• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Experienced Cohiba Smokers, Opions Please

At the least the guy is facilitating SOME kind of discussion. Unless it's a brand-new cigar brand, everything has been discussed here in some capacity or another.

We need more discussion in here anyway...it's been pretty dead in here since OFAC has made us all paranoid. All I ever see in here anymore is "Is this box fake?" or "Is this stick a counterfeit?" threads, very few threads about ENJOYING the good leaf. :(

No one is saying not to facilitate a discussion about Cohiba's and that was not my intent. My intent is for the individual to understand that there is much information to digest out there already. Now the statement about arranging a group buy brothers me as the admission is that he is new to cigars. Why would I let someone that is new to cigars and CP get caught out there?

If he were to search on the numerous threads he could then ask questions pertaining to taste profiles and such. He would also understand the issue involving trusting your source and by reading the OFAC thread educate himself on the perils that others have faced.

Dialogue is always encouraged, we all can learn from each other. But when you look at most of the postings lately, they are so superficial that we tend to meet them with the classic "read more, post less". It is not meant to be a form of chastisement but a leg up on the wealth that is Cigar Pass!

Dialogue is always encouraged, we all can learn from each other. But when you look at most of the postings lately, they are so superficial that we tend to meet them with the classic "read more, post less". It is not meant to be a form of chastisement but a leg up on the wealth that is Cigar Pass!
Well said, my friend. Gracious and well said. :thumbs:

Wilkey

At the least the guy is facilitating SOME kind of discussion. Unless it's a brand-new cigar brand, everything has been discussed here in some capacity or another.

We need more discussion in here anyway...it's been pretty dead in here since OFAC has made us all paranoid. All I ever see in here anymore is "Is this box fake?" or "Is this stick a counterfeit?" threads, very few threads about ENJOYING the good leaf. :(

No one is saying not to facilitate a discussion about Cohiba's and that was not my intent. My intent is for the individual to understand that there is much information to digest out there already. Now the statement about arranging a group buy brothers me as the admission is that he is new to cigars. Why would I let someone that is new to cigars and CP get caught out there?

If he were to search on the numerous threads he could then ask questions pertaining to taste profiles and such. He would also understand the issue involving trusting your source and by reading the OFAC thread educate himself on the perils that others have faced.

The fact that I mearly asked a question about peoples likes and dislikes on various ISOM's I don't think is a bad thing by any means. Before posting this this thread, I did read the 4 page Cohiba review thread that was linked to in here as well as the OFAC thread. I didn't know saying I was doing a group buy with a couple of buddies was a bad thing. As far as trusting sources, I never asked anyone for a source, or even talked about a source. We all have our own sources and I respect that. I know that it is by no means acceptable to talk about sources openly, or even in private matters at times.

If I offended people with this thread, I'm sorry. I just wanted to hear some peoples opinons, maybe ones that hadn't been stated in the threads I had already read. But to assume that because I just joined this board that I didn't read anything is not right. I thank you for your input and advice and I will defenitly take it for what it is.

I will let this thread die now.

Personally, I prefer the Exquisito for its concentrated espresso character. This is followed by the Siglo I, a power-packed little firecracker that is perhaps too strong for you based on your earlier comment. In that case, step to the Siglo II or III. I have not really had a good Robusto and as you stated, the Esplendidos are just godawful expensive. The Coronas Especiales are a fine, dense smoke that I enjoy. I really like the size. The tiny Panetelas are fantastic but require good technique to get the most out of.

As far as Montes, recent vintage No. 3 and No. 4 are really, really nice. Monte 2 from 06 are generally excellent as well but the sense is that these are highly variable in quality. I love the tiny Monte Joyitas and they are a more than passable stand in for the same sized but much more expensive Co Pans.

Remember, this is only one man's opinion. Best of luck on your explorations!

Wilkey

Personally, I prefer the Exquisito for its concentrated espresso character. This is followed by the Siglo I, a power-packed little firecracker that is perhaps too strong for you based on your earlier comment. In that case, step to the Siglo II or III. I have not really had a good Robusto and as you stated, the Esplendidos are just godawful expensive. The Coronas Especiales are a fine, dense smoke that I enjoy. I really like the size. The tiny Panetelas are fantastic but require good technique to get the most out of.

As far as Montes, recent vintage No. 3 and No. 4 are really, really nice. Monte 2 from 06 are generally excellent as well but the sense is that these are highly variable in quality. I love the tiny Monte Joyitas and they are a more than passable stand in for the same sized but much more expensive Co Pans.

Remember, this is only one man's opinion. Best of luck on your explorations!

Wilkey

Thanks for your input Wilkey. I will definitly note your opinions. I'm more just collecting information now than anything. I would really like to find some stateside purchasable smokes before I even try to get into Habanos. Everytime I'm out and around cigars I find myself just asking the people around me what they like and picking up one of whatever they recommend. Eventually I'm going to get my tastes to what I like and dislike and then go down the line to more complex and sometimes better ISOM's.

No worries.

Oh, the Monte Petit Edmundos are a cool new smoke in a chunky size. I've had quite tasty specimens but one or two that sort delivered just hot air. A loose draw on a short fat stick is a bad place to be.

Wilkey

I'll give you an honest opinion, as the majority of Cohiba whores are... well, Cohiba whores, and will usually swear by them. I prefer others, not because of the price (well, cost certainly has a strong impact) but whenever I reach for such a flagship cigar such as Cohiba and pay through the nose or at least know the price point of these popular Cohiba cigars, my expectations drop through the floor in preparation of surprising myself with a great enjoyment from light to nub. Unfortunately no Cohiba I had left me starving for more.

