• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box Clasps

Hiya wurm,

the link you gave was for hinges. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought we were talking about clasps (the locking mechanism).

Cheers

Wow, that is interesting. And we have lots of reports of authentic cigars with Italian clasps. Four possibilities I see, then:

1) All purported Cubans with Italian clasps are fakes
2) The Cuban government is not to be trusted, and sometimes sources clasps from another company, despite it's contracts
3) The Cigar Journal information is incorrect
4) Schmale sometimes outsources production to Italy, but is still the supplier to Habanos SA

KevPriest

I am a newbie,

I am prepared to send a couple of sticks to a reputable brother, or even better a FOG, preferably in a country that allows cubans, of 8-9-8 Partagas (1996) with a "made in italy" clasp, to settle the issue. :)

Fascinating stuff guys.

The cigar box clasp (also called the brooch) looks like it would be in the third main category. While some do look like that, the Partagas brooches have a medallion on the front part that flips up.

The fourth category, slide locks, looks like the kind they use on full-Boite Natural cabinets, such as found on H. Upmann Sir WInstons.

Wilkey

MidGe said:
I am a newbie,

I am prepared to send a couple of sticks to a reputable brother, or even better a FOG, preferably in a country that allows cubans, of 8-9-8 Partagas (1996) with a "made in italy" clasp, to settle the issue. :)
[snapback]276483[/snapback]​

I would be willing to do it, and can do a comparison between them and ones from a German vendor.

I'll also make sure you receive cigars to replace the ones you send. :)

Ginseng,

Regarding Partagas medallions. You are quite right. Very distinctive too.

Cheers.

Just wanted to add an update... looked at a few cuban boxes tonight, all of the clasps were German made by Schmale .

Went to the local B&M yesterday, all the wooden cuban boxes she had (12 total) had clasps made by Schmale. I'm going to send Schmale an email today and ask them about the Italian clasps. This is getting interesting :cool:

Just in case someone wants to compile a dateline, my Trinidads I just got from ABR 00 have a schmale clasp.

Didn't receive an email back from Schmale, I'm going to send another, it could be I got caught up in the spam filter.

Here is a copy of the email I sent,

Hallo,

Mein Name ist Shawn Adams und ich bin ein Mitglied eines der größten Zigarrenforums im Internet. Wir haben eine Diskussion, bezüglich unechter Kubanischer Zigarren und ich wurde darum gebeten, ihre Firma, bezüglich der von ihnen hergestellten Schachtelverschlüsse, zu kontaktieren.

Gemäß des beigefügtem Habanos Zigarrenjournals ist ihre Firma der einzige Hersteller von Schachtelverschlüssen. Nichts desto trotz sagen viele unsere Mitglieder, dass sie echte Kubanische Zigarren in Schachteln mit Verschlüssen haben, die in Italien hergestellt wurden.

Wir hoffen, dass sie uns bei der Aufklärung dieser Angelegenheit helfen können.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Shawn Adams

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the english translation...

Hello,

My name is Shawn Adams and I am a member of one of the largest Internet cigar forums, we are having a discussion regarding fake Cuban cigars and I was asked to contact your firm regarding the box clasps made by your company.

According to the enclosed Habanos cigar journal, your company is the only manufacturer of the box clasps. However many of our members say they have genuine Cuban cigars in boxes with clasps made in Italy.

We are hoping you could help us clear up this matter.

Sincerely,

Shawn Adams

I'll be sure to post the answer as soon as I get it :)

Oh wow, I just received an email back that I will be personally contacted by the owner of the company sometime next week when she returns from a business trip on Monday :0

Sehr geehrter Herr Adams,

unsere Frau Schmale ist in dieser Woche nicht im Hause. Sie werden im Laufe der nächsten Woche von uns hören.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Heinz-Georg Huckschlag

LOL Wilkey, what have you guys got me into now :p

Ginseng said:
Ummm, do I know you? Who told you my name was Wilkey?
[snapback]294835[/snapback]​

When they torture me, I'll be sure to rat you out ;)