• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Have yet to meet an ISOM that blew me away

The main differences I tend to find with Cuban and N/Cs are two-fold. First, often people try to compare strength and the body of the cigar in terms of full/medium/light bodied. I have found this very hard to do. For one, there is not really a Cuban cigar I can think of besides the RyJ Cazedore that could be considered powerful, at least to me. On the other hand, there are multitudes of N/Cs that are just that, powerful. I don't think this equates to being full-bodied, however. When I am thinking of how to describe the body of the smoke, I am thinking of depth and "roundness" of the cigar rather than sheer power. Partagas, RA, Bolivar, Linea Classic Cohibas are all full-bodied cigars, but none are powerful like say Opus.

The second difference I have found is there is no real complexity in MOST N/C cigars I have had. Save the Padron Millenium, some aged VSGs, and a handful of well-aged Opus I tend to find zero complexity in N/Cs. Not to say that is bad, as there are many that are very good without being complex. As for Cubans, I find them to be more complex initially and especially with age on them.

Everyone's taste are different; if you haven't found a Cuban cigar that has impressed you yet, no worries. There are plenty of great N/Cs :thumbs:

Excellent post, Mike.

I have to say that I have yet to smoke an ISOM that impressed me. While my experience with them is somewhat limited and I have yet to smoke one with significant age on it I tend to find them very bland. I will say that I am a fan of med./full bodied cigars and again have yet to find an ISOM falls into that category. Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?

I've found some that I've really, really enjoyed... my favorite marcas seem to be Ramon Allones, Cohiba, Bolivar, and a few others... but your taste may vary. I don't think it has anything to do with "Cuban or non-Cuban"... I think you just need to find a marca that you enjoy

The main differences I tend to find with Cuban and N/Cs are two-fold. First, often people try to compare strength and the body of the cigar in terms of full/medium/light bodied. I have found this very hard to do. For one, there is not really a Cuban cigar I can think of besides the RyJ Cazedore that could be considered powerful, at least to me. On the other hand, there are multitudes of N/Cs that are just that, powerful. I don't think this equates to being full-bodied, however. When I am thinking of how to describe the body of the smoke, I am thinking of depth and "roundness" of the cigar rather than sheer power. Partagas, RA, Bolivar, Linea Classic Cohibas are all full-bodied cigars, but none are powerful like say Opus.

The second difference I have found is there is no real complexity in MOST N/C cigars I have had. Save the Padron Millenium, some aged VSGs, and a handful of well-aged Opus I tend to find zero complexity in N/Cs. Not to say that is bad, as there are many that are very good without being complex. As for Cubans, I find them to be more complex initially and especially with age on them.

Oh, you're definitely next in my blind taste testing. :)

:laugh: nice!

I was waiting for you :D

I do think it is completely true what you were talking about finding the right marca. I'm not a big fan of Bolivar, SP, SCDLH, and most VRs.....I would take a Padron over those any day. Keep trying different brands and you'll likely find something that is to your tastes.

Edited to add: My taste for Bolivar is coming around thanks to the GM and the BF.

I've found some that I've really, really enjoyed... my favorite marcas seem to be Ramon Allones, Cohiba, Bolivar, and a few others... but your taste may vary. I don't think it has anything to do with "Cuban or non-Cuban"... I think you just need to find a marca that you enjoy

Hey Moki (and anyone else who wants to chime in), just out of curiosity (and partially in line with the subject, I guess), do you find the difference between Cohiba and any others worth the difference in cost??

I mean, even in Cuba Cohiba is close to double (in many cases) the price of others in similar vitolas. Maybe it's my "developing tastes" but give me a Reyes, a Funadore or a Ser D #4 any day over any Cohiba I've had. I'll freely admit that I have smoked more of the others and have never had an "Aged" Cohiba, but I have had VERY few of the others I list above either.

Personally, I don't see the value.

Hey Moki (and anyone else who wants to chime in), just out of curiosity (and partially in line with the subject, I guess), do you find the difference between Cohiba and any others worth the difference in cost??

I mean, even in Cuba Cohiba is close to double (in many cases) the price of others in similar vitolas. Maybe it's my "developing tastes" but give me a Reyes, a Funadore or a Ser D #4 any day over any Cohiba I've had. I'll freely admit that I have smoked more of the others and have never had an "Aged" Cohiba, but I have had VERY few of the others I list above either.

Personally, I don't see the value.

Taste is what it is, man. I personally like the unique Cohiba taste the you usually get with those cigars... but I find the Trinidads to be boring and thus overpriced for me.

