• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

fake or not fake, that is the question

Ok, so You give it 50/50 and a plus for squares.
I'll also give it a plus because I know its purchased from the official Polish Habanos disti.
So I have about 80% its an original Cohiba.
And that's why I'll be smoking it as an original one. :)

Thanks for help. :)

I'll also give it a plus because I know its purchased from the official Polish Habanos disti.

Michal,

That's fine. Enjoy!

Now you might get a sense for why making a determination of authenticity or inauthenticity is so difficult. Almost everything can vary and nobody really has a good sense of how much variation is within the bounds of acceptability. This is why I approach any challenge of authentication with great skepticism not only of the cigar, but of my own ability to correctly divine whether it is authentic or counterfeit.

Wilkey

Hi Michal

First of all I would like to say the scanned version of the label appears to be much better in terms of the lettering and square boxes......Wilkey was right on the money.......Wilkey has much more knowledge of the photo process than I.......Nice call Wilkey.......I also agree that the gold box surrounding the gold lettering is thin........Wilkey is correct in stating that there is always some variation in the printing process......in Statistics it is known as standard deviation........In order to to evaluated with 100% certainty whether the cigar and band is real or fake it would require the evaluation of many different lots of labels and over a long period of time to understand what the variation limits are........Most fake bands are easly spotted.......This band is of much higher quality (if in fact it is fake). This band requires a first hand look.....Not a picture.......The deciding factor may come down to just smoking it........If you are familiar with cohiba"s you will know right away........If not, you may want to let someone authenticate the flavor for you.........

Bob

Let's hope that if you are in the market for CoRo's in the near future that you decide to buy them from a reputable source. :whistling:

That's fine. Enjoy!
I will! :)

Hi Michal

First of all I would like to say the scanned version of the label appears to be much better in terms of the lettering and square boxes......Wilkey was right on the money.......Wilkey has much more knowledge of the photo process than I.......Nice call Wilkey.......I also agree that the gold box surrounding the gold lettering is thin........Wilkey is correct in stating that there is always some variation in the printing process......in Statistics it is known as standard deviation........In order to to evaluated with 100% certainty whether the cigar and band is real or fake it would require the evaluation of many different lots of labels and over a long period of time to understand what the variation limits are........Most fake bands are easly spotted.......This band is of much higher quality (if in fact it is fake). This band requires a first hand look.....Not a picture.......The deciding factor may come down to just smoking it........If you are familiar with cohiba"s you will know right away........If not, you may want to let someone authenticate the flavor for you.........

Bob
So if most of fake cohiba bands are easy to spot, that looks like I just made some unnecessary affair with it. Every, even 100% original band can have some unusuall details, and even our 100% trusted seller can sometimes purchase fakes from his trusted seller.
I think that if evidences are clear and says that I have a fake in my hand than this is the moment when I can be sad, but if its as small detail as now (thin line) then investigation is not necessary. Cigar is a cigar :)

but... unfortunatelly I'm not familiar with Cohibas already, so I will not be able to detect its originality.
And if I had more of them than only one I would use your advice and give one to someone to smoke it. :)

Let's hope that if you are in the market for CoRo's in the near future that you decide to buy them from a reputable source. :whistling:
Don't worry Rob, thel'll be fine. :)

Michal,

That's fine. Enjoy!

Now you might get a sense for why making a determination of authenticity or inauthenticity is so difficult. Almost everything can vary and nobody really has a good sense of how much variation is within the bounds of acceptability. This is why I approach any challenge of authentication with great skepticism not only of the cigar, but of my own ability to correctly divine whether it is authentic or counterfeit.

Wilkey

Here is a question. Is there a traffic in real Cohiba or Cuban bands?

Michal;

There is one more, important piece of evidence - your testimony or "review". Did it taste authentic? Have you had a "known" authentic before to be able to compare and contrast the taste? You should be able to up the confidence quite a bit if you can supply this puzzle piece. ;)

Steve

Me be not understanding question your uga uga!

Michal;

There is one more, important piece of evidence - your testimony or "review". Did it taste authentic? Have you had a "known" authentic before to be able to compare and contrast the taste? You should be able to up the confidence quite a bit if you can supply this puzzle piece. ;)

Steve
Like I wrote it somehere in this topic (I think)
I have naver smoked Cohiba before, so I will not be able to do a proper "taste review" and find out if its an autentic one :)
And if I had more of them than one, I would send it to some Cohiba-Expert-Guy for tests. :)

But... I'll keep this one till spring and then buy some Cohibas and then will make a taste test. :)

SJM,

What do you mean by "traffic?" If you are asking if counterfeiters obtain genuine bands from the Habanos contracted producer I would have to say probably not. I'm going to speculate that this route does not account for a significant portion of fakes that we see. However, I cannot rule out the possibility that some bands found on fakes do indeed come from this source.

Given the volume of fakes we see, it's more likely that the big counterfeiters are contracting with their own sources for everything from the leaf to the stickers on the box.

Wilkey

Uf... I thought I am the only person who understands the 'traffic' word like that :p

2027856.jpg

After all, I think Wilkey found your point.
And I think that its more probably that fake cigars also has fake bands.

Uf... I thought I am the only person who understands the 'traffic' word like that :p
2027856.jpg
Oh, I certainly understand that traffic. I commuted the loop around Boston for almost four years. How about a 170 mile, 3.5-4 hour round trip commute every day. Yes, it got pretty old near the end.

Wilkey