I figured it was over humidified sticks, but it's nice to have confirmation of that fact!

Thanks,

Hope that this thread helps you solve your problem too Unclebillybonz!

thanks for all the feedback folks.

this is what I am doing. I am leaving the tuperdor open for a spell. I also went down to my local B&M and picked up a cigar box (lucky me my B&M doesn't give these away) so I have added that to my tuperdor with the sticks in the topless cedar lined box.

I haven't used them, but the Boveda packs are advertised as "2-way humidity control". They either expel or draw moister to maintain the desired humidity. They come in 65%, 69%, and 70%.

I haven't used them, but the Boveda packs are advertised as "2-way humidity control". They either expel or draw moister to maintain the desired humidity. They come in 65%, 69%, and 70%.

I use these exclusively in my Lock & Lock Food containers. They hold dead on for many months.
I put the whole box in the container, and the boveda packs. As care free as I've found.

How much do those packs run for? Sounds like something I could use. I concluded yesterday, that the cigars I got from Cigarbid were definately over humidified and I have the Humi open right now, just to dry out, I was running at like 84% the temp was ok, around 68 F, but wow the moisture was insane!

You can go to the boveda website and set up an account. They will send new ones evey so often so you never run out. IMO heartfelt is the easiest way to go.