• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

theorangeman

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge. I've decided to make my first purchase (in the states) for some ISOM's. :) Couple quick questions (since I'm a newbie when it comes to cubans and ordering them). I assume that the list of Reputable Online Cigar Retailers is all that I need to know. That is, if I choose from one of these retailers, I will be well taken care of? I'm not asking about any of the sources specifically (as I no that's a no-no), but just generally speaking, is my assumption right or should I really do more homework before buying?

Now on to the smokes...

I really prefer med. bodied smokes (and am willing to store 'em away for a year or two if need be). Based on my research, having never tried either, it seems that Punch Punch and H. Upmann Mag 46 are the two I'm going with. Perhaps after Christmas I'll pick up some Cohiba VI. Since the Punch and H. Upmann are relatively short smokes, I want an ISOM that I can enjoy for a longer period of time (something like 6 x 54), which is why I think I'll probably go with the Cohiba. I'm also tempted to try a Monte #2 (but that may have to wait for a while).

Congratulations on taking the plunge, but be prepared to start obsessing your 2nd, 3rd, 4th box, and so forth. Might want to put PSP#2 on your list too. A great medium bodied cigar. I'm working on my second box and every single one that I've smoked has been top notch in both construction and taste. Can't go wrong with the Mag46 as it has been a very consistent smoke for me. The Punch Punch has been a mixed bag for me. The best cigar I've ever smoked was a Punch Punch, but I've gone through half a box to try to replicate that same taste to no avail. If you want a longer cigar, give either the Lusitanias or the HDM DC a try. The Lusitanias are a fuller medium bodied smoke and with a couple of years of age on them, are truly fantastic. If you want something that you can smoke now and get better with age, the HDM DC is a good choice. A light to medium bodied smoke that has wonderful tastes and stays even throughout. As for the Cohiba Siglo VI, I'm more partial to the Trinidad Robusto Extra. Same size, but I find that the flavors are smoother and less harsh when young.

I've never dealt with any of the retailers on the list, but IMO, if they're affilitiated with this board, then you should be fine.

id probably go with the monte #2. its a good 1 hour smoke that gets alot smoother with 6-12 months on it. and its one of the most consistant isoms ive had.

Hey Orangeman, please let me know how you make out, I am considering a 1st order sometime soon and have the exact same questions you have.

BEST OF LUCK! :)

Strayvector said:
Congratulations on taking the plunge, but be prepared to start obsessing your 2nd, 3rd, 4th box, and so forth. Might want to put PSP#2 on your list too. A great medium bodied cigar. I'm working on my second box and every single one that I've smoked has been top notch in both construction and taste. Can't go wrong with the Mag46 as it has been a very consistent smoke for me. The Punch Punch has been a mixed bag for me. The best cigar I've ever smoked was a Punch Punch, but I've gone through half a box to try to replicate that same taste to no avail. If you want a longer cigar, give either the Lusitanias or the HDM DC a try. The Lusitanias are a fuller medium bodied smoke and with a couple of years of age on them, are truly fantastic. If you want something that you can smoke now and get better with age, the HDM DC is a good choice. A light to medium bodied smoke that has wonderful tastes and stays even throughout. As for the Cohiba Siglo VI, I'm more partial to the Trinidad Robusto Extra. Same size, but I find that the flavors are smoother and less harsh when young.

I've never dealt with any of the retailers on the list, but IMO, if they're affilitiated with this board, then you should be fine.
[snapback]249578[/snapback]​

:laugh: I've already begun doing that!! I was thinking about that this morning.. "what should I get after christmas?" Man, I've got to get a grip :)

By the way, thanks for the suggestions above - I'll consider those as well.

Hey Brew - do you have anything specific in mind? Next month I'm thinking about proposing a group buy. Since I'm going to go with the Punch Punch and H.Upmann 46, I want something of bigger size (for a longer smoke). It doesn't have to a Cohiba - I'm pretty open to suggestions since I haven't ventured into the world of ISOM's - just as long as it's med. bodied. I'm going to toss around the group buy idea, and will let you know when I decide to move forward on it. I might even buy 2 or 3 boxes and have sort of a sampler split. We'll see... :)

theorangeman said:
Hey Brew - do you have anything specific in mind? Next month I'm thinking about proposing a group buy. Since I'm going to go with the Punch Punch and H.Upmann 46, I want something of bigger size (for a longer smoke). It doesn't have to a Cohiba - I'm pretty open to suggestions since I haven't ventured into the world of ISOM's - just as long as it's med. bodied. I'm going to toss around the group buy idea, and will let you know when I decide to move forward on it. I might even buy 2 or 3 boxes and have sort of a sampler split. We'll see... :)
[snapback]249610[/snapback]​

PM sent...

Dont get the punch punch.. too blah..
try the Punch RS#11 as a better alternative to the punch punch. its basically the same size a bit cheaper and much better.

Well, I officially took the plunge tonight and bought a box of Punch Punch. After Christmas, I'm going to order a box of the H.Upmann Mag 46's. I plan to hide these two boxes in the bottom of my humi and forget about them for a couple of years. It would be nice to get a box which I can smoke a little sooner though!

Now, for next month, what should I buy? :whistling:

Monte #2
Cohiba IV
Cohiba VI

I'll probably put together a box split in the next week or two for a box of the above (or perhaps something else - I'm open to suggestions). :)

I would say the Punchs are the best of the ones you mentioned without age. The 46's are not bad young but I find them to be too tight, only in cigars are young and tight a bad thing. The Siglo IVs are a bit grassy without age but are not harsh. The same with the VI's but they don't come around as quick, I assume. I had some from the original release and although they were great I think they need a little longer to reach full potential.

Tonight I smoked a mag 46 from may 05...definately not ready, I'll check the rest out in 6 months.

I like the Punch Punch, I think it's a good choice. Good luck trying to let these sit for a while, I know I can't do it. :whistling:

Gregor

I was also thinking about ordering a some cigars from the reputable retailers list we have here. Hope everything works out for you.

Punch Punch is a great choice. You might also want to try SLR Serie A for another good CG. While Cohibas are a great smoke they're just way overpriced in my opinion. Plenty of other great smokes out there for a lot less money. For a larger smoke try Upmann Monarchs. Without the tube they can be had for a good price from the right source.

Yeah, I think my next box will be Montes #2. I might order another box as well, hmmmm.... what else should I get :rolleyes:

Agree with Alex on the Punch Punch they aren't that great. IMHO The SLR series A from 03 are great. I almost got those in my group buy but still have 6 left. Also look into the Rass they are good from fresh to about 4 or 5 months then they get bitter and nasty. At about 8 months they start to become a great smoke. And they are cheap about a buck seventy for a box

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam...

As you may or may not know, discussing the purchase, shipment or method of delivery of ISOM's is a no-no. The easiest way to take down the sources is to openly discuss it in a cigar forum. Customs only has to monitor a board like this to start making seizures of shipments based on pieces of information floating around here. "Loose lips sink ships...."

Additionally, you're potentially exposing Rod to problems with the feds. If this board does openly discuss these issues, they may likely shut this place down, or have a "heart to heart" with him. Either way - potentially unpleasant.

It's in everyone's best interest not to discuss anything related to the purchase of ISOM's except via PM or e-mail. And if I were you, I would want to trust the other person before having a frank discussion... ;)

You're organizing group buys but have never bought them before? :0

This oughta be good......

Status
Not open for further replies.