• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nespresso Vertuo - which machine should I buy?

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
We love our OR machine going on 8 or 9 years now but the allure of the Vertuo has me wanting to surprise the wife with one for Xmas. Might wait until Black Friday but looking for advice on which machine to buy.

We have the Vertuo Evoluo and really enjoy it, as it makes great coffee. It came with a frother, which is great as well.

I think we've had ours for 6 years or so, but I can't remember. The hardest part was finding pods, without ordering them online. Bed Bath & Beyond always had them, so did Target. I now see that Wal Mart started carrying these Vertuo pods and last time I bought some, it was $10.99 for 8 pods.

We have the Next in our office, I really like it!
Brews well, has all the size options.

I was looking at getting a plus last year for our house, it only does 4 sizes, but I only drink 2 so...yeah

I got a Next last year for Christmas, and as well as I like the idea of it, I would not ask for a Vertuo again.

First off, Nespresso has a patent on the pod design until 2030. That means you can only buy pods from Nespresso, or the ones that they let Starbucks put their name on. So instead of paying whatever price Nespresso decides on, I have been refilling the pods myself. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Secondly, after 8 months, it started leaking and a part broke off inside the machine. If you do a Google search, you will get bored reading the very high number of reviews that mention leaking. I had to send my machine into Nespresso for repair. They replaced both the upper and lower parts of the machine with used parts. So now I have an eight month old refurbished machine.

If I had it to do over, I would have asked for an original version. The pods are readily available, and the machines are bulletproof.

Just my thoughts and experience…

eta: My apologies, I have the VertuoPlus not a Next.

Last edited:
I got a Next last year for Christmas, and as well as I like the idea of it, I would not ask for a Vertuo again.

First off, Nespresso has a patent on the pod design until 2030. That means you can only buy pods from Nespresso, or the ones that they let Starbucks put their name on. So instead of paying whatever price Nespresso decides on, I have been refilling the pods myself. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Secondly, after 8 months, it started leaking and a part broke off inside the machine. If you do a Google search, you will get bored reading the very high number of reviews that mention leaking. I had to send my machine into Nespresso for repair. They replaced both the upper and lower parts of the machine with used parts. So now I have an eight month old refurbished machine.

If I had it to do over, I would have asked for an original version. The pods are readily available, and the machines are bulletproof.

Just my thoughts and experience…

eta: My apologies, I have the VertuoPlus not a Next.

Thanks for the info on your experience. I have seen where the Vertuo are much more problematic than the OR. Haven’t seen any other options than Nespresso for OR pods either though. Keurig pods are available damn near everywhere and cheap. Wish Nespresso was the same.

Thanks for the info on your experience. I have seen where the Vertuo are much more problematic than the OR. Haven’t seen any other options than Nespresso for OR pods either though. Keurig pods are available damn near everywhere and cheap. Wish Nespresso was the same.

Here’s a bunch of choices from Amazon: OR Pods

My local grocery store has OR pods from the following:
- Peet’s Coffee
- Lavazza
- Cafe Bustelo

Also, Target has their store brand ($6/10), Walmart has a bulk box of espresso pods ($27/100), and Costco has Peet’s ($45/80). So there are non-Nespresso choices that are widely available. However, you are very correct about the k-cups. You can’t sneeze with out hitting 20 different brands!

Anyways, I’m not trying to tell you how to spend your dollars, just what I have experienced. Maybe I just got a lemon, and you would have better luck.

Here’s a bunch of choices from Amazon: OR Pods

My local grocery store has OR pods from the following:
- Peet’s Coffee
- Lavazza
- Cafe Bustelo

Also, Target has their store brand ($6/10), Walmart has a bulk box of espresso pods ($27/100), and Costco has Peet’s ($45/80). So there are non-Nespresso choices that are widely available. However, you are very correct about the k-cups. You can’t sneeze with out hitting 20 different brands!

Anyways, I’m not trying to tell you how to spend your dollars, just what I have experienced. Maybe I just got a lemon, and you would have better luck.
Wow nice! I guess I haven’t looked hard enough. I remember when I bought our machine people telling me you could only buy coffee from Nespresso. Times have changed. Thanks Brother!

I believe I bought the nespresso pop machine for the wife last black Friday. Around $90 if I remember correctly. She loves it, says the coffee is wonderful, and cheaper than buying it out somewhere.

I'm sure it's cheaper for her than buying a coffee somewhere, because I've been buying all the pods. She drinks a ton of coffee!