It's just not my kind of cigar, and others such as Partagas, Bolivars, Juan Lopez, and San Cristobal de la Habana left me with greater satisfaction at a lower price point. Palates do change, and maybe I will enjoy them in the future and others not so much, I am a "in the moment" kind of guy. Someone told me "it's hit or miss, I buy a box of Cohibas and smoke them through, and most of them aren't impressive, but when I get to the 25th one in that box that actually blows my socks off, it's a great cigar." Sadly, I don't plan on smoking 24 cigars just to get that one benchmark.

Hopefully with your sampler you'll get something out of it from a variety of different models and such. For those of you who covet the Cohiba, you can have them. There are just so many other great cigars out there for me than to be focused on one disappointing brand.

I'll give you an honest opinion, as the majority of Cohiba whores are... well, Cohiba whores, and will usually swear by them. I prefer others, not because of the price (well, cost certainly has a strong impact) but whenever I reach for such a flagship cigar such as Cohiba and pay through the nose or at least know the price point of these popular Cohiba cigars, my expectations drop through the floor in preparation of surprising myself with a great enjoyment from light to nub. Unfortunately no Cohiba I had left me starving for more.

It's just not my kind of cigar, and others such as Partagas, Bolivars, Juan Lopez, and San Cristobal de la Habana left me with greater satisfaction at a lower price point. Palates do change, and maybe I will enjoy them in the future and others not so much, I am a "in the moment" kind of guy. Someone told me "it's hit or miss, I buy a box of Cohibas and smoke them through, and most of them aren't impressive, but when I get to the 25th one in that box that actually blows my socks off, it's a great cigar." Sadly, I don't plan on smoking 24 cigars just to get that one benchmark.

Hopefully with your sampler you'll get something out of it from a variety of different models and such. For those of you who covet the Cohiba, you can have them. There are just so many other great cigars out there for me than to be focused on one disappointing brand.

Thanks for your input Dave. Would you care to PM me with some of your favorite cigars that fit within or below the Cohiba price range (considering how expensive Cohiba's are at times, I'm sure there are a lot, but I'm looking for your FAVORITES)? Like I said, I'm taking constant notes in a spreadsheet and literally buying almost everything (within reason) that people recommend so that I can try out people's favorites. I've received a good recommendation of Cohiba's from people and have picked up a sampler of those. At this point I'm looking for people's favorites in both non-Cubans and more value based but sometimes "better" Cubans. Any input you could provide me with would be wonderful. I've pretty much exceeded my budget for the next 2-3 months as I've been buying so many things, mainly because I've been forced to buy at least 5 packs of each cigar that people recommend, however, I figure if I overspend now, in the future I will know what I like and dislike and will be able to begin to buy and stock up on my favorites. Regardless, it's been a great, and at times expensive experience and hobby, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a good amount of smoking to do coming up in the next couple months, and hopefully much more in the future!!

I currently have at least one or more sticks of the following (Torano (got a sampler), Opus X, Cohiba (Siglo III, IV, V, VI), CAO Sopranos (got Boss, Associate, Soldier, and Tony at a tasting) Bolivar, Tinidad, Gurkha, Montecristo (non-Cuban), and a couple others). Right now I'm sitting on about 30-40 or so sticks and I have a 100 count humidor that I just looking to fill with more!

Once again I thank everyone for their helpful input. I look forward to being a contributing member of this forum for long times to come!

CHEERS!

Only snobs who must have the most expensive Havanas in their humidors are Cohiba whores. Bunch of vacuous idiots if you ask me.

Only snobs who must have the most expensive Havanas in their humidors are Cohiba whores. Bunch of vacuous idiots if you ask me.
Craig,

If I didn't know how enamored you are of these overpriced, shoddily made, poseur sticks, I might think you were serious. ;)

Wilkey

IanHummel

i still read every "i just smoked my first ISOM' and "i just smoked my first RASS"thread than gets posted.i let most threads run their course and if i have something to add(about cigars)i do.otherwise i dont post much.

if i didnt i would never have met most of the people that i have gotten to be good friends with over the years.

it seems some people dont like to be asked for the 700th time "real or fake"and can be a bit testy about it.

all i can say is...soldier on...you are welcome here.

now about cigars...

my favorite siglos(and my favorite cohibas)...in order of my favs...sigloII , sigloI , sigloIII

my favorite monties...in order of the ones i smoke most of...#4 , especial , #5

if you are wondering at all...i dont smoke very many large cigars(nothing to to with cost it is just 42rg is the right size for me)...so take my reply with a grain of salt.

derrek :)

IanHummel

i still read every "i just smoked my first ISOM' and "i just smoked my first RASS"thread than gets posted.i let most threads run their course and if i have something to add(about cigars)i do.otherwise i dont post much.

if i didnt i would never have met most of the people that i have gotten to be good friends with over the years.

it seems some people dont like to be asked for the 700th time "real or fake"and can be a bit testy about it.

all i can say is...soldier on...you are welcome here.

now about cigars...

my favorite siglos(and my favorite cohibas)...in order of my favs...sigloII , sigloI , sigloIII

my favorite monties...in order of the ones i smoke most of...#4 , especial , #5

if you are wondering at all...i dont smoke very many large cigars(nothing to to with cost it is just 42rg is the right size for me)...so take my reply with a grain of salt.

derrek :)

Thanks for the input Derrek! I slowly putting together various smokes for my humidor with everyones advice.