• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

After smoking my first few Cubans...

What Wilkey and B.B.S. said. My only regret is that some of the NCs are getting way too pricey!
That is absolutely true. Many have remarked on the observation that Cubans provide better smoking value for the dollar than comparable quality NCs and I tend to agree. I'd guess that the average cost of the C's I enjoy is $4-8 while the NC range is more like $8-12.

One has to wonder about the relative distribution of cost components in NC versus C pricing. Marketing and packaging cost contributions must be significantly different between the two. For example, production Habanos come in plain cedar SLB/cabs or dressed boxes while NCs seem to be coming in fancier and fancier packaging. Think CAO Sopranos and Vision, Gurkha Titan, Camacho (new boxes).

Wilkey

This is interesting indeed! I am a relative novice regarding ISOM's but I would have to say there are a number of great $7 - $10 ISOM's yet that range puts you in the middle to upper end of the premium NC range and nowhere near the super premium NC's

Interesting that this is being brought up as I have been wondering about this to myself for some time. Personally, as others have stated, there is more value on the whole with cubans as compared to NCs. I can buy aged Havanas cheaper than most premium NCs which are just average at best. It is also easier to get cubans for me, than to get a lot of htf NCs.

NCs are more of a "change-of-pace" cigar for me now-a-days. I would say I have 8 cubans for every NC I have in my humidor. I have yet to find a regular production NC to give me the kind of complexity and coffee bean flavors that I find in MOST cubans. Now, the Padron Millenium I had was easily the BEST cigar ever for me......but the next NC on my "all time best list" is not even in the top 10.

For me, it has nothing to do with, "ohhhh, cuban cigars. WOW.....it's illegal!!" For my taste, they are what works for me. For others, Padron, Fuente, and other NCs are their go-to smokes. Different strokes for different folks....

I feel like never smoking anything but.

Been smoking Cohiba Siglo IV's, and PSD4's, they're simply the best cigars I've ever smoked, smoothness like no other.. And so sweet..

(Smoking a psd4 as I post this!)

How many of you feel the same way?

After eating my first Thai meal, I've been eating nothing but Pad Thai, Chicken Chuche, Lemongrass Beef, etc. It's simply the best food in the world, with smoothness and sweetness like no other.

(Eating some Pad Thai as I post this!)

What Wilkey and B.B.S. said. My only regret is that some of the NCs are getting way too pricey!
That is absolutely true. Many have remarked on the observation that Cubans provide better smoking value for the dollar than comparable quality NCs and I tend to agree. I'd guess that the average cost of the C's I enjoy is $4-8 while the NC range is more like $8-12.

One has to wonder about the relative distribution of cost components in NC versus C pricing. Marketing and packaging cost contributions must be significantly different between the two. For example, production Habanos come in plain cedar SLB/cabs or dressed boxes while NCs seem to be coming in fancier and fancier packaging. Think CAO Sopranos and Vision, Gurkha Titan, Camacho (new boxes).

Wilkey

Well, that's easy. The price of labor in Cuban is dirt compared to the price of labor in the Dominican and elsewhere that cigars are manufactured. Viva la Revolucion!

I find it very interesting that two of the non-USA CP members who chimed in here (and thus have legal access to Cuban cigars) both held a contrary opinion.

Any time I see someone make blanket statements about cigars based on country of origin, I just roll my eyes. "Cuban cigars" means nothing; tell me what brands you like. I promise you that you will not like all cigars that come from Cuba.

I was merely stating my newfound affection for something I have never tried before. I found your comment uncalled for, and completely irrelevant. I understand that not all Cubans will be as satisfying as the couple I've smoked, and in no way can I imagine myself only smoking one brand for the rest of my life.

You cannot compare the food of one country, to the vice of one country.

Cigar smoking is a pass time, which I only get to enjoy about once or twice a week. Food is something everyone eats 2-3 times a day.

I'll happy drink a Corona a few days a week with my meal, but I won't eat Mexican food more than once a month for example.

Anyways, this is a Cuban cigar forum is it not? I just wanted to share my excitement of finding something that I truly enjoyed..

You've left a bitter taste with me Moki.

As to everyone else, thanks for your input, I've realized that while the cigars aforementioned were incredibly smooth, maybe I won't be in the mood for a smooth cigar at times, and will revert back to the spicier Tatuaje Noellas which I've learned to love.

I was merely stating my newfound affection for something I have never tried before. I found your comment uncalled for, and completely irrelevant.

Damn... thin skin in here...

I was merely stating my newfound affection for something I have never tried before. I found your comment uncalled for, and completely irrelevant. I understand that not all Cubans will be as satisfying as the couple I've smoked, and in no way can I imagine myself only smoking one brand for the rest of my life.

Cigar smoking is a pass time, which I only get to enjoy about once or twice a week. Food is something everyone eats 2-3 times a day.

I'll happy drink a Corona a few days a week with my meal, but I won't eat Mexican food more than once a month for example.

Anyways, this is a Cuban cigar forum is it not? I just wanted to share my excitement of finding something that I truly enjoyed..

Okay, let me try again, then. Here's a vice for vice comparison for you, something you might do only once or twice a week.

After drinking my first French wine, I've been drinking nothing but Pouilly Fuisse, Chateau Latour, Mouton Rothschild, etc. It's simply the best wine in the world, with smoothness and sweetness like no other.

(Drinking some Pouilly Fuisse as I post this!)

If it's not scotch, it's craaaaaaaaaaaap!

Okay, let me try again, then. Here's a vice for vice comparison for you, something you might do only once or twice a week.

After drinking my first French wine, I've been drinking nothing but Pouilly Fuisse, Chateau Latour, Mouton Rothschild, etc. It's simply the best wine in the world, with smoothness and sweetness like no other.

(Drinking some Pouilly Fuisse as I post this!)

Andrew,

You have the audacity to leave Lafite Rothschild off of that list? Blasphemy! :)

Izzy, let me try to help you. You shouldn't come to this site having a couple posts and challenge someone who is quite regarded here. It would be in your best interest to read more and post less. Really it's standard stuff...search engine (which is new and improved mind you!) is your friend. In my short time here, I have never suggested that a response to a thread that I started was "uncalled for" or "irrelevant". Tuck your head, apologize and we'll likely move on.

Izzy, let me try to help you. You shouldn't come to this site having a couple posts and challenge someone who is quite regarded here. It would be in your best interest to read more and post less. Really it's standard stuff...search engine (which is new and improved mind you!) is your friend. In my short time here, I have never suggested that a response to a thread that I started was "uncalled for" or "irrelevant". Tuck your head, apologize and we'll likely move on.
I'm with you on this one bro! Well said.

No, I think he's right, I came off as rather caustic. But I mean c'mon... it wasn't exactly up there on the list of things to get your panties in a bunch about. :)