• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cheap humidors

Gator

Ebay has tons of humidors, cheap. Anyone ever used these cheapo's?

Think i'd be better off to build a coolidor, they sound easy enough, just not sure what's best for the cigars. I don't have much more than 150 cigars to store, but i have some i want to age for 6 mths to 1 yr (how in the world do you lay off of really good cigars for that time ??? )

I would say coolidor - Believe it or not, a 300 count humi will be filled in no time - Also, the 300 count humi hold around 170 sticks - You will need the space - build bigger.

I would say coolidor - Believe it or not, a 300 count humi will be filled in no time - Also, the 300 count humi hold around 170 sticks - You will need the space - build bigger.

Cookie is right. I filled my 200 count humi in a month.

I bought a 120 quart cooler from Walmart and have 6-7 boxes resting comfortably therein...and I have room to store more.

A pound of beads, a salt tested hygro and the cooler...about $80.

I prefer the look of a nice humidor but fully understand the price and size efficiency of a cooler.

However a word of warning . . . .

I have heard some horror stories regarding the humidors sold on ebay. There was some discussion on this topic a while ago here and if I recall some very nice "looking" humidors were purchased on ebay only to find out that they were cheap knock-offs lined with pine or some other cheap wood - definately NOT Spanish Cedar. Try the search feature here and you should be able to find the threads that discussed this.

If you are not the type to go for the cooler and would like a nice humidor that won't break the bank you should try CheapHumidors.com. They are good people and have great customer service. The good news that as of today (when I grabbed the link) they are having a Humidor Sale!

Good luck!

believe i'll go the cooler route, i have 2 desktops already.

where does one get spanish cedar, is that a commonly used wood?

thanks

No need to line it with the Spanish Cedar. The boxes will take care of that.

This is what mine looked like....

IMG_3377.jpg

Take the handle off of one side, I used door stops to help level mine..

IMG_4323.jpg

I also found that the Marine coolers are squarer as where the regular coolers are more rounded

Good Luck !!

Cheap humidors on Ebay are exactly that. I bought a 300 count that was an absolute piece of sh!t. The only spanish cedar in it was the tray, and that was questionable at best. I was going to give it to my girlfriend's brother as something for him just to have, but the thing grew mold in two weeks using the green foam humidifiers it came with (he wasn't getting my beads). I wrote this off to the wood used not absorbing the moisture. Don't buy cheap ebay humidors.

Also, definitely go bigger than you think you need. I filled up a 300 count in two months.

Cheap humidors on Ebay are exactly that. I bought a 300 count that was an absolute piece of sh!t. The only spanish cedar in it was the tray, and that was questionable at best. I was going to give it to my girlfriend's brother as something for him just to have, but the thing grew mold in two weeks using the green foam humidifiers it came with (he wasn't getting my beads). I wrote this off to the wood used not absorbing the moisture. Don't buy cheap ebay humidors.

Also, definitely go bigger than you think you need. I filled up a 300 count in two months.

I also had the unfortunate luck of buying one on eBay that the seller was claimed with Spanish Cedar. Well, that was not the case. Ended up buying my replacement from Holt's aging room, which is a great resource. I see myself going in the coolerdor route in the next couple months, but it will always be nice to have a desktop to hold single sticks. Plus, I paid $50 for the XL Savoy humidor from the Aging room, which is a steal in my mind.

No need to line it with the Spanish Cedar. The boxes will take care of that.....
X2.... :thumbs:

I have a nice desktop ( This one from Cheap Humidors ) and three coolers.... :whistling: If you start up a cooler, IMHO lining it with cedar is a waste of space. I have piled my three coolers full of boxes and they work fantastically. I've got enough empty boxes that storing singles isn't an issue. Get hooked up with a pound of beads and a hygrometer from Viper and you will be seriously good to go.

When you start up your cooler, I found that bubble wrap works great to fill up some of the empty space so the hydration media works better. Won't take long to fill the first one, trust me..... :laugh:

Regards - B.B.S.

I too think you'll need both a desk top humi and a cooler.

You'll always buy a single stick here and there just for trying different stuff. For this and your day to day smokes you'll need a desk top that looks nice on top of an end table or whatever.

At some point you will get like me and have a favorite 6 or 8 sticks and want to buy them by the box. You'll soon tire of paying the markup for singles and get frustrated with the level of care (ie humidity control etc) that some B&Ms show there stock. You'll need a cooler then as its a space issue. Plus many sticks benefit from rest under steady state conditions that you can control in a cooler. You just cant get that from a B&M.

I say get a nice desk top from Cheap Humidors and then narrow down what your favorites are and then break out and get a cooler later. It took me a year or two to get a favorites list long enough to justify a cooler.

Like the others... I would get both, a cooler, and a desktop. I have both, and I'm glad I do!
I would check here for a desktop. Pretty good deal IMO!

Holts has some humidors in their aging room right now.

Still see a large and some mediums available. Act fast because they don't last long.

I agree, desktop with a cooler to get started... You will need a spot for those singles.

i'm on the final phase of the coolidor 'building', and got a couple desktops, so i'm good to go :thumbs:

thanks for all your help, this is a really cool board :D

I have two humidors and recently started using a cooler also. I really like the cooler idea now, especially storing the cigars in their original boxes. A cooler is really easy, buy a new one, wash it, put in some beads and fill her up! You don't need to line it with Spanish cedar because the cigars are in their boxes. In a few days your cooler will smell like pure tobacco heaven when you open it up. It's probably nice to have a desktop humidor for a dry box, holding the cigars you will smoke in the next month or two... this way you don't have to dig in the cooler every time you want a cigar.

Ah I can breath a sigh of relief! Thanks for dispelling the e-bay alternative as i'd been skeptical but now am not going to even bother. In a month or two i'll be doing the coolerador route.