• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie humidor help

fduran27

Ok.. so i have been trying to season my humi that i got from cheaphumidors for the last 10 days... i used the solution and have been placing shot sized glasses of distilled water in it..... The meter has not passed 30%...... what could be wrong? any help? links etc..

I am a total newb.. and would just like assitance

What type of hygrometer are you using? Digital or analog? That makes a big difference because analogs pretty much suck.

First, perform the salt test on your hygrometer to make sure that it is not the issue.

Put a small amount of salt in a small container like a bottle cap or even a shot glass.
Add a little water to the salt, just enough to make it damp but not totally saturated.
Put the cap and salt water in a double ziploc bag with your hygrometer for about 8 hours.
Your hygrometer should read 75% after this.

Dave

its an analog... should i buy a digital and put it inside of the humi? what about these beads people talk about? or the set it and forget it seasoning kits? so far the help is great.... any links to nice digital hygrometers?

If you go to heartfeltindustries.com you'll find out all you need to know about the beads. I like to use bead tubes for my humidors. Also on that site you'll see adjustable digi hydros. I bought one last week and it comes with a Boveda calibrating kit I think for 3.00 extra.

Also how big is the humi you bought? I bought a 100ct from them and I'm still seasong I assume I'm gonna let it go for 2 weeks before I'm ready to use it.

Ok.. so i have been trying to season my humi that i got from cheaphumidors for the last 10 days... i used the solution and have been placing shot sized glasses of distilled water in it..... The meter has not passed 30%...... what could be wrong? any help? links etc..

I am a total newb.. and would just like assitance

What solution are you talking about, the PG solution? I would stop using that and just go with a small bowl of distilled water. also like many have already said, salt test your hydro, do a search there are a few real good threads with detailed step by step instructions, I will suggest that you use a good quality Tupperware container and not a bag for the test.

Also, search the vendors on this sight there are several that carry the beads, after you get the humi seasoned use the beads to keep the RH that you think suits your purpose the best.

Also, FWIW, I am a noob as well, and just went through all of this in the past few months and this is a summery of the advice I have been given. It worked for me, and I would think that it would work for you as well.

Good Luck

Tim

thanks to everyones advice... I am in the process of calibration and have also ordered a digital with some beads...

Lets see what happens

I want to say thank you for everyones advice.... I bought a digitial and it worked.. i am currently steady at 72degrees....

Again thanks

Very nice bro. good to see the help helped ya out in this case. Only suggestion I would make is to lower that from 72%. It is personal preference at that point but it seems like those would have a much higher chance of going out, harder draw, etc etc. just my humble .02 however!

Don