It's all relative to your taste buds.

It has nothing to do with cost, it is, as Moki has alluded to, all about taste.

Just like all subjective likes and dislikes, what's good for me, may not be good for you.

Brian

Everyone's taste are different; if you haven't found a Cuban cigar that has impressed you yet, no worries. There are plenty of great N/Cs :thumbs:

Excellent post, Mike.

x2

As far as power goes... I can tell you that a fresh (actually handed to me off his rolling table) Taboada Sublime was one of the most delicious tasting and definitely the most powerful thing I've ever smoked. Arguably not a "production" cigar (except he can't seem to really retire) that fresh Sublime hit me like 10 Power Rangers.

You can always ask Chewbacco about the strength of Opus :laugh:

I do agree with you on the varying strengths and powers of NC smokes. Perfect case in point is the LFD Double Ligero or the JdN Antano.

If lack of NC complexity means that the NC's are one-dimensional, then I do agree (somewhat). I just had an Anejo 55 yesterday that was a nice consistent smoke from start to finish. I enjoyed that sweet, cognac(y) taste (I'm not sure how else to describe it), but there were some bitter notes that weren't all that enjoyable. On the other hand, the RA Piramide I smoked today had more flavors I could note, but it was also still very consistent. Neither cigar had any real kick, no "power," but each had enjoyable flavors. There have been a number of ISOMs that I've had that have had some interesting flavors, but many of them have had some shifts in flavor that were lost on me. It has been the aged sticks that have had the most interesting flavors.

Beyond taste and power, I'm a big fan of smoke volume (something I've always appreciated with Padrons). When a cigar doesn't have a sufficient smoke volume it brings me way down, especially when the taste is fantastic.

My palate is certainly not as sophisticated as many of you guys. There are certain tastes that I just don't pick up. I have noticed that when smoking certain gauge cigars being mindful of my draw does enhance my enjoyment of them. The subjective nature of taste is impossible to apply universally.

Not sure if any of that makes sense... I have to go change a diaper. Can I edit (more) later?

edited for a quick grammer edit

Chris, you bring up an interesting point about Taboada.

That's the year you and Alan drove down, I bought several bundles of the same tobacco he was rolling.

For the first 2 weeks I could not put them down, they were delicious and then BOOM, sick as dogs. The problem is that it is almost 2 years later and although
'they have come out of hospital, that original taste has not yet come back, not even close, will it ever?

Brian

It's all a matter of taste.
If you don't like Cuban cigars, you should smoke something else.
Searching for people to agree with your taste is a good idea ; you can then have a bunch of like-tasters to share views with.

Smoke all the non-Cubans you like and leave the Island smokes to those of us who prefer them.

Commander Bob
No longer with a budget for non-Cuban cigars.

Smoke a wide variety of them, and if you haven't found one you like yet, then don't bother with future prospects of acquisitions. Everyone's approach on cigars is totally different, and for just the enjoyment value, the hype flies out the window, especially since that is more closer to rumor and gossip than it is to personal taste. Attempting to gain products that are outlawed in your country while they still hold almost no feelings of satisfaction for you is a waste of time given the risks involved.

I've smoked a few isoms and ncs here and there, some were good, some not so much. In the big scheme of things, my favorite cigar is still the Padilla Signature 1932, although the ISOM Bolivar and Davidoff Millenium Lancero are coming in as close second and third. In reality, I only look at ISOMs as a cheaper alternative smoke that ranges around $5 for what would be somewhat comparable (satisfaction as a focus) in a US market cigar that would normally go for around $10 in the B&M.

Chris, you bring up an interesting point about Taboada.

That's the year you and Alan drove down, I bought several bundles of the same tobacco he was rolling.

For the first 2 weeks I could not put them down, they were delicious and then BOOM, sick as dogs. The problem is that it is almost 2 years later and although
'they have come out of hospital, that original taste has not yet come back, not even close, will it ever?

Brian

2 years later and they're still <cough> a little sick... ugh. I hope that those glorious flavors return (and that insane nicotine buzz goes away). I was planning on revisiting these suckers at some point later this summer.

I feel lucky that I got bundles when he had an ample supply of leaf. I think the fill on the stuff he rolled at the end of the summer felt a little weak. I did have one of the sticks that seemed to be a little "light" and the amazing thing was even with what felt like less fill, the draw was perfect and the burn was razor-sharp. Go figure, the guy's a Master.