• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

suggested aging time?

I just don't get why when someone is called out, 'tude is given. ???

I would add that the "suggested aging time" for a newb to lash out is never.

Bumping to continue the original discussion rather than posting a new thread...

I know a lot of guys are swearing by the '12 & '13 releases lately, but my palette is still screaming to me that most of these are too young.  I have a box of BRCs dated FEB 10 that are just now starting to hit their sweet spot.  A Vegas Robaina Unicos I smoked recently with a box date of JUL 12 certainly showed the potential complexity I know the blend can deliver, but I still tasted an overwhelming amount of salt and driftwood flavors.  I'm still thinking 3-4 years is about right, even with the relatively high quality of recent releases.

Am I in the minority on this?

I don't know about 3 and 4 years of aging time, but I do know that I am really using my shift key and checking my punctuation before I hit post :)

Barry overall for me the 12 & 13's have been pretty good. Yes time will definitely improve them but they're smokable and good. The three that come to mind right now (but there were probably more) are the H. Upmann Connie A's, QdO French RE and the Bolivar Libertador that need down time probably because of their ring gauge at least two of them any way. Shit the 13 Punch EL that I smoked yesterday was great. I guess it's marca to marca to see which ones are smoking good right know.

I do tend to agree with you though that some of the 11 & 12's that I've smoked felt like they could use some more time. 

eta: spelling before Ken corrects me  -  ;)

12 and 13 are good and hard to keep hands off as mentioned before. I know a guy who has blown through a few boxes with no complaints. That same guy thought a box of PSD4 with an April 13 date were some of the best and another box of PSD4 13 was not smoking well at all. 2 years of dreweling is safe but difficult to do. My, Errrr that guy's humidor has some old stuff that qualifies for special occasions just due to age. It is hard to smoke the old ones.

I don't smoke that much anymore, but I do think 5-6 years is a good amount of time for ageing. 

I'm glad PU's attitude changed, but I really don't know why so many folks are upset about grammar on an internet forum. Think about the modes of communication presented here from emoticons to bizarre private acronyms, like BOTL. We engage in so many different modes of discourse that putting grammar up on a pedestal really doesn't make much sense. 

Are we going to start pointing out that users need to properly spell out numbers below the number 10? 

The bottom line with CC is this....they can't be predicted as far as present taste and future taste across the board in one statement. And to take that even further, how many of us have tasted cigars from the same box that smoke totally different?

It's always been like that. It just seems that the last 2 years have been markedly better than the previous 10 or 12 years regarding smoking ROTT.

I like them VERY Fresh. Always have. Aged is a complete crapshoot for most smokers, and from some fairly extensive research that I've done, it is especially unpredictable with the more current years. I prefer Cubans aged at 69-70 percent. Those that have aged, long term, at 65-ish seem to lose a lot of their distinguishing characteristics for the blend. On average, they wind up all tasting very similar to my palate. But, those that age gracefully, even regardless of 65 or 70, are pretty magical.