• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My God, the smell!

Ginseng

Banned
Recently I went back through my Habanos coolers to do a little rearranging and checking for beetle damage. Luckily, there was not a single sign of infestation. :thumbs: Part of this quarterly ritual involves opening up the cabs, SLBs, dressed boxes, etc. and breathing in deeply of the pent up aroma to assess how things are developing (and to tantalize myself a little, I admit ;)) This time, I found a few boxes that were absolutely blossoming in terms of aromatic power. Almost all of the most amazing were in cedar/cedar plywood containers such as cabs and SLBs.

Wow! As I worked through the coolers, checking and sniffing, I found myself completely hypnotized by the pungent tobacco smell. Moving from box to box was like taking hit after hit of crack as my cigar pleasure centers lit up from the stimulation. I found myself thinking "There is nothing in the world that smells so utterly, sensually delicious!"

And then for good measure, I checked my NC stock. You know, even though I have some of the better cigars from this realm, none of them delivered a smell that was anywhere near as intoxicating as even the most humble Habanos. Except for one. The Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label. That was one cigar that smelled like a top quality Havana cigar. Amazing.

So, have any of you had this same experience? Do you know what I'm talking about? Does this agree with your experience?

I know that sniffing them like this must cut 5 years from their ultimate lifespan, but I just can't help myself. Heck, none of these boxes are making it past 15 years so why worry. :D

Wilkey

Recently I went back through my Habanos coolers to do a little rearranging and checking for beetle damage. Luckily, there was not a single sign of infestation. :thumbs: Part of this quarterly ritual involves opening up the cabs, SLBs, dressed boxes, etc. and breathing in deeply of the pent up aroma to assess how things are developing (and to tantalize myself a little, I admit ;) ) This time, I found a few boxes that were absolutely blossoming in terms of aromatic power. Almost all of the most amazing were in cedar/cedar plywood containers such as cabs and SLBs.

Wow! As I worked through the coolers, checking and sniffing, I found myself completely hypnotized by the pungent tobacco smell. Moving from box to box was like taking hit after hit of crack as my cigar pleasure centers lit up from the stimulation. I found myself thinking "There is nothing in the world that smells so utterly, sensually delicious!"

And then for good measure, I checked my NC stock. You know, even though I have some of the better cigars from this realm, none of them delivered a smell that was anywhere near as intoxicating as even the most humble Habanos. Except for one. The Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label. That was one cigar that smelled like a top quality Havana cigar. Amazing.

So, have any of you had this same experience? Do you know what I'm talking about? Does this agree with your experience?

I know that sniffing them like this must cut 5 years from their ultimate lifespan, but I just can't help myself. Heck, none of these boxes are making it past 15 years so why worry. :D

Wilkey

Yes, Wilkey...you are not alone!

Earlier this week I cleared out my humi for a reorganization (pic's to follow). As I checked the boxes for quantity left and any unmentionables...I found myself in awe at the flavors that were eminating form the boxes. The exception was an newer box of rass that's just getting ill.

Not having smoked for a long time, nor having many boxes that have over a couple of years...it was a treat to finally realize the potential of aging cigars. All this from just letting them sit!!!

Yea...like that will happen for a long time! :whistling:

My gal thinks I'm strange, because I'll often carry a decent, but expendable cigar around with me, just to be able to take the occasional sniff.

Plenny other reasons she thinks I'm strange too. :laugh:

How true! I always try to find another reason to open my humis or cooler - to check for humidity, to rearrange, to rearrange yet again. Only to have another sniff of that sacred aroma.

It is another reason why I prefer to smoke my cigars at home where I can savour Habano's fragrant scent, sniffing and drooling for minutes before liting it up without being looked at as a pervert.

It is another reason why I prefer to smoke my cigars at home where I can savour Habano's fragrant scent, sniffing and drooling for minutes before liting it up without being looked at as a pervert.

"Cigar Pervert"

We've discovered a new level to this pleasurable sickness. :p

Wilkey

"Cigar Pervert"

We've discovered a new level to this pleasurable sickness. :p

Wilkey

lol, and Wilkey the old saying "The nose knows" fits your first post perfectly.

