• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keep Dreaming Cuba

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
Capturing 20 to 30 percent of the US market? Maybe initially when cigar shops buy their inventory. But at their current prices and the taxes involved here in the United States...even a Breva will be considered a Premium cigar.  :laugh:

LINK

What I did find interesting were these facts.... 

"Spain remains the largest market for Cuban cigars, followed by France, China, Germany and then Swizterland. Cohiba is the country's largest selling brand, followed by Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Partagás. In terms of regional sales, Europe is its largest market by far, representing more than half of the company's sales." 

Not even a mention of the market in Great Britain and the fact that their most expensive brand sold the most cigars worldwide....with no mention of Bolivar as a sales leader. 

Everyone and his twin brother will want to try a "real" Cuban cigar when they are finally legal.  I'm sticking to my forecast; prices will go crazy, availability will suck, and fakes will be rampant.....for a while.

For how long is the only question in my mind.....

Tom I think 2-3 years at least until it settles down. Buy now, hunker down and wait it out.  :(

BlindedByScience said:
Everyone and his twin brother will want to try a "real" Cuban cigar when they are finally legal.  I'm sticking to my forecast; prices will go crazy, availability will suck, and fakes will be rampant.....for a while.

For how long is the only question in my mind.....

Agree. I can already imagine the prices people will be willing to pay for the "before the embargo was lifted cigars."

When asked if the opening of the U.S. market would represent a challenge for the Cuban cigar industry to maintain quality while increasing production, Fernandez Maique said the industry would never compromise quality. He said the Cuban cigar industry had gone through a "difficult period" around the year 2000, and that it had learned a lesson never to compromise on quality again.
"We believe we are now a leader when it comes to quality. ... and we will protect that jealously," said Fernandez Maique

I'm a dumb half hillbilly newb, but wasn't the quality already compromised verses what it once was....

No crop rototation, etc.?

I think the bigger issue are all those cuban cigar brands that are brands in the US now like Monte, Romeos etc.  These are brands different than what they are in Cuba

Well, I have to wonder if someone is waiting for the embargo to end; would being ready to pounce on an order, from a trusted vendor, the hour after the announcement is made, with a 5 or 10 box order be a good way to go? I.e., catch the wave really early and possibly avoid the issues for a year or so?

How can lifting the embargo not have a detrimental effect to seasoned cigar smokers ? Regardless of the market share Habanos S.A. captures in the US, even the perception of increased demand will cause a domino effect for some time. If theoretically the embargo tomorrow, a significant number of "casual/novice" cigar smokers would seek that elusive Cuban to see what all the hype was about, vendors would immediately price gouge to maximize profits from their current inventory, Habanos S.A. would increase production to meet demand and as a result, quality will undoubtedly suffer.
To me, someone who enjoys CC regularly, the embargo was an effective means of "weeding" out the casual cigar smoker or "poser". Most of us know a reliable source we have used for sometimes years with little to no issues and still enjoy Cubans embargo and all. For myself, all was good as far as I was concerned.
My prediction IF the embargo lifts, prices will rise drastically, level off at amounts still higher than what we pay today, and quality will drop for years to come as Habanos S.A. increases production,  counts up their pesos and laughs at the gringos. ( I think I need therapy )

I'm more interested in how overseas retailers will be affected, if at all.  Not necessarily our current sources, but just the everyday B&M that someone may visit in, say, Europe.  

MadMonk said:
Well, I have to wonder if someone is waiting for the embargo to end; would being ready to pounce on an order, from a trusted vendor, the hour after the announcement is made, with a 5 or 10 box order be a good way to go? I.e., catch the wave really early and possibly avoid the issues for a year or so?
Even if the embargo is lifted, you will likely not be able to purchase Cuban cigars (at least no RyJ's, Cohiba, montes, la Gloria,etc.) until they work out the trade mark issues. All those brands that are sold here in the US and Dominican made are actually just shells of the real Cuban owned brands.

Peterk814 said:

Even if the embargo is lifted, you will likely not be able to purchase Cuban cigars (at least no RyJ's, Cohiba, montes, la Gloria,etc.) until they work out the trade mark issues. All those brands that are sold here in the US and Dominican made are actually just shells of the real Cuban owned brands.
The supreme Court refused to hear an appeal by general cigar last week. This officially holds up Cubatabaco's trademark win on Cohiba. Use Google FU for the source as I'm too lazy to hunt for it on my phone.

People can go crazy for hype when the embargo is lifted, I'll just sit back and laugh with a padron 1964 maduro while they try to suck air out of a cohiba with an impossible draw from the overproduction.

Backslide said:

The supreme Court refused to hear an appeal by general cigar last week. This officially holds up Cubatabaco's trademark win on Cohiba. Use Google FU for the source as I'm too lazy to hunt for it on my phone.

I thought I read a few years ago that the rights to most of the brand names was already worked out. I guess not.... 

Backslide said:

I saw that.  and while it sets precedence for other cases, it wont be instant.  It'll be at least a couple of years to figure out all the trademarking issues even if the ban were lifted today.  There is a difference between duty free products and actual importation for commercial use.

ironpeddler said:

I thought I read a few years ago that the rights to most of the brand names was already worked out. I guess not.... 

Because Altadis/Imperial owns ~50% of Habanos S.A., I think the trademarks they own won't be too difficult... Montecristo, H. Upmann, and RyJ come to mind.  The ones that General owns--Bolivar, Hoyo, El Rey del Mundo, La Gloria Cubana, Partagas, Punch, Sancho Panza--those will be a bit more problematic. 

I've heard rumors (or possibly just conjecture) that there maybe a merger on the horizon as well.

mjolnir01 said:

Because Altadis/Imperial owns ~50% of Habanos S.A., I think the trademarks they own won't be too difficult... Montecristo, H. Upmann, and RyJ come to mind.  The ones that General owns--Bolivar, Hoyo, El Rey del Mundo, La Gloria Cubana, Partagas, Punch, Sancho Panza--those will be a bit more problematic. 

I've heard rumors (or possibly just conjecture) that there maybe a merger on the horizon as well.

I dont think the Cuban brands will be keen on merger in this case.  They own the true brand and product.  They have little to gain from a merger other than quicker entry into the US market. 

This will also bring a lot of fakes into the US to start.  I too was fine with the embargo status quo

It's very possible that if CC were to come to the US market, it would likely occur under the same circumstances Habanos S.A. presently distributes around the world.....they only use one company in each country to distribute its cigars.  Their franchise chain of stores, La Casa del Habano, would be one method of controlling distribution and protecting against counterfeiting.  I could also see licensing the franchise name to existing B&Ms as "official" CC stores, likely at a very high price.  Pricing of cigars could be interesting since early demand would be so high.

Frank

I would like to see a couple of US only brands. "Neener" and "We're Still Here, Bitches" come to mind.