• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VSG Spellbound

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
I am planning on smoking my first VSG this weekend ... VSG Spellbound, what should I be expecting? Is this a pretty strong cigar?

Mike

Well, it depends:

A) The cigar has a few years on it and will taste great.
B) The cigar will be fresh and taste like almost nothing.

As of late, every time I give a fresh Ashton a go, I want my money back. The construction is always top-notch but the peppery peaty goodness is just missing.

-Mark

Well, it depends:

As of late, every time I give a fresh Ashton a go, I want my money back. The construction is always top-notch but the peppery peaty goodness is just missing.

-Mark

Will it knock me on my A$$ ... I've heard its a pretty strong stick. What is it comparable to?

I've had some full bodied cigars before.

Well, it depends:

-Mark

Will it knock me on my A$$ ... I've heard its a pretty strong stick. What is it comparable to?

I've had some full bodied cigars before.

I've never had an Ashton knock me on my A$$ :laugh:. You are being too vague. What do you mean by strong? Is this Ashton VSG a fresh stick?

-Mark

The Wizard is quite heavy on the nicotine, but I don't know about Spellbound.

I've never had an Ashton knock me on my A$$ :laugh:. You are being too vague. What do you mean by strong? Is this Ashton VSG a fresh stick?

-Mark

I guess what I am asking is will I get a nic kick?

While I tend to think the VSGs are more full bodied, I've never been kicked in the stomach by the nicotine. The larger ring gauges, to me, aren't what the VSGs are about. While they're good IMO, try a Tres Mystique or Corona Gorda to really get the VSG profile.

What to expect? Expect about 90 minutes of smoking, medium-full bodied, not too bad of a nicotine kick, with a great SG flavor.

Of course, I'm not really a great reviewer, but I think you'll enjoy it.

I had my first one last week. I wasn't impressed really. It didn't taste like much of anything. Well, that isn't really fair. It wasn't tasteless, but the flavor was mild and I was expecting a full-flavored stick. I didn't find it strong either.

D

Thanks guys, I can't wait to light one up.

I will follow up and let you all know how it went.

Mike

I personally don't think these are strong in nicotine either. With age it's smooth and on the mild-medium side while recent ones are sweet with a sun grown bite on a medium/med-full side. Regardless I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Wouldn't hurt to have a full stomach in case it's too much for you. You want a strong kick cigar, smoke a LFD or coronado.

You want a strong kick cigar, smoke a LFD or coronado.

I have a few of these (LFD Chisel, Factory Press, and a Coranado Corona Gorda) and I am moving in that direction, but I am taking baby steps, plus a few months in the coolidor can't hurt. :D

I'll add my $.02 - I've not had a VSG with anything more than about 6 mos. of age on it (that's how old the box of CGs in my cooler is, anyway), but even the fresh ones I have smoked have all been among the smoothest cigars I've had, right down to the nub every time. IMO, you have to be sure to let the cigar dry out a little bit before smoking it, though, as at 70% the flavors are too muted. Closer to 60%, I think, is probably best. I never smoke VSGs straight from my B&M anymore for that reason, and once they've had a month or more in my humi the flavors open up a lot better. Although I have not smoked all the sizes (or probably even half of them), I agree with Brandon on the large vs. small ring as well; in my experience the smaller cigars really kick it up a notch in the flavor department - the Tres Mystique, Illusion, and Corona Gorda are awesome, and they're the only sizes I even buy anymore.

Expectations can be a dangerous thing.

Many like these very much, some don't. I fall into the latter category. It's not that they're bad by any means, they're just not my cup of tea. I was pretty let down after my first couple, I just couldn't see what all the hype was about. The last few I smoked were much better, but I'm just not a fan. Tastes and flavor stuff is all VERY subjective.

You can expect a very well constructed cigar with great volumes of smoke.

VSGs are not really known to be nic bombs, but everyone has different tolerances.

Good luck to you!

:)

Expectations can be a dangerous thing.
X2!!

Just smoke it and let us know what you think. I find that the more excited I get about a cigar, the more disappointing it is... but only because of my expectations.

---John Holmes...

The VSG is the BEST cigar on the market....you will be hearing colors and touching dreams after the first 5 minutes...

Oh...wrong forum...

Smoke it and let us know! :thunbs:

How does one find out how if it is a fresh stick or not? My B&M has them in stock but I don't know for how long.

The local B&M I go to usually lets his new orders sit for 2-3 months before he puts them on sale ... bit frustrating but well worth the wait.

He has a couple of Perdomo Cabinet Series and Davidoff Diademas Finas 2006 that he has sitting in his walk in Humi for display but won't open them for a while.