• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyway to preserve a partially smoked cigar?

Lupa Namfauk

I know many of you are saying to yourselves what a dumb question. Well there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people asking questions! Sometimes, because of time limitations or I just do not want to smoke for another 1/2 hour, I would like to put it out. Is there anyway to preserve it for the next evening without it tasting like nothing but stale smoke?

Not really. Best you can do is cut off the burnt part, maybe about a 1/2 inch above the burn line. When the cigar is out, blow out or purge the air in the smoke, too. Purging is the important part, so that stale smoky air doesn't sit inside the cigar.

But it still won't taste the same, imo. :)

---John Holmes...

I know many of you are saying to yourselves what a dumb question. Well there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people asking questions! Sometimes, because of time limitations or I just do not want to smoke for another 1/2 hour, I would like to put it out. Is there anyway to preserve it for the next evening without it tasting like nothing but stale smoke?

In short, no. I have done this once a long time ago and never again. If you only have 1/2 hour and don't want to "waste" part of a cigar, smoke a short cigar.

Keep some Short Stories on hand.

I have clipped the burnt end, purged the cigar and smoked the rest later in the day though, tasted a little different, but was still quite good. I wouldn't try to save it passed the day that you initially lit it though, will taste stale.

Try this for an experiment:

Smoke a cigar, and save the butt (outside) for a day or two. Go back to it, and it won't smell all that great... :whistling:

1) Let the cigar go out completely, then cut the burnt part off.

2) Purge the cigar completely, (or as much as possible).

3) Store it in a baggie by itself.

Though I wouldn't wait too long to smoke the rest of it. (A few days at most, then I'd chuck it)

Another country heard from, and believe me, I stated this a year ago and many thought I was bonkers. Now that some have gotten to know me they are qualified to say that but that's not important right now.

I often get up in the morning (on a weekend vacation) and fire up a nice butt from the night before. Yes, the first several puffs are nasty but after those it is not so bad......but then the beer and martini in my hand may have an impact :D

The methods previously mentioned seem to be the norm. I will say that I think some smokes re-light better than others.
I had some illusiones that were in the ashtray in my garage for at least a week minimum. I relit one, and it had no carbon/acrid taste at all. it was good, but differant than the fresh taste. I smoked it to the nub, and then the others as well. I found it quite remakable, and wonder if the time or the tobacco.

I'll add another 'no' to this thread. I have never had good luck even coming back an hour or two later. Like was said, smoke shorter cigars.

You could also take up pipe smoking. There are many blends that are quite good (some better) after going out and sitting for a while. It's called the Delayed Gratification Technique or DGT among pipe smokers.

Good luck!

The methods previously mentioned seem to be the norm. I will say that I think some smokes re-light better than others.
I had some illusiones that were in the ashtray in my garage for at least a week minimum. I relit one, and it had no carbon/acrid taste at all. it was good, but differant than the fresh taste. I smoked it to the nub, and then the others as well. I found it quite remakable, and wonder if the time or the tobacco.
Excellent for your cigar budget. If you can smoke a stick left in your ashtray for one week, you can smoke anything! :laugh:

Brian

Cigar too big to finish? How about cutting a cigar in half before lighting it? Does a half cigar make a difference?

Another no...
As stated above: if the cigar is really too big, cut in half.

Fleshing out my prior post a bit...

My advice is to smoke smaller cigars. Chopping them in half risks all kinds of unraveling.

BTW, what means this:

...or I just do not want to smoke for another 1/2 hour
?

:D

That is exactly what it means, after about the third, "honey, how much longer are you going to be?", I usually just relent and re-assume my station within the relationship! So now that I know the correct solution is shorter cigars, what are some of everyones favorite short ones? I like robust cigars and since I only ususally smoke after dinner on the weekends (2 or 3 each week), I do not mind dropping some coin on something very good, recommendations? I know Kingantz told me he enjoys AF Hemingway Short Stories. I believe I saw some Padron 1926 #35's at the B&M store last weekend. How about Opus?