• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Timer....

EXACTLY MOKI!!! Because of your test with Fyodor, I just have to check it out myself. You can blame a guy for wanting to try!

Well....I have had my first ISOM experience after taking some advice from everyone.

Here is what I ended up purchasing. PSD4, Bolivar PC, Monty PE, & Fonseca Cosacos. All arrived in good condition, albeit a bit moist.
IMG_0064.jpg

I immediately lit up the Bolivar PC after dinner, with a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. I don't think my palette is very refined yet, so I cannot go into much extravagant detail about my experience. I did go into the smoke with as much of an objective thought process as I could, to truly experience the smoke for what it was, not from where it originated.
IMG_0068.jpg

Prelight draw was perfect, with a good grassy taste, and plenty of hearty tobacco flavor.

1st third: A bit punchy at the get go, with plenty of thick smoke, but settled into a very deep tobacco, woody taste towards the end of the first third. Beautiful dark grey ash.
2nd third: Woody flavor intensified, and the punchy spice really had faded. Very smooth smoke at this point.
Last third: Things started to get a little hot for my tastes, but still could taste the sweet grassiness of this smoke. Burn was consistent and relatively straight.

At first impression, I would say that this particular ISOM had a very different, smoother flavor profile, although not mind-blowingly better than a NC. This is my first one, so my thoughts could change after trying the other marcas/vitolas. The one thing I did notice is the finish of the cigar was very mild on the palette. It was full bodied, full flavored, but lacked the definitive aftertaste that I can associate with NCs. My mouth didn't feel like it had smoked a cigar, and the aromas were very pleasing to me. I could feel the effects of the cigar, which is really new to me from such a small vitola! I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience. I am disappointed in one respect however.......I think my wallet may be getting much lighter if things keep up this way!!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I look forward to having many new experiences in the future!

~Billy

My first ISOM just so happened to be this very same cigar a few days back. It was tasty, but I was really cold and I think that might have detracted from my ability to analyze anything I was tasting. My only description is that it was definitely pleasant :thumbs:

Great post, I was about to ask the same exact question but glad I stumbled upon this thread.... so as long as I'm here... say.. HYPOTHETICALLY :rolleyes: I wanted to try some Cubans as a newby which kind would you get for someone that enjoys RP Vintage, Cohiba Blacks, and LFD chisels... but not as strong as a chisel.... I hear that some taste like ice cream or smoothies... which one's are those... just curious....

Great post, I was about to ask the same exact question but glad I stumbled upon this thread.... so as long as I'm here... say.. HYPOTHETICALLY :rolleyes: I wanted to try some Cubans as a newby which kind would you get for someone that enjoys RP Vintage, Cohiba Blacks, and LFD chisels... but not as strong as a chisel.... I hear that some taste like ice cream or smoothies... which one's are those... just curious....

Cohibas, at their best (AT LEAST five years age, preferably more), can taste just like, as one noted cigar author put it, "sipping a vanilla milkshake while walking through a freshly-cut lawn on a midsummer evening."

As ridiculously poetic as all that may sound, I have gotten much the same impression from well-aged Esplendidos. :laugh:

And I'm sure that I don't have to tell you how expensive Cohibas are, and while they are worth it if you can find them aged or have enough patience to do it yourself, I wouldn't recommended a newb blow a week's salary on a box. :laugh:

If you like stronger cigars, Partagas and Bolivar are the way to go! Bolivars, to my taste buds, often remind me of wood, hot peppers, and a drizzle of honey. And they aren't too expensive, compared to other Cuban brands, either.

Most Cuban brands, to me at least, aren't the nicotine power-monsters that some writers make them out to be. Some sizes of Partagas can be super-strong, but most balance out that strength with tons of flavor and finesse, so it's never overwhelmingly strong. It's usually juuuuuuust right!

Sounds good, will have to check that out, and would have to buy some just to age them but sounds like it's worth it.