• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Have yet to meet an ISOM that blew me away

wasy

I have to say that I have yet to smoke an ISOM that impressed me. While my experience with them is somewhat limited and I have yet to smoke one with significant age on it I tend to find them very bland. I will say that I am a fan of med./full bodied cigars and again have yet to find an ISOM falls into that category. Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?

I have to say that I have yet to smoke an ISOM that impressed me. While my experience with them is somewhat limited and I have yet to smoke one with significant age on it I tend to find them very bland. I will say that I am a fan of med./full bodied cigars and again have yet to find an ISOM falls into that category. Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?

no - to the question in bold.

Are they worth the hype....is anything worth the hype?
I don't know if they are hyped - or just revered(by those who don't smoke many).
Either way, I started with them within 6 months of smoking cigars.
To me, it's the profile of most of them that I enjoy.

It's like anything else - if you don't like it, don't do it.
You may never like these cigars, you're tastes my be toward another blend.

I have a friend who CANNOT smoke Cameroon without getting ill....any Cameroon.
It just puts him under.

Define medium/full?
What cigar do you smoke right now that has what you are seeking?

<guy's - which question are you answering?>
Are they worth the hype? or Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?

No

Okay Gary, I will expound. Being a novice with ISOM's I can only say that the more experimentation I do with them the more I covet them. I could be completely off here but I have enjoyed the lesser know brands more so than the super "hyped" ones. A BOTL turned me on to the Saint Luis Rey Serie A (thanks Mark) and I love them.....I stumbled on to the El Rey Del Mundo Gran Corona and love it. The Cohibas, R&J, Partagas, etc have been hit & miss.

Slight editing to make a point:

I have to say that I have yet to drink a white wine that impressed me. While my experience with them is somewhat limited and I have yet to drink one with significant age on it I tend to find them very bland. I will say that I am a fan of med./full bodied red wines and again have yet to find a white wine that falls into that category. Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?
....maybe you're a red wine guy?

Point being, in general, an ISOM possesses a unique flavor that some like, and some don't. Of course, try a few more before you throw in the towel, but they may not be up your alley.

Another thought is that if we go back to the wine analogy, it seems you're using a pretty broad brush. Obviously, there are a ton of white wines in different flavors. In this regard, ISOM's are Just like DR or Nicaraguan cigars, there is tremendous variation in taste, construction, strengths, etc. Try a few different marcas and then make up your mind.

FWIW - B.B.S.

There are a few I enjoy very much, BGM/RASS/BBF, but the difficulty in obtaining them has made me shy away from exploring what's out there.

It's been so hit and miss, that I haven't found it's worth the effort.

I find them to be like any other domestic cigar. Some I like, some just aren't worth it. There has only been one cigar that has absolutely wow'd me and that was a cohiba lancero. There are others I really do enjoy as daily smokes (rascc, monte 5's, boli cj's, party shorts) but that cigar was absolutely amazing. I'd say keep on searching...maybe you'll find a few you do like.

I will say that I am a fan of med./full bodied cigars and again have yet to find an ISOM falls into that category.
Romeo y Julieta Cazadores
Trinidad Ingenios
Partagas Shorts
Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas
Cohiba Siglo I
Quintero Brevas
Vegas Robaina Familiars

If you don't like the majority of the above, then maybe this just isn't for you?

Wilkey

Edit: Post number 7,000. Woot!

Trinidad Ingenios
Partagas Shorts
Cohiba Siglo I
Quintero Brevas
Vegas Robaina Familiars

If you don't like the majority of the above, then maybe this just isn't for you?

Wilkey
Let me add:
RASS
SLR Serie A
PLPC
Punch Punch

If none of these float your boat, it's perhaps time to move along..... :whistling:

Edit: Post number 7,000. Woot!

.....wOoT indeed...!!!... :laugh: Congrats, friend Wilkey.... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I would add Bolivar Coronas Extras to that list as well.

