• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Was this real?

switters

Clinging to my guns!
This guy I know bought this cigar while on his honeymoon. I know that the picture isn't the greatest but I thought maybe one of you gurus could tell.
IMG_1105.jpg

Yes...it is real.

Unless you've taken hallucinogens...then it's just a dream we dreamed...

Gary's right. It is, in fact, a real cigar.

Wilkey

Note: Punch Royal Coronations are quite uncommon. If he bought this cigar from anyplace other than a London shop that stocks deeply, then there's a chance it's a counterfeit. Counterfeit tubos are not uncommon.

Note: Punch Royal Coronations are quite uncommon. If he bought this cigar from anyplace other than a London shop that stocks deeply, then there's a chance it's a counterfeit. Counterfeit tubos are not uncommon.

Thanks. I suspected it was counterfeit.

What about it made you think fake though? I am very unintelligent about ISOMS, so am very curious as to alot of it. When the gurus speak, I try to see what and why..... lol. So far I am about as dumb as a rock about that subject!!

Don

What about it made you think fake though?

He didn't say it was a fake.

With that said... nobody can tell you from that picture. The key clue as to it most likely being a fake would be that he said it was picked up while on his honeymoon.

Thanks. I suspected it was counterfeit.

With that said... nobody can tell you from that picture. The key clue as to it most likely being a fake would be that he said it was picked up while on his honeymoon.

I was just going by this post. Figured he could tell me what he was thinking when he thought fake or if it was like you said and just cause his friend picked it up on his honeymoon. :)

Don

Got ya... thought you were asking Ginseng that question.

Long story short..... know your source.

He didn't type that he thought it was a counterfeit but I'll bet that's what was in his mind. After all, that's why folks make this kind of post here.

You're right that it's impossible to tell with certainty the status of that cigar from the photo he posted. And he didn't share any source or shop information or where he honeymooned either. I could, however, read the writing on the tube and various Royal Coronations (in three marcas IIRC) are long since discontinued. If he bought it as new stock, versus from a seller of vintage cigars, then that alone is enough information to cast doubt on the authenticity of that cigar. Just imagine if he had posted a picture of a 1492 or a Habanos Festival Mareva. From a stall in Barbados...fake. From Dunhill, JJ Fox, or Cigarro...authentic.

Wilkey

I thought it was a fake because he got it while on a cruise. I think it came from Grand Cayman.

There are reputable dealers in Grand Cayman, so that fact alone does not necessarily make it fake. But just like all Caribbean islands (except Jamaica which is about 100:1 ratio of counterfeiters to real), there are a dozen counterfeit sellers for every legit shop, so the odds are that an uninformed buyer is going to get taken.

It would be hard to say from the picture, unless we could zoom in on the tube itself and compare to a known specimen.

But what Wilkey said also plays a big part, and that is the availability of such a cigar, and that it just can't be found at any old Habanos SA shop.

I donno the source, but it is a Punch Royal Coronations, i have a box of those in my cabinet, they look pretty much like those

Wilkey

They are in almost every single B&M in Germany Wilkey. Cheap too.

*edit* So your saying that they stopped making these? I guess I should stock up. They are one of the better 3 Euro cigars out there.

Wilkey

They are in almost every single B&M in Germany Wilkey. Cheap too.

*edit* So your saying that they stopped making these? I guess I should stock up. They are one of the better 3 Euro cigars out there.
Well if they are that plentiful then it must be a regional thing or a rerelease. The "Royal Coronation" have been the singularly most difficult tubes to find in my quest for Cuban tubes.

Wilkey

Interesting that Trevor has 2 different Punch Royal Coronations listed on his site:

-A corona, "Pre 1960 to 2001."
-A conserva, "Pre 1960. Handmade since circa 2002. Believed discontinued 2007."

If it were simple, it would be boring... :D

It would be hard to say from the picture, unless we could zoom in on the tube itself and compare to a known specimen.

Well technically, all you would be authenticating is the tube. :sign:

Well technically, all you would be authenticating is the tube. :sign:

Very true (smartass)

But on the flip side, I doubt many vendors would put a legit cigar in a flawed, obviously fake tube.