• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Butane lighters acting up

JoeGibs

I’ve had issues with every butane lighter I’ve had. Given they’ve all been on the cheaper end, seems strange that they’ve all died out on me. My most reliable one is a zippo insert that fits in the standard zippo lighter case. But now that one’s been acting up too. Is there some maintenance that I’m supposed to be doing on them? Are the more expensive ones worth investing in? Or will they also crap out on me after a while?

Joe, there are a number of things that may help. Plus, check out the link below, these have become my favorite lighter, I like to slowly toast the entire foot and this pin-point torch does it nicely. They hold a ton of fuel and you can always see the fuel level so you never end up trying an empty lighter.

On to some things you can try:
  1. Make sure you don't use your lighters for anything other than cigars, I ruined several by lighting fireworks, candles, fire starters, etc. The jets can get clogged from the impurities put off by other stuff.
  2. If you have air in a can, or an air compressor, blow out the jets, or just blow on it.
  3. Make sure you bleed "all" pressure before you refill. Do it over and over and finally bleed it with the valve pointing down.
  4. This one, I'm not sure I believe, but this is what I've been told. Set the lighter on the lowest setting before you refill it.

Awesome lighters

When mine act up, I blunt a toothpick and use it to depress the fill valve and empty the lighter. Then refill. Ya might have to wait a bit after the refill because that **** is cold.

Last edited:
I'll add that I clean the heads with alcohol to clear out all the gunk. Followed by the air blast and bleed the lighter.

Excellent! I had no idea you were supposed to run them dry before refilling. The fuel I’ve been using is Lotus, don’t remember where I got it. Is there a go-to fuel I should be using? I’ll clean up my dead lighters and see if I can get them running again. Thanks guys

Excellent! I had no idea you were supposed to run them dry before refilling. The fuel I’ve been using is Lotus, don’t remember where I got it. Is there a go-to fuel I should be using? I’ll clean up my dead lighters and see if I can get them running again. Thanks guys
Like Kevin @PuffTheMagicDragon said, it isn't necessary to bleed it every time, But I do it just because it's simple once it gets empty. The issue is that your lighter may not have fuel left in it but may still have pressure built up. This excess pressure prevents the lighter from filling and working properly. It makes life so much easier if you can see the actual fuel level.

Lotus is fine, I buy whatever is the best deal on Amazon but the key is that it must be highly filtered.

Butane link

I’ve had issues with every butane lighter I’ve had. Given they’ve all been on the cheaper end, seems strange that they’ve all died out on me. My most reliable one is a zippo insert that fits in the standard zippo lighter case. But now that one’s been acting up too. Is there some maintenance that I’m supposed to be doing on them? Are the more expensive ones worth investing in? Or will they also crap out on me after a while?
Define acting up.

Staying out past curfew
Failing classes
Sleeping around with matchsticks

Hanging a paper clip and tail on the English teachers dress belt

Drinking dads whiskey and replacing it with water

Moving the school bus while the driver was talking to the principal

Skipping school .... for a week

Last edited:
Smart asses lol. I bled the fuel out of the two lighters I have and blew them out with my air compressor. The zippo is working perfectly again. The cheap triple torch from Amazon worked right after refilling, but is again not working. By acting up I mean will ignite but immediately go out.

I’ll just order some of the ones Jeff linked to and toss them when they start getting finicky. Do you guys keep a cheap bic lighter around just in case? Those things will outlast cockroaches after a nuclear war

Reactions: MX
Smart asses lol. I bled the fuel out of the two lighters I have and blew them out with my air compressor. The zippo is working perfectly again. The cheap triple torch from Amazon worked right after refilling, but is again not working. By acting up I mean will ignite but immediately go out.

I’ll just order some of the ones Jeff linked to and toss them when they start getting finicky. Do you guys keep a cheap bic lighter around just in case? Those things will outlast cockroaches after a nuclear war
They usually won't work immediately after filling because the butane is too cold. Try letting the triple rest for a while and then adjusting the flame?

I keep one of the ones I sent you the link to rather than a bic. For $2 a piece they can be kept anywhere. Golf bag, car, man cave, etc.

I keep these around
LINK THING
at $5 per, I just check once a month that they have fuel and light, and move on...

also, they look like baby Lightsabers...
1718138826717.png