• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Party Shorts

theorangeman

This evening I tried yet another one of these and although it was more enjoyable than others I've had in the past (likely because it's been resting in my humi for several months since someone graciously sent me one) it just wasn't that special. I was on the road and after about 8 hours in the car, I pulled this stick out and savored it for about 45 minutes. However, after my smoke, I kept thinking that I would take a Padron '64 Principe Maduro over this one any day of the week (even if the '64 costs a couple bucks more). I actually brought down a couple '64's with me and will probably have one tomorrow during the second half of my trip - I look forward to it! At any rate I'm wondering what the buzz is about these sticks (they seem to be overrated - now if I had an aged one, perhaps I'd feel differently).

Agreed, I've not yet had one that I thought was even a good cigar. Although I don't know the dates on them and they may have just still been sick too.

age them for 2-3 year and then start smoking them, there will be a big difference.

age them for 2-3 year and then start smoking them, there will be a big difference.
I would imagine. The problem is, I got a few on trades from clocks, and nobody ever has a date on them, so it's kinda like the "life is like a box of chocolates" theory.

I would imagine. The problem is, I got a few on trades from clocks, and nobody ever has a date on them, so it's kinda like the "life is like a box of chocolates" theory.

Give them 2 years from the date you received them, if you like the Partagas flavour you probably won't be disappointed.

I'd be disappointed if i had to wait 2yrs on a PC. Sounds like it's not his stick. orange, do you like the PSD4?

This falls into the "to each his own" category". Not everyone will enjoy the same cigar to the same degree. I love them, to me they are a go to smoke young, and even more-so when they are older. Actually, it's good that we don't all crave the same flavor profile. If we did this hobby would be pretty one dimensional.

I agree that they are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad, just not all that special. I like many other Partagas cigars and of all of them these are my least favorite. That being said they are also the least expensive Parti's that I have smoked and they are ok for the times when a quick smoke is in order. Boli PC's are preferred as well as some other small cigars. The Boli's that I have had lately are indeed superior.

I'd be disappointed if i had to wait 2yrs on a PC. Sounds like it's not his stick. orange, do you like the PSD4?
I don't think that's the case that its just not my stick. Everyone of them I've had has had burn problems. I think with time I'd enjoy them I just want them to burn well. I've got around 150 Habanos, and am honestly at the point, where I just may give up on them for a couple years as most don't have dates. Some do, like the HU Monarch I had last night from 1998, phenominal smoke. But burning through them with the "life is like a box of chocolates" theory on if I get one thats not sick is just not cutting it for me right now. I hate to waste those great smokes if they're not ready.

I don't think that's the case that its just not my stick. Everyone of them I've had has had burn problems. I think with time I'd enjoy them I just want them to burn well. I've got around 150 Habanos, and am honestly at the point, where I just may give up on them for a couple years as most don't have dates. Some do, like the HU Monarch I had last night from 1998, phenominal smoke. But burning through them with the "life is like a box of chocolates" theory on if I get one thats not sick is just not cutting it for me right now. I hate to waste those great smokes if they're not ready.

I wish more people would give up on Habanos :p

I like them very much, but prefer the SCDLH El Principes.
Great small smoke and decent price.

Not my favorite smoke, by far, but they're a great value.

All a matter of personal preference - 9 times out of 10, I would choose these over a PAM. Wisht they were a little bigger though. :)

The Shorts are little azz-kickers. As others have said before, punchy when young but full of character with a few years.

Wilkey

I just had one, to re-calibrate my opinions. Nick, your comments are interesting, as I recall thinking the same thing when I got my first few a couple of years back when I started smoking quality cigars.

Tonight's Party Short was about 40 mins of a nice, full, spicy smoke. Draw and burn were on the money...I like them a lot. Three boxes of 'em, so far... :love:

As others have said, they do get better with some down time on 'em. One thing that I think is significant is the RH they are kept at seems to be a "make or break" deal. My admittedly limited experience is that 70% RH is just too wet for most any ISOMs. I had trouble with the Party Shorts, PLPC's, Boli PC's...just about all of them. Now, I store all my smokes between 65-67% and keep my desktop "smoking" humi between 60-63%. The difference in how they smoke is dramatic; draw and burn are far superior and contrary to what folks may think, they don't burn "hot" at all...far from it. I can strongly recommend you store them at perhaps a lower RH than you usually keep them and try 62-ish% for your smokes....just try it.

Are they "better" than a Padron Principae...?? They are completely different smokes with a very different flavor profile. I like them both. Is the Party Short the "best" in a smaller smoke? Not really...but, they are one of the good ones and they have a solid place in my small smoke rotation.

Best thing I can offer is that everyone has different tastes and it's very subjective. Give them another chance, and my guess is that you'll be rewarded with what I enjoy in them - a solid, snappy, great 30 min smoke.

I wish more people would give up on Habanos :p
Well, that'd be too bad as they'd be missing out on some fantastic smokes. Like any brand or line of smokes, there are good ones, mediocre ones, and genuinely fantastic ones.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Well, that'd be too bad as they'd be missing out on some fantastic smokes. Like any brand or line of smokes, there are good ones, mediocre ones, and genuinely fantastic ones.

I was being facetious :)

I've only tried one so far and I think I caught it while in its sick period because it was quite flat and uninteresting. I have a box resting in my humi that some day I will open up and try (but probably not for another 3 years of so).

I hate these cigars. My thoughts on them are pretty much the same as yours.

Now THESE are "party shorts"

IM002804.jpg

LOL! Damn, coventry. I could have done without that! Like a car wreck, where you want to look away but can't.

I like them a lot even young. having said that, I thing I prefer Partagas PCEs as they seem a little more complex when young and I smoke most of mine young. another quick smoke that I'm really starting to appreciate is the Fonseca KDT. Another recent gem in the mareva catagory is the Diplomaticos #4. The last two are recent additions to the humidor and I tell you they are not gonna get any age to them because I've been *pun intended* burnin 'em up.

*edit to add: Coventry Cat, I bet your a real hit in those shorts at parties on Fire Island :whistling: