• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

McLaren wanted Piastri to have the win since he led the race prior to Lando's pit stop that allowed him to pass Piastri. I understand that McLaren wants to make Piastri happy with a win but this could bite them in the ass later in the season. Lando is the best threat against Max and Lando is going to need every point he can get to win the championship. We shall see how this plays out.

Absolutely! It's not often a team wins a race and looks incompetent at the same time.

There are currently 5 open seats for 2025. Does anyone know the email address where I can send in my resume? I just want to be sure I’m not left out of the process. Lol

I get that McLaren were trying to cover a threat from Lewis by pitting Lando when they did. Sure. My main issue with it is that Piastri was on 4 lap fresher tires and still couldn't keep pace with, never mind close the gap, on Lando. Had Oscar been able to get closer and actually show that the had the pace to lead the race, then I wouldn't have been so personally against the idea. Instead, you take the guy who has been loyal to the team in the leanest of years -- the guy who is actually becoming a legitimate threat to Max and Red Bull -- and slap the points away from him just to make their #2 driver's mum have something funny to post on Instagram. :/

Well, moral of the story, make sure you're not too light at the end of the race.

I'm confused why both Mercedes cars wouldn't weigh the same. Absolutely crushing for Russel I'm sure, but rules are rules.

Good question. I assume that each side of the garage is responsible for setting up the cars, and will attempt to get as close to the minimum weight as possible. Strategists gamble on a lot of things, hoping that events play out in their favor. One theory floated is that tires lose an appreciable amount of weight as they degrade throughout a stint, and drivers will consciously pick up discarded "marbles" on the cool down lap after the race to try and balance that out and add some weight back on to the car. Spa is so large that there is no cool down lap, and since George did such a long stint on his tires, he may have degraded more weight than the strategists calculated for.

Another theory is, "It's only cheating if you get caught..." :)

Good question. I assume that each side of the garage is responsible for setting up the cars, and will attempt to get as close to the minimum weight as possible. Strategists gamble on a lot of things, hoping that events play out in their favor. One theory floated is that tires lose an appreciable amount of weight as they degrade throughout a stint, and drivers will consciously pick up discarded "marbles" on the cool down lap after the race to try and balance that out and add some weight back on to the car. Spa is so large that there is no cool down lap, and since George did such a long stint on his tires, he may have degraded more weight than the strategists calculated for.

Another theory is, "It's only cheating if you get caught..." :)
That seems to be the leading theory...I think it would be entirely reasonable to request a fresh set of tires for the weigh in if they allow drivers to pick up marbles in the other races. Or they should just weigh the cars beforehand.

That seems to be the leading theory...I think it would be entirely reasonable to request a fresh set of tires for the weigh in if they allow drivers to pick up marbles in the other races. Or they should just weigh the cars beforehand.
Or teams could ensure that their cars really do meet the minimum weight requirements, and not gamble on a technicality to get them through inspection. ;) Merc isn't challenging it, so Toto knows they made a bet that didn't pay off. Nineteen other cars made it through weigh ins, FWIW. Cars are weighed after the race to confirm that there were no shenanigans that would have dropped weight after pre-race tech inspection (if that was the way officials did things). There's a rich history of teams finding ways to get past regulations.

Or teams could ensure that their cars really do meet the minimum weight requirements, and not gamble on a technicality to get them through inspection. ;) Merc isn't challenging it, so Toto knows they made a bet that didn't pay off. Nineteen other cars made it through weigh ins, FWIW. Cars are weighed after the race to confirm that there were no shenanigans that would have dropped weight after pre-race tech inspection (if that was the way officials did things). There's a rich history of teams finding ways to get past regulations.

Off topic, for a moment:

I've always thought that boxing/wrestling/etc, sports where weighing in was necessary, should be done after the match. Not where someone pulls weight (loses 20 lbs) just to make weight.

Isn’t it like this in every part of motorsports racing? It’s like if your not cheating your not tryin. Or it’s only cheating if you get caught? Lol

No no, you're 100% right. Rules are rules, every other driver did not have an issue with weigh in, so it was definitely on Mercedes. I think the point I was trying to make was that it seems silly to exclude one variable weight factor (fuel) for the weigh in and include the only other variable weight factor (tires). I have no idea how much weight is lost during a race from tire degradation, but it seems to be enough to warrant picking up marbles after each race.

I personally don't think it was intentional and perhaps could have been directly caused by a last minute strategy change that was not accounted for before the race (assuming its feasible to lose 1.5kg) in tire weight.

No no, you're 100% right. Rules are rules, every other driver did not have an issue with weigh in, so it was definitely on Mercedes. I think the point I was trying to make was that it seems silly to exclude one variable weight factor (fuel) for the weigh in and include the only other variable weight factor (tires). I have no idea how much weight is lost during a race from tire degradation, but it seems to be enough to warrant picking up marbles after each race.

I personally don't think it was intentional and perhaps could have been directly caused by a last minute strategy change that was not accounted for before the race (assuming its feasible to lose 1.5kg) in tire weight.
The cars are drained of fuel prior to being weighed, so that is a constant, not a variable in this case. There must be, I think it is, 2 litres of fuel left to be analyzed post-race (Sebastian Vettel knows all about this one), but it is all removed prior to the scale. I've read "up to 5 kg" as to what is an expected tire degradation, but that is not a hill I'm willing to die on. I think it was just a strategic gamble that bit them. So it goes...

The cars are drained of fuel prior to being weighed, so that is a constant, not a variable in this case. There must be, I think it is, 2 litres of fuel left to be analyzed post-race (Sebastian Vettel knows all about this one), but it is all removed prior to the scale. I've read "up to 5 kg" as to what is an expected tire degradation, but that is not a hill I'm willing to die on. I think it was just a strategic gamble that bit them. So it goes...
I mean variable as in weight, which is why they drain it. Tires also vary in weight from car to car depending on how many laps they've done on them, so I think its weird that they don't remove those as well. The teams know that, so its obviously on them to make sure they're compliant. I just think controlling for one variable weight component (fuel), but not the other (tires) is strange.

I mean variable as in weight, which is why they drain it. Tires also vary in weight from car to car depending on how many laps they've done on them, so I think its weird that they don't remove those as well. The teams know that, so its obviously on them to make sure they're compliant. I just think controlling for one variable weight component (fuel), but not the other (tires) is strange.
Ah, ok, I get what you are saying now. I can kind of see that reasoning, for sure. My thoughts on the fuel, especially after the Vettel DQ uproar a few seasons ago, is since we know exactly what 2 liters of fuel weighs, why drain it in the first place? Just add that to the minimum weight. The samples can be collected after the scales, But, is what is and I'm sure there's a reason for doing it the way they do it that I'm not aware -- nor influential of -- from here behind my keyboard. 🤣