• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just how bad was 1999-2001?

I've been aging some Cohiba Esplenditos from around that time. They were purchased the week before 9-11 in Cuba. After patiently not smoking them for all of this time, I've found that nearly half of them are plugged. I've already tossed one after under one inch. What really kills it is when there are a few of us smoking them, and it's almost a sure thing that someone will have a bad cigar.

Maybe the "Esplendidos" will not be as plugged!

It's a mixed bag. Some stuff GREAT....some ok...most ehhh.

You have to understand the transition period that they were going thru. Not only seed changes...but poor growing seasons effected the crops.

Not to mention poor oversite and managment in the rolling rooms.

Do a goodle and you'll find out more.

That's been my experience EXACTLY. You just never know with those years. Even the same brand and vitola from the same year (but different box) can be a difference experience.

<snip>
Because of that, vendors were left with an enormous amount of stock that has been aging and maturing over the last 7-9 years.
<snip>
I have bought many boxes from the 99-01 period recently and have been pleased with all of them. Many of them are available for the same price as new stock.

I have/had a number of boxes of SLR, La Gloria Cubana, El Rey del Mundo and other brands from that period and, other than some issues with 1 of my 2 boxes of '00 SLR Lonsdales in which perhaps 1 in 4 or 5 was very tight, I have had no problems and many happy smokes.

Maybe I'm just lucky because I have heard horror stories for a long time about this era. I've been willing to take the risk because I have had a tough time saying "No" to boxes of 7+ year aged cigars at virtually no premium over current year stock, as Mike33 pointed out.

- Tim

I have 5 SLR Lonnies from 99 that I got in a trade with a fine BOTL here. The one I smoked was pure delight. The burn and draw were awesome.

Best Regards
Don

I've had quite a few '99's (of various manufacturers and vitolas) and a few '01's. I'm most impressed with the '99 Sancho Panza Non-Plus' and the '01 SLR A's... :thumbs:

I've had a few good and many bad from the 01 and 02 vintage.
I'm staying away from these from now on if possible.
It's just too disappointing to get prospectively nice cigars and have them turn out to be plugged and or bland.

I've had quite a few '99's (of various manufacturers and vitolas) and a few '01's. I'm most impressed with the '99 Sancho Panza Non-Plus' and the '01 SLR A's... :thumbs:

Ditto on the SLR A's 01. Split two cab's and a box and they have been great. I did notice the box versions had tighter draws than the cab's.

I have several boxes in that time frame. The only box I've had a problem with is PSD4. No problems that I can think of otherwise.

Brian

Just don't get any Vegas Robanias from that era. They are unsmokeable.

Definitely. The 2 I've smoked so far have had a less than pleasurable draw. Really bad actually.

Joe, what rH were these kept at before you smoked them? If these are the same ones, I have smoked two from the same box and one from another with the same code without a single draw issue so far. Just curious.

My rh is usually between 60-63. Due to the heat, I need to keep ice packs near my humi to control the temperature. It never gets higher than 63 rh or lower than 60 with the temperature is right around 69-70 degrees. They tasted stupendous but the draw has been so horrible. I have noticed when the cigar is at the half way point, the tobacco kind of swells up near the cap where I clipped making the draw even tougher. I blame this on the heat and humidity being so high compared to where they are stored. The weather can really f*** up a wonderful smoking experience. But other than that, they are wonderful smokes. Does this make any sense? Let me know what you think DeVonn.

My rh is usually between 60-63. Due to the heat, I need to keep ice packs near my humi to control the temperature. It never gets higher than 63 rh or lower than 60 with the temperature is right around 69-70 degrees. They tasted stupendous but the draw has been so horrible. I have noticed when the cigar is at the half way point, the tobacco kind of swells up near the cap where I clipped making the draw even tougher. I blame this on the heat and humidity being so high compared to where they are stored. The weather can really f*** up a wonderful smoking experience. But other than that, they are wonderful smokes. Does this make any sense? Let me know what you think DeVonn.

It's funny you said that because I've also had the same thing occur. Not particularly with these, but with other cigars that I've smoked outside on a day where the humidity is really high. Often times I've had the draw tighten up as the cigar got progerssively shorter. This is one of the reasons I've gone from keeping my sticks for smoking @ 69%-70% rH down to around 60%. But I still keep my sticks for long term storage(if there's even such a thing :sign: ) @ about 70%.

It's funny you said that because I've also had the same thing occur. Not particularly with these, but with other cigars that I've smoked outside on a day where the humidity is really high. Often times I've had the draw tighten up as the cigar got progerssively shorter. This is one of the reasons I've gone from keeping my sticks for smoking @ 69%-70% rH down to around 60%. But I still keep my sticks for long term storage(if there's even such a thing :sign: ) @ about 70%.

I am going to try my hardest to let these sit until fall. We will see if there is a difference in the quality of the smoke. Damn shame these New England summers. They even affect cigars :( :( ??? ???

I don't know how they smoke them down there considering the humidity is 3x worse....
Lungs of f***ing steel I bet :laugh: :laugh:

I've been aging some Cohiba Esplenditos from around that time. They were purchased the week before 9-11 in Cuba. After patiently not smoking them for all of this time, I've found that nearly half of them are plugged. I've already tossed one after under one inch. What really kills it is when there are a few of us smoking them, and it's almost a sure thing that someone will have a bad cigar.

Maybe the "Esplendidos" will not be as plugged!

That's a real shame. It's one thing to light up a recently purchased secreto and find it needs a good poke, but to be rewarded for patient aging with a dowel? Ouch!
Has anyone else seen this post over at CF?
http://lounge.cigarfamily.com/showthread.p...ghlight=opening
I was working my way through a box of '01 SCDH El Morros when I saw this. Terribly plugged, and though a careful poking made them smokeable, not all the flavor you expect from this cigar came through. So, a couple of months ago I clipped them all, pre-poked the ones that felt hardest, and spread them out in a box and put them back in the bottom of the humi. Did the same with some SD3 2006s which have been chronically tight as well. I guess every so often I'll give one a try and see if over time this method works.
Anyone else have any experience doing this?