• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question on buying Cuban cigars

I joined this forum for education and to build relationships with fellow cigar smokers.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but posting a question that flies in the face of a specific request our host has made and then getting surly about the responses you get won't do a whole lot for you in the relationship building department.

In my experience, a "You know what? I made a mistake," goes a whole lot farther. And I've had to do that more than I'd care to admit in my life. :D

Tigger,

You are a man of understated eloquence. :thumbs:

Wilkey

You got to stop stealing my lines Wilkey :laugh:

BTW, Zeebra is right. I'm measuring my time in CP by your pics :laugh:

Brian

Since I am pretty new to cigars and have never smoked a real Cuban, I would like to know how safe and "legal" it is to buy Cubans over the internet from a distributor in say the UK? There seems to be so many web sites, some of which are listed here on our site that sell Cubans. I'm not too interested in having the Federal Agents showing up at my door with a battering ram kicking my door in for a few good smokes! :0 Dan
this should answer all your questions....
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/r...uban_cigars.xml

Since I am pretty new to cigars and have never smoked a real Cuban, I would like to know how safe and "legal" it is to buy Cubans over the internet from a distributor in say the UK? There seems to be so many web sites, some of which are listed here on our site that sell Cubans. I'm not too interested in having the Federal Agents showing up at my door with a battering ram kicking my door in for a few good smokes! :0 Dan

Don't waste your hard earnings cash on Cubans, they are highly overrated and pretty much suck ass :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Don't waste your hard earnings cash on Cubans, they are highly overrated and pretty much suck ass :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

LIAR!!! :sign:

LIAR!!! :sign:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: LOL

Well, the short answer would be yes and yes. Chances are you would be asked not to bring them across the border if declared.

For Canadian reference, I recall recently on a cruise throughout the islands that since the itinerary ended in Miami, no one, regardless of nationality was allowed to purchase items of Cuban manufacture or origin. And I think someone asked about having Cuban cigars with them because they were Canadian, and it was explained that they are illegal in the US regardless.

Bummer :(

Thanks for the answers. Now I guess if I have to venture down south with a few sticks they will have to ride naked :whistling:

Now I guess if I have to venture down south with a few sticks they will have to ride naked...

Here, in the land of due process, I believe that they might still be seized - I've heard stuff about customs not having to bear the burden of proof when it comes to bringing stuff into the country. Might depend on where the friendly DHS employee's grouchometer was pegged for that particular day.

If, on the other hand, you brought Dominican cigars, with Dominican bands on them, I don't think they would give you a hard time. ;)

Hmm, I guess I won't bother buying any when I head down to Cuba sometime in Feb.

Who the $#@#@$ am I kidding? :sign:

Now I guess if I have to venture down south with a few sticks they will have to ride naked...

Here, in the land of due process, I believe that they might still be seized - I've heard stuff about customs not having to bear the burden of proof when it comes to bringing stuff into the country. Might depend on where the friendly DHS employee's grouchometer was pegged for that particular day.

If, on the other hand, you brought Dominican cigars, with Dominican bands on them, I don't think they would give you a hard time. ;)

I have been told at the local customs border crossing, by a Homeland Security Officer, that all they need to confiscate is suspicion. Does not matter what the cigars look like or what the receipts say. However, I am unsure of other consequences. For example, what if they really are Dominicans? You still probably get the incomparable pleasure of the rubber glove treatment while they are checking out the confiscated goods.

LOL, YMMV.

Cheers,
antaean

I have been told at the local customs border crossing, by a Homeland Security Officer, that all they need to confiscate is suspicion. Does not matter what the cigars look like or what the receipts say. However, I am unsure of other consequences. For example, what if they really are Dominicans? You still probably get the incomparable pleasure of the rubber glove treatment while they are checking out the confiscated goods.

LOL, YMMV.

Cheers,
antaean

Yes, all they need is suspicion of Cubans to confiscate. They don't have to 'prove' anything. Then again, your chance of being searched is very low and even if they do, often, they don't do anything. It's still a risk, but it's not huge. Just grab some blank bands and write DR on them and tell them they are Dominican, and a lot cheaper in Mexico.

LOL, YMMV.

Cheers,
antaean

Yes, all they need is suspicion of Cubans to confiscate. They don't have to 'prove' anything. Then again, your chance of being searched is very low and even if they do, often, they don't do anything. It's still a risk, but it's not huge. Just grab some blank bands and write DR on them and tell them they are Dominican, and a lot cheaper in Mexico.

Lol, I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to if I (a Canadian living in Canada) took a trip to the States :p