• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keep Dreaming Cuba

fjldo said:
It's very possible that if CC were to come to the US market, it would likely occur under the same circumstances Habanos S.A. presently distributes around the world.....they only use one company in each country to distribute its cigars.  Their franchise chain of stores, La Casa del Habano, would be one method of controlling distribution and protecting against counterfeiting.  I could also see licensing the franchise name to existing B&Ms as "official" CC stores, likely at a very high price.  Pricing of cigars could be interesting since early demand would be so high.

Frank
Agreed but in other countries the cohiba usa brand does not exists, or the montecristo usa brand.  These guys will both make claims to the brand within the US causing the issue. 

One thing is for certain, prices will go up and taxes will be high. 

I'm not sure about the whole brand issue.  My unclear and probably naive picture is that various Cuban families owned most if not all of the cigar brands and other businesses before Castro seized power and nationalized/stole everything.  Most (or all) of the families fled taking rightful ownership of the brands with them.

As far as I'm concerned the embargo should stand until the Cuban government returns ownership to the people.  I know they're starting to relax things a bit and let some private business operate.  I hope that continues to expand.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :blush:

Maybe a different topic for a different thread, but (if CC's are available in the U.S.) I wonder what impact box codes will have on the market? With tons of ROTT sticks being the first thing available, there will be the obvious trend towards aged/embargo stock. But I wonder more about whether or not some NC brands will start to stamp their boxes as a marketing strategy...pitching a 5 year old Don Carlos vs. a 5 minute old Monte 4 to a customer being one scenario. The what-ifs are limitless all the way around here....

I will still keep buying from my trusted sources over seas regardless, until all this dies down and becomes more established.

It will sure be a cool sight to walk into your local B&M in the future (5-10 years) and see cubans in the humidor, that is if the government doesn't tax B&M's out of existence.

pulse746 said:
It will sure be a cool sight to walk into your local B&M in the future (5-10 years) and see cubans in the humidor, that is if the government doesn't tax B&M's out of existence.
Lol... I doubt it will happen

But, maybe.... Just maybe there is a chance.

LarryH said:
I'm not sure about the whole brand issue.  My unclear and probably naive picture is that various Cuban families owned most if not all of the cigar brands and other businesses before Castro seized power and nationalized/stole everything.  Most (or all) of the families fled taking rightful ownership of the brands with them.

As far as I'm concerned the embargo should stand until the Cuban government returns ownership to the people.  I know they're starting to relax things a bit and let some private business operate.  I hope that continues to expand.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :blush:
Amen Brother.

Everyone will be running to Canada to buy cigars. That's how bad prices will be. The bodega cigars will take a large influence in some of the market. The bodega cigars are non existent in Havana, but visible in the countryside. A lot of buying and re-selling of bodega cigars in Havana right now. Then there will be 50 shades of gray market cigars popping up all over the place. John