If breathing deep while bending over my humidor makes me a pervert, then so be it! :thumbs:

No pervert is when you bend over and smell someone elses "humidor".

Yeah, I definitely love to open up my humi to smell the goods. I have an old HDM cab from 98, my first ISOM box, it still smells great, though a bit subdued from the first whiff.

I like to "sniff my stick" for several minutes before lighting up too, it really makes a difference in the way I taste that first puff and sets the tone for the whole smoke.

I also sniff the cap during the smoke too, this helps me detect the more subtle flavors during the smoke too.

My wife loves the smell when I open the humidor, than I get booted out of the house when I fire one of them up. :(

I agree with your cigar aroma raving! Are you ok, it's very dangerous to smell without at least one medic in attention? ???

Actually, I ensured that my cabinet humi is large emough to sleep in. My dreams have improved :love:

Brian

My wife loves the smell when I open the humidor, than I get booted out of the house when I fire one of them up. :(

Bummer. I'm fortunate to be married to a woman who insists that I smoke cigars inside the house - she enjoys the smell. Actually it becomes a growing concern to me as she likes to take several puffs from cigar that I smoke and appears to enjoy it more and more. Probably I should get some dog rockets before it gets out of hand.

Awesome !! The Bolivar RC's I just got smell very good. That's why I can't believe all these people who insist on smoking Cubans only but are smoking fakes. I mean the smell is pretty easy to pick out, I've never smelled anything like a good Cuban cigar.

I do it all the time, Wilkey! I give people the "guess which is which" aroma test when showing those folks [who ask] a mini-tour of the humidors. Even non-smokers easily pick out the differences and become more and more intrigued at the contrast as we discuss them.

In fact, I think I'll go downstairs and do a bug check of my own. ;)

I like to "sniff my stick" for several minutes before lighting up too, it really makes a difference in the way I taste that first puff and sets the tone for the whole smoke.

I also sniff the cap during the smoke too, this helps me detect the more subtle flavors during the smoke too.

I'll take this opportunity to admit to another wacky thing that I do but that really magnifies the experience of a cigar. Here goes.

After I cut the cigar but before I light up, I put the foot of the cigar right up to a nostril and make a slow, deliberate inhalation. This allows me to "mainline" the raw, unlit character of the tobaccos. It is intense and this really sets the stage for focused scrutiny of the smoking experience if I choose to go that way.

This technique does have its risks though. I recently came across a cigar that smelled terrible across the wrapper. And so I thought that the bunch must be better. Good God, was I wrong. After a short pull, I nearly puked from the smell. I got a sinus-full of the most horrific smelling cigar I'd ever encountered. Honest to god it smelled like dog $hit composted in a bucket of grass and celery clippings sprinkled with rusted iron filings. I'm still haunted by the trauma.

Wilkey

Although I haven't yet ventured into ISOMland, I enjoy the aroma of both my coolerdor lined with fresh spanish cedar and every cigar pre-light. I want my next box to begin my collection of ISOMs but can't decide which yet.

I got a sinus-full of the most horrific smelling cigar I'd ever encountered. Honest to god it smelled like dog $hit composted in a bucket of grass and celery clippings sprinkled with rusted iron filings. I'm still haunted by the trauma.

Wilkey

Oh come on, you forgot that I sent you those? They aren't real Wilkey, you said so yourself. :)

I notice the difference between Habanos and all others I've been in contact with. I also do as you describe and when I get to Añejo, Opus and others the sent while not bad is not nearly that of the Habanos. My collection is microscopic compared to yours but even at this level the difference is there, defiantly there.

Yep, the smell from my habanos humidor is delicious! Richer than the aroma from the NC humidor by a long shot!

And then for good measure, I checked my NC stock. You know, even though I have some of the better cigars from this realm, none of them delivered a smell that was anywhere near as intoxicating as even the most humble Habanos.

pffffft. Come smell my humidor, you'll change your mind.* :) Ya ever consider that you put one too many Moontrances in your freakin' humidor, making the entire thing smell like spiced sweatsocks?

* Sniffing MattR's butt is known to have the same effect in laboratory gerbils**

** Please do not ask what gerbils were doing near MattR's butt***

*** Please do not ask what MattR was doing in the laboratory