• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So far so good!

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I was the lucky recipient of John's outstanding generosity a couple weeks ago and received two pipes, accesories, and several different types of tobacco. I've since tried my hand at the pipe and found it very much to my liking! I will admit upon opening the package, I was a bit put off by the very fragrant aroma of the tobacco that wafted out and was a bit reluctant to put fire to it, however come to find out the smoke doesn't actually taste like it smells (thank goodness! :D ). Well, not completely anyway.

The first time smoking, the taste actually took a bit of getting used to. Being that I'm fairly used to smoking strong cigars, I found the pipe smoke to be quite mild. I kept looking for that "umph" that I get from my cigars and found it only when there was a good, long draw of smoke from the pipe. There was also a strange flavor that I imagined to be just the newness of the pipe. I found that newness flavor to be a bit stronger in the wood pipe than I did the cob. So, I've smoked the cob probably 95% of the time so far. :) It's not as pretty as the wood, but it smokes damn good!

I must also give a huge thanks to Chris (lovetheleaf). I enquired with him about the HDM pipe tobacco he had posted for trade, and he hits me with a package containing a few types of tobacco including the HDM, which is as strong as I've heard (and I like it ;) ).

A huge thank you to John and Chris for their generosity to a newbie pipe smoker. I guess I'll be heading over to Ebay now to try and win a box of old estate pipes (following Alan's lead)! Gonna build me a pipe cabinet before long! :D

I was the lucky recipient of John's outstanding generosity a couple weeks ago and received two pipes, accesories, and several different types of tobacco. I've since tried my hand at the pipe and found it very much to my liking! I will admit upon opening the package, I was a bit put off by the very fragrant aroma of the tobacco that wafted out and was a bit reluctant to put fire to it, however come to find out the smoke doesn't actually taste like it smells (thank goodness! :D ). Well, not completely anyway.

The first time smoking, the taste actually took a bit of getting used to. Being that I'm fairly used to smoking strong cigars, I found the pipe smoke to be quite mild. I kept looking for that "umph" that I get from my cigars and found it only when there was a good, long draw of smoke from the pipe. There was also a strange flavor that I imagined to be just the newness of the pipe. I found that newness flavor to be a bit stronger in the wood pipe than I did the cob. So, I've smoked the cob probably 95% of the time so far. :) It's not as pretty as the wood, but it smokes damn good!

I must also give a huge thanks to Chris (lovetheleaf). I enquired with him about the HDM pipe tobacco he had posted for trade, and he hits me with a package containing a few types of tobacco including the HDM, which is as strong as I've heard (and I like it ;) ).

A huge thank you to John and Chris for their generosity to a newbie pipe smoker. I guess I'll be heading over to Ebay now to try and win a box of old estate pipes (following Alan's lead)! Gonna build me a pipe cabinet before long! :D

I'm currently on the prowl for an antique one now ;)

Not a problem brotha, it was a pleasure.

Just trying to PIF as Tim (MX) did to me when I first started in the world of pipes.

Hope you enjoy!

Chris

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Greg. You will eventually find the strength you're looking for in some blends. Believe me, there are some head spinners out there.

Glad to hear you like the pipe Greg. I've been debating for quite some time when/if I would try it for the first time. You might have given me that little extra nudge. ;)

Hmmmmmmmm...

I was just thinking that I have purchased some of the best (mostly ISOM) fivers and samplers I've gotten on CP from Greg. The man clearly has impeccable taste. It makes me wonder what it'll be like a few years from now. As he builds up a massive cellar (c'mon, you know it's gonna happen :laugh: ) , he'll start having some of those Kingantz "need to make room" sales for pipe tobacco, too.

Oh...yesssssss.....

- Tim

Hmmmmmmmm...

I was just thinking that I have purchased some of the best (mostly ISOM) fivers and samplers I've gotten on CP from Greg. The man clearly has impeccable taste. It makes me wonder what it'll be like a few years from now. As he builds up a massive cellar (c'mon, you know it's gonna happen :laugh: ) , he'll start having some of those Kingantz "need to make room" sales for pipe tobacco, too.

Oh...yesssssss.....

- Tim

Absolutely it will happen. I just got done selling samplers just for the same reason.
Now I am going back and forth between each obsession. My wife just sits there and shakes her head. :)

Where you really get the full effect of the flavor is learning how to sip. Once you get it going, try taking tiny draws - just enough to keep it burning. Soon you'll notice the flavor start to really come out. Also, make sure the tobacco is good and dry before you pack it.

It also takes a bit of practice learning how to pack the different cuts and types to get the best performance and flavor. Also, which bowl you prefer for which tobacco.

Is there such a thing as too dry? I'm to the point now where I like it almost crispy before I pack a bowl. It seems to work for me so I guess I'll stick with it.

Is there such a thing as too dry? I'm to the point now where I like it almost crispy before I pack a bowl. It seems to work for me so I guess I'll stick with it.
Almost crispy is good. Takes a long time, for some new to the pipe, to figure that out.

Doc.