• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about tupperdors and a humidor

Magnaflux777

Hello Folks,
My wife asked what I would want for xmas today and i told her maybe a new humidor and showed her the Vevor 82l electric humidor. She said I could order it tonight if i wanted but i wanted your valuable opinions first. I have a nice modest Cuban collection of maybe about 1500 cigars. The humidor only holds about 500 but thats ok. I have all of my cigars in tupperdors with 62% humi packs and the tupperdors have been holding the humidity perfect as I use multiple humi packs per container. My question is this... What would it benefit me to get this humidor? It is both heating and cooling as well as a water tank with a fan for humidity. Other than looks would it be better for long term aging for any reason as opposed to the tupperdors? We keep the temp in our place at 70 so my cigars in tupperdors stay about 70 all the time. I absolutely want to get it however if there is no large benefit then i could just use that same amount of money buy some Johnny O cigars instead. Thanks so much folks for any assistance and enjoy your cigars in good health.
Magnaflux

Modest.....1500 sticks.....only at CP..... 🤣

Kidding aside, before I got my nice cabinet, I had three coolers up and running. Almost nothing beats a cooler for stable storage, short of a cooled / active humidification cabinet. The one you mention looks great, but only 500 sticks. And I have yet to see one actually hold the amount claimed. Other point is no cabinet that I'm aware of heats the sticks.....because cold isn't a problem, though the RH goes down with temperature....which is why it's called relative humidity. Mold risk goes up exponentially over 70%, I believe. Having said that, I do know guys that run storage at 72% and swear by it. Most of the folks here like 65% and dry box the really special sticks in a small desktop humi, though no kidding I have been known to put a few sticks right in my desk drawer for a few days before smoking.

If you've got a place in the house where the temps are reasonably stable, I'd really consider a good sized cooler and some bags of beads. That's what I ran and I had zero, nada, no problems with it. If adding to your collection is something you're looking for, save your $$ and look for a big cabinet at some point.

As they say, one man's opinion.

Edited to add - here's one option for 'big' cigar cabinets. No, they aren't cheap, but FWIW I've had my Staebell for 17 years or so. Bob's not taking orders anymore, sadly. I've had to replace fans, replace the thermal and RH controller, but it's been a real pleasure to have my collection in a basically maintenance free cabinet. Fill the water tanks every six weeks or so (depending on ambient RH), check the filter wicks to ensure they aren't grungy, and you're good. Might look for the thread where using a small bit of colloidal silver in the water is discussed. Been doing that for some time now, and mold is a thing of the past. FWIW I use salt tested Govee hygrometers. Nice to check on things from my phone without opening the cabinet. IMHO can't beat 'em for under $20.00

Last edited:

Kidding aside, before I got my nice cabinet, I had three coolers up and running. Almost nothing beats a cooler for stable storage, short of a cooled / active humidification cabinet. The one you mention looks great, but only 500 sticks. And I have yet to see one actually hold the amount claimed. Other point is no cabinet that I'm aware of heats the sticks.....because cold isn't a problem, though the RH goes down with temperature....which is why it's called relative humidity. Mold risk goes up exponentially over 70%, I believe. Having said that, I do know guys that run storage at 72% and swear by it. Most of the folks here like 65% and dry box the really special sticks in a small desktop humi, though no kidding I have been known to put a few sticks right in my desk drawer for a few days before smoking.

If you've got a place in the house where the temps are reasonably stable, I'd really consider a good sized cooler and some bags of beads. That's what I ran and I had zero, nada, no problems with it. If adding to your collection is something you're looking for, save your $$ and look for a big cabinet at some point.

Thank you so very much for your reply. Here is a pic of my current storage situation. I have some on the top shelf as well as the bottom and they are usually in the dark and as you may can see most temps are about 64-65 and humidity is from 62%- 65%. Some of the inkbird hygrometers show 59% but i think their battery is on the way out as most tupperdors have 62% integra boost humi packs between each layer of cigars. I know its a bit overkill however doing it this way the packs should last much longer. I hope. Most of these cigars are Johnny-O purchases as many of the cigars he gets are among some of the best I have ever had. Thanks again BlindedByScience and have a great one my friend.
Magnaflux

Attachments

• cigar storage.jpg
    cigar storage.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 16
I don't see a problem with what you have, other than I don't know how well those bins seal up. A cooler seals up tight, makes controlling humidity easy. Though, cosmetically, they aren't something to show off......I get that.

Here's the little Govee hygros. I salt test all my hygros when I change the batteries, which last 2+ years in these units. Nice thing is if the battery gets low....the app on your phone will tell you when you check the RH. Just bought two more, got the two pack for less than $20.00. Nice...

Thank you for the suggestion on what i have currently. So far all these seem to be holding humidity really well. The inkbird hygrometers are pretty decent units and function well. I will say it seems easier to keep bundles together like this and between WalMart and Target the needed tupperdor can be found to hold different amounts of cigars. The Vevor is a really nice unit and I almost went ahead and bought it but then i thought about what good it would do over what i have that seems to be working very well. I will it some thought but will most likely end up using that money to buy more cigars. I got into collecting a few Cuban and non-Cuban cigars about 2 years ago and never thought I would end up like this. I hope im not the only one when passing by their collection sometimes stops and looks at them and maybe even smells a vitola or 2? Just like I did 15 minutes before. Ah Christ i guess its hopeless at this point im highly addicted and need cigar rehab even thought I feel it a moot point.
Magnaflux

I don't see a problem with what you have, other than I don't know how well those bins seal up. A cooler seals up tight, makes controlling humidity easy. Though, cosmetically, they aren't something to show off......I get that.

Here's the little Govee hygros. I salt test all my hygros when I change the batteries, which last 2+ years in these units. Nice thing is if the battery gets low....the app on your phone will tell you when you check the RH. Just bought two more, got the two pack for less than $20.00. Nice...