Congrats on the milestone Mr. W!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'll keep trying different kinds to see, though...

Bolivar Royal Corona to what Wilkey and Tigger have mentioned.

WTG on the 7K post Wilkey!

It's 2 years ago some day this week that I had my first "Real" cigar, and that was a Monte #1 in Cuba. I don't have nearly the experience most of you guys have, and at times I realize I'm still finding tastes and learning to recognize and appreciate flavours. Right now, I like ISOMs better than I did this time last year. Tops in my humi are Reyes, Ser "D" #4, Monte #5 and RASCC. Do I enjoy them? Yes. Would I take any of 'em over a DCM #5 or a VSG Illusion?? Except for maybe the Reyes, no, I wouldn't.

Maybe next year or the year after my tastes will be refined enough that I can enjoy ISOMs better than most "Domestics", maybe not.

My thoughts:

I may like Edge cigars and you may not. You may like Pepin, and I may not. Maybe ISOMs are like a particular brand, some like 'em and some don't. Can it be as simple as that?

Ive enjoyed Punch Punch that must have had a little age on it because the other Punch Punch that I've tried didn't measure up. I'll give Wilkey's suggestions a try (congrats on 7k!!)

Currently Don Carlos whore and perhaps I'm looking for something in that vein. I'll have to snag a little sampler and let them rest.

Thanks for the input guys.

Currently Don Carlos whore and perhaps I'm looking for something in that vein.

You see, I would not consider most DC's to be 'FULL'.
As I enjoy the cigar and have had my share of them....I just see them as being medium.

It's all in what you like.

Heck - come up to the HERF this weekend, we'll try a few! :thumbs:

Anyone else out there tend to find the forbidden fruit very over rated?

I was lucky? I was gifted a Sig VI with some age on it and I was in the middle converting our company from a UNIX box and dumb terminals to a network based ERP package and I decided to hold on to it until I was done and have it as a victory smoke.

A year and a half later sitting in a campground in Moab Utah I fired up that bad boy. It was amazing, simply amazing. So I bought a box and had another one. It was average at best and I tucked them away. That was a 2004 box bought in late 2005. I had one on New Years and now it's back to amazing. Everyone I've smoked with time on it is the same way, every one. YMMV but I doubt it.

Wilkey, read more and post less! :p j/k

The main differences I tend to find with Cuban and N/Cs are two-fold. First, often people try to compare strength and the body of the cigar in terms of full/medium/light bodied. I have found this very hard to do. For one, there is not really a Cuban cigar I can think of besides the RyJ Cazedore that could be considered powerful, at least to me. On the other hand, there are multitudes of N/Cs that are just that, powerful. I don't think this equates to being full-bodied, however. When I am thinking of how to describe the body of the smoke, I am thinking of depth and "roundness" of the cigar rather than sheer power. Partagas, RA, Bolivar, Linea Classic Cohibas are all full-bodied cigars, but none are powerful like say Opus.

The second difference I have found is there is no real complexity in MOST N/C cigars I have had. Save the Padron Millenium, some aged VSGs, and a handful of well-aged Opus I tend to find zero complexity in N/Cs. Not to say that is bad, as there are many that are very good without being complex. As for Cubans, I find them to be more complex initially and especially with age on them.

Everyone's taste are different; if you haven't found a Cuban cigar that has impressed you yet, no worries. There are plenty of great N/Cs :thumbs:

You see, I would not consider most DC's to be 'FULL'.
As I enjoy the cigar and have had my share of them....I just see them as being medium.

I agree. Personally, I prefer more non cubans over cubans. The best two cuban brands, IMHO, are Bolivar and Partagas. Strong, but not over powering, and the older machine mades are AWESOME and worth the hunt. :thumbs:

Trinidad Ingenios
Partagas Shorts
Cohiba Siglo I
Quintero Brevas
Vegas Robaina Familiars

Sounds good, how much for a sampler?? :whistling:

Congrats on 7k, too.