• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would you do?

Lupa Namfauk

Starting a coolerdor and the internal dimensions of the cooler are 1' x 1' x 2' = 2 cubic feet. A half pound of Heartfelt beads is recommended for a maximum of 2.5 cubic feet and they said it does not hurt to have more beads than is called for. Would there be any advantage to using 1 lb of beads or is that overkill? Also, would it be best to place those beads in a bead bag or some time of dish?
Thanks,
Paul

The advantage is that you wouldn't have to charge the beads as often. No disadvantages as far as I can tell.

I don't have a coolerdor (yet), but from the one's I have seen they are usually in some type of a dish. I'm not sure if that gives any advantage, but if it's good enough for these guys, it's good enough for me.

It doesn't hurt but I wouldn't put that much in there. You can also get mesh bags from them to put the beads in.....a lot less messy than trying to put them on a plate or dish in a coolidor.

I was reading on a different thread where BBS stated that he used the tubes and bags and merely places the distillied water in a spray bottle and moistens the beads in that manner.

I've also got an igloo marine cooler on deck for when I am ready to move up to a larger storage container, but it is approximately 7.5 cubic feet and it doesn't make a lot of sense to fill it full of empty cigar boxes for a small, but growing collection. Hopefully someday soon though.

I was reading on a different thread where BBS stated that he used the tubes and bags and merely places the distillied water in a spray bottle and moistens the beads in that manner.

That is what the directions say to do. I think the main goal is just to get 70% or so of the beads wet.

That is what the directions say to do. I think the main goal is just to get 70% or so of the beads wet.

Yep, pretty much. I use the mesh bags and a spray bottle with mine. I have not had any issues since I went to beads.

Bill

As stated, the advantage would be that less humidification tinkering would likely be required. The disadvantage would be about another $15 hit to your wallet. Like many accessories, it's all about the value they provide to you. Would you rather tinker (a bit) more or spend (a bit) more?

I keep my humidification beads in mesh bags. Aquarium mesh bags I purchased at the local pet supply store. You can get 'em even cheaper online, but I was in a rush that day. I know lots o' guys who put theirs inside nylon stockings. To each their own. All setups, including inside dishes or trays, will work.

I got my wife to buy a pack of stockings, cut off about six inches, filled it up with beads, and tied the end off. Spritzed it with some distilled water and I was good to go. Worked perfect for me. I've also got several bowls of beads in my wine-a-dors that work fine as well (except when I forget there's one on the very top in the back and accidentally knock it over). :laugh: ???

I got my wife to buy a pack of stockings, cut off about six inches, filled it up with beads, and tied the end off. Spritzed it with some distilled water and I was good to go. Worked perfect for me. I've also got several bowls of beads in my wine-a-dors that work fine as well (except when I forget there's one on the very top in the back and accidentally knock it over). :laugh: ???

What, you cant buy your own nylons?? :whistling:

I agree with most people that have replied to this thread. Get the beads, we all know you'll need them one day :). Also, use a mesh bag, whether its nylons or if its from Viper's store, basically no difference. I currenly use 1/2 lb of beads in my 46qt cooler - always is rock steady. I have a few other humidifiers floating around the bottom LOL. I also have 1/2lb of beads in my 16qt cooler. Viper approved both of these, so I just went with it! If you really aren't sure...contact him, and he'll give you a straight answer and wont even call you lazy :laugh: .

I have beads in pantyhose in one cooler, and beads in mesh bags in another. The pantyhose is a little more flexible, so I have them in those cheap Glad-ware containers. The mesh one are in a shallow, rectangle Rubbermaid container. I have 2 pounds of beads in each cooler, with Oust fans (with-out the scent cartridge).

Starting a coolerdor and the internal dimensions of the cooler are 1' x 1' x 2' = 2 cubic feet. A half pound of Heartfelt beads is recommended for a maximum of 2.5 cubic feet and they said it does not hurt to have more beads than is called for. Would there be any advantage to using 1 lb of beads or is that overkill? Also, would it be best to place those beads in a bead bag or some time of dish?
Thanks,
Paul

I am very terrible at math and at the risk of humiliation I have to ask. Is this not 4 cubic feet of volume/space?

Lou

I started off the same way. Started with a small cooler, less than 2 cu.ft. Moved up to a cooler that was about 4 cu. ft., then onto a 120 qt. I tell you this. The small cooler needed very little humidification to maintain 65-70% RH.

Definitely use the mesh bags.