Think i will take your advice and just wait and get a really nice large cabinet as ive seen some that are amazing. Take care my friend.
Magnaflux

Thank you so very much for your reply. Here is a pic of my current storage situation. I have some on the top shelf as well as the bottom and they are usually in the dark and as you may can see most temps are about 64-65 and humidity is from 62%- 65%. Some of the inkbird hygrometers show 59% but i think their battery is on the way out as most tupperdors have 62% integra boost humi packs between each layer of cigars. I know its a bit overkill however doing it this way the packs should last much longer. I hope. Most of these cigars are Johnny-O purchases as many of the cigars he gets are among some of the best I have ever had. Thanks again BlindedByScience and have a great one my friend.
Magnaflux

In my mind, this is a great storage setup. Many individual tupperdors, with nice labels. Very stable storage with very low maintenance. And you only disturb the tupperdors that you're pulling sticks out of.

Edited to add - here's one option for 'big' cigar cabinets. No, they aren't cheap, but FWIW I've had my Staebell for 17 years or so. Bob's not taking orders anymore, sadly. I've had to replace fans, replace the thermal and RH controller, but it's been a real pleasure to have my collection in a basically maintenance free cabinet. Fill the water tanks every six weeks or so (depending on ambient RH), check the filter wicks to ensure they aren't grungy, and you're good. Might look for the thread where using a small bit of colloidal silver in the water is discussed. Been doing that for some time now, and mold is a thing of the past. FWIW I use salt tested Govee hygrometers. Nice to check on things from my phone without opening the cabinet. IMHO can't beat 'em for under $20.00

Extremely informative Tom!

I don't know anything, but I am going to repeat something that a friend told me about storing and aging cuban cigars. I was told they stop getting better with age once you take them out of their cabs or boxes. They thrive in a close environment with only their own. It makes sense in my head as well. With that being said, you should switch to BBS's recommendation of using coolers or a large cabinet so you can store them in their own boxes.

@Magnaflux777 I absolutely love your set-up! It's better than mine so thanks for making me want to start over!:) I like it because you know everything at a glance.

I think we all went through humidors at some point, and as Tom @BlindedByScience said they seldom hold what they advertise. As you pointed out, consistent temp and RH are the key and as long as the area of your home is suitable, you have the cat's meow!

I will offer this for the simple reason that it "might" be more space efficient. However, you will lose your incredible categorization system. On the other hand, one of my simple pleasures in life is pulling up a chair and sitting in front of these and debating what to smoke/gift.

I bought these 150 quart marine coolers at Walmart for about $60 each, they are probably double that now. I found that these marine coolers had no smell. I bought 10 pounds of plain silica beads and programmed them myself using a Tupperware bin and a Cigar Oasis. These beads have worked well for 15 years.

I built cedar shelves inside the coolers and a shelving unit that mounts securely to the wall, I then installed cables to hold the lids level while I peruse. I can quickly see nearly every box I have, some boxes are stacked on each other, some are on their side and stored like books on a bookshelf. I have a unit in each cooler that transmits data to a master unit which sits on my desk. After a number of years I lost that awesome crisp/clean cedar smell and a few great brothers here informed me of the benefits of colloidal silver which fixed the issue.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

ETA: Like Chad @CBoukal said, there is merit to keeping cigars in their own boxes.

1729083334588.png

Humis 5.jpg

@Magnaflux777 I absolutely love your set-up! It's better than mine so thanks for making me want to start over!:) I like it because you know everything at a glance.

I think we all went through humidors at some point, and as Tom @BlindedByScience said they seldom hold what they advertise. As you pointed out, consistent temp and RH are the key and as long as the area of your home is suitable, you have the cat's meow!

I will offer this for the simple reason that it "might" be more space efficient. However, you will lose your incredible categorization system. On the other hand, one of my simple pleasures in life is pulling up a chair and sitting in front of these and debating what to smoke/gift.

I bought these 150 quart marine coolers at Walmart for about $60 each, they are probably double that now. I found that these marine coolers had no smell. I bought 10 pounds of plain silica beads and programmed them myself using a Tupperware bin and a Cigar Oasis. These beads have worked well for 15 years.

I built cedar shelves inside the coolers and a shelving unit that mounts securely to the wall, I then installed cables to hold the lids level while I peruse. I can quickly see nearly every box I have, some boxes are stacked on each other, some are on their side and stored like books on a bookshelf. I have a unit in each cooler that transmits data to a master unit which sits on my desk. After a number of years I lost that awesome crisp/clean cedar smell and a few great brothers here informed me of the benefits of colloidal silver which fixed the issue.

View attachment 87611

View attachment 87612
Wonderful setup my friend I like it. I am leaning more towards leaving things the way they are. I'm sure when I tell my wife I don't think I will get the humidor she is going to ask me if I'm alright or possibly sick? She knows cigars are my thing. Anyway thank you very much and I hope you have a great day.
Magnaflux

Wonderful setup my friend I like it. I am leaning more towards leaving things the way they are. I'm sure when I tell my wife I don't think I will get the humidor she is going to ask me if I'm alright or possibly sick? She knows cigars are my thing. Anyway thank you very much and I hope you have a great day.
Magnaflux
Ask her for the money instead of waiting till Christmas, buy cigars, and she will know you are just fine.:cool:

Otherwise, read my first signature quote.🤣

ETA: Like Chad @CBoukal said, there is merit to keeping cigars in their own boxes.

View attachment 87611

View attachment 87612
Everyone knew this picture was going to be whipped out!!

• Haha
Reactions: MX

View attachment 87611

View attachment 87612
I know we joke, but this is a badass setup if you have the space for it...

Reactions: MX