• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rec'd the OK to go to Cuba

Gonz

Ultra Runner
From my wife that is. We were talking last night at dinner about the current state of affairs, the possibility of eased travel restrictions sometime in the next four years, and what it takes currently to be able to legally travel to Cuba. Also, key to the discussion, was our thoughts on the changes that will occur on the island once travel is opened up and there's a flood of money coming in. If I were to ever be able to travel to Cuba, I think it would be such a better experience being able to see the island as it is today, not after the end of the embargo and the island becomes Americanized.

My wife specifically said that if I could find us a trip to go there for medical/humanitarian reasons, she'd be more than happy to spend time in a clinic giving vaccinations or performing pelvic exams if it gave us the opportunity to experience the island.

So now begins my mission of finding us a trip down there, researching what's available and the long/tall stack of paperwork required to do so.

What I've found so far:

Link to the State Department's webpage describing the restrictions and the General and Specific licenses available and who qualifies.

From my wife that is. We were talking last night at dinner about the current state of affairs, the possibility of eased travel restrictions sometime in the next four years, and what it takes currently to be able to legally travel to Cuba. Also, key to the discussion, was our thoughts on the changes that will occur on the island once travel is opened up and there's a flood of money coming in. If I were to ever be able to travel to Cuba, I think it would be such a better experience being able to see the island as it is today, not after the end of the embargo and the island becomes Americanized.

My wife specifically said that if I could find us a trip to go there for medical/humanitarian reasons, she'd be more than happy to spend time in a clinic giving vaccinations or performing pelvic exams if it gave us the opportunity to experience the island.

So now begins my mission of finding us a trip down there, researching what's available and the long/tall stack of paperwork required to do so.

What I've found so far:

Link to the State Department's webpage describing the restrictions and the General and Specific licenses available and who qualifies.

Agreed that the island will never be the same once travel restrictions are lifted. I'm not so sure that's going to happen any time soon, though.

Good luck on your attempt. Would be a great experience. Let me know if you need someone to come along and carry your luggage.

With a Canadian wife I have had the pleasure of knowing many people who have gone there, both cigar lovers and not, both resort only stays and travels into Havana. Each one says it is wonderful. I wish you both the best, I know you would have the experience of a lifetime.

Cuba would be a great destination before any major political chances occur. Being a former international studies and relations nutcase, I'd jump at the opportunity to visit any country where the culture and society hasn't drastically been affected by Americanization...i.e. Vietnam, North Korea, etc. Hell, I'd be willing to go anywhere. :)

I did read an interesting account of a Cuban trip in Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld, where a BBC crew was sent down in the 90s. Fabulous read.

Good luck! I hope it works out. That will be a great trip.

Can you grab me a box of Cohibas while you are there?
You know this real cool ones with the glass top... :sign:

Would you be able to go with her?...if she's the one providing the volunteer care. Maybe you guys would have to set up a non profit with you as an administrator or something....and enlist some of her hospital friends to go along too.

Holding her medical bag won't cut it Andy! :laugh: You wouldn't look that good in a nurse's dress.

I love the opening two sentences on that website.

"Cuba is a totalitarian police state which relies on repressive methods to maintain control. These methods, including intense physical and electronic surveillance of Cubans, are also extended to foreign travelers."

Its starting to sound familiar. :whistling:

I agree in the fact its better to go now if you can pull if off. Money has a way of changing things fast. And not for the better either. :(

Good luck Andy, I'd love to be able to travel there prior to whatever any changes to (or end of) the embargo bring.

- Tim

I can think of 1000 places I'd rather go than Cuba but hey, that's just me.

If your heart's set on it Gonz then hopefully you'll enjoy yourself if you manage to make it to that place.

I can think of 1000 places I'd rather go than Cuba but hey, that's just me.

If your heart's set on it Gonz then hopefully you'll enjoy yourself if you manage to make it to that place.

The funny thing is I've always felt that way too, and when people in the past have inquired about travelling there either legally or otherwise I'm usually one of the first to tell them that there's many nicer places to vacation with less hassle. But now, with the potential for change down there, I feel almost a bit nostalgic and like Joho said it would be really interesting to me to be able to see it before the American influence starts to change things.

And here's another thing, just to clarify another myth. "Fully-hosted" travel to Cuba is not allowed, i.e. you cannot pay entirely for your trip to a third party or third country and think that it is legal, it's not, as seen Here.

Having traveled the world, of course there is other places to see. But having seen what happened in Russia after the fall of Communism, it would have been nice to see if before then. Because the inflation there is still way out of hand and look at how long ago that was. But having seen Honduras, which is a 3rd world country to me, Cuba would probably be pretty close in what goes on. Plenty of ghettos and what not. Would you be any safer in Cuba than in Honduras, not at all. San Pedro Sula is an example of places that is dangerous for Americans in Honduras. Walking around smoking a cigar is bad news. As that means you have money and thus you invite trouble. Which may or may not even happen.

Even though I can't speak Spanish, I would still love to see Cuba. Not because of the illegal cigars. Be interesting just sitting down and watching how the society is before and after the restrictions is lifted. In all honesty, I do not see travel restrictions lifted any time soon. Especially for Americans. :laugh:

Yea I don't know if I would like to go there. I went to Guatemala and it was a real poor area and I didn't really feel to comfortable there.

So because Guatemala was a third world country you were scared in, all third world countries resemble Guatemala?

So because Guatemala was a third world country you were scared in, all third world countries resemble Guatemala?
Jersey City scares me. :laugh: On March 6th though, I'm going to have to cast Bergen County fear aside and go to Hoboken to see the Tossers at Maxwell's. :D

Jersey City scares me. :laugh: On March 6th though, I'm going to have to cast Bergen County fear aside and go to Hoboken to see the Tossers at Maxwell's. :D
Hoboken is as safe as it gets...."The Village" of NJ. It's nothing like Jersey City.

Bill, you've been to Asbury Park.... doesn't get much worse than that! :laugh: