• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kinda seems fishy...

Is there any chance you happen to have any of those particular cigars at home already that you know are legit?

Maybe you could check into what exact cigars those are at the shop and post here to let us know. Sometimes spotting fakes is as easy as the fact that the purported cigars don't actually exist. Who knows, just for the sake of outing the vendor and making a fool of him in his own shop I'd send you one of each (real deal) of the fakes he's peddling if I happen to have them.

And of course, there's still the fact that he's committing a crime regardless of whether or not they're real. Selling fake cuban cigars is just as illegal as selling the real deal.
More specifically, selling fake Cuban cigars runs you afoul of U.S. trademark laws. Selling real Cubans, well, we know who that's likely to trigger a letter from.

Andy, I'd suggest that if he's going to do comparisons, we make sure he has the right camera equipment and guidance to help him document the situation.

Wilkey

That's a good idea. Tell you what, how about you go ahead and buy one of each of the fakes, as well as a few of the real deal and send those all to me! :sign:

Well I went ahead and ran over to the shop. Heres what I brought home... Any help?
The tubes...
RyJcubans002.jpg

RyJcubans001.jpg

RyJcubans003.jpg

The Cap...
RyJcubans005.jpg

The Band...
RyJcubans006.jpg

RyJcubans007.jpg

The foot...
RyJcubans008.jpg

It would be super helpful if you could measure the ring gauge, as well as get a pic or two or the cigars next to a tape measure or ruler so we can see the exact length.

if anyone needs a hand with camera features and picture / image handling support let me know.

I'm always happy to lend a hand in nerdery, and for some reason imaging specifically.

~R

if anyone needs a hand with camera features and picture / image handling support let me know.

I'm always happy to lend a hand in nerdery, and for some reason imaging specifically.

~R
that bad huh? :sign: its cool... :cool:

Nahh, yer pics are great, apparently my wireless connection was borkin out on me, your pictures didn't load, I thought you were on crack with your post and no pics around it..

Sry =)

~R

The foot picture is unclear. Unfortunately, that's an important one. Could you take that one again?

Off the top of my head, nothing jumps out as immediately suspicious. I'd have to pull out some of my fake and real RyJ Churchills tubes to compare. The only two things that are sort of unusual, uncharacteristic, are 1) the wrapper is oily looking. Never have I seen an oily wrapper on a RyJ Churchill, 2) the cap is a bit sketchy.

Truly oily looking wrappers are quite unusual on Habanos. They are particularly out of place on large vitolas. And as far as the cap, the RyJ C is the flagship of the marca. I've never seen one that is less than perfect. Same goes for the H. Upmann Sir Winston, also the flagship. Always well made, always cosmetically perfect. Well, darn near close to always.

If you would be willing to send one my way, it would be added to the group of bogus tubos I'm analyzing for the big tubos expose coming up later this summer.

Wilkey

Hey wilkey... I knew someone would mention the oily wrapper... Truth is that it was my sweaty ass fingers... Hot and humid today! :blush: sorry... And I'll work on that foot photo again...

Any other thoughts? I need ammo in my arsenal when I go back to talk to them again...

Just walk in there and tell him he's a moron, and if he doesn't stop peddling fake Cuban cigars, someone might press fraud charges and shut down his legitimate business.

On the very remote chance that they are real, you can mention that risking his legitimate business by violating the trading with the enemy act is also the act of a moronic person.

Off the top of my head, nothing jumps out as immediately suspicious. I'd have to pull out some of my fake and real RyJ Churchills tubes to compare. The only two things that are sort of unusual, uncharacteristic, are 1) the wrapper is oily looking. Never have I seen an oily wrapper on a RyJ Churchill, 2) the cap is a bit sketchy.

I agree, the construction is mediocre here, but also the wrappers are rather dark and veiny. Anything is possible, but I'm leaning towards fugazi.

That said, as Wilkey noted, seeing them in person is the real way to make a decision.

This was a very interesting thread.

Unfortunately, it has left me hanging!

What ever became of this story? Did our hero thwart the evil counterfeit Tubos?
Did our trusty detective crack the code and solve the